Options

Tearstock Trip Planner

AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
Planning on going to Tearstock and planning a cross country trip.  Right now, I have one setup in Roadtrippers.  I'd like to travel about 450 miles a day.  Are there any trip planners out there that would allow me to do this?
Allie
Condo A-Go-Go
2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
S. UTAH

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Allie, you can still find Microsoft Streets & Trips for the PC. It allows you set set a start and stop time as well as automatically build in breaks after so many hours of driving. It is no longer published, but still very good and uses off line maps. If you do a Web search for "mega poi file" you can download and open a map with a ton of points of interest. It includes Walmart overnight, among others, campgrounds, dump stations, and many more.

It also let's you calculate your costs based on mileage and enter current gas prices. 

I have not found an equal to it for route planning. Yes there other apps, but none that do the scheduling and multi-day trips.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Allie - What platform or mobile device you looking for?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I use my Android phone as a GPS.  Less equipment to carry and don't have to worry about WI fi.  But, I do have an old Garmin stashed in the glove compartment. 
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Ok, I'm iOS so not familiar with what's available over there.
  • Options
    Got the answer:  FURKOT
    It give you the options to enter starting point, round trip or one way, number of miles to drive each day, number of miles between fill ups, average miles per hour, add locations you're stopping at, how many nights you will be there.  Perfect program.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Oooooo Thanks Allie!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    It's not bad, but you can only pick one start time. So, for example, if I want to drive after work for a couple of hours, on a Friday, I can't have a separate start time front he rest of the weekend. I also like being able to calculate in breaks and budget fuel. But, it is better than anything else apart from Streets &  Trips I have seen. Bing is working on adding at least some of these features into their Maps.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My father used to take weeks to prepare a printed itinerary for an 8 hr trip to Arkansas. We were allowed only a 15 minute break at a specific rest stop (3 adults, 2 dogs). IF we got done early, we had to wait until the 15 minutes was up. This was on every trip, even after he and Mother were retired. 

Does this explain why I "fly by the seat of my pants" without reservations in my travels?  I know I get to see more and have flexibility, and have more fun. 

But, to each their own. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I remember when my DH would get Triptiks from AAA for everything. You'd have to get them way in advance so they could research road construction, shortest routes, etc. Google and Garmin are SO much better, and lend themselves to relaxed, spontaneous adventures. 

To to answer the OP's question, I just use Google Earth for trip planning. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Verna said:
    My father used to take weeks to prepare a printed itinerary for an 8 hr trip to Arkansas. We were allowed only a 15 minute break at a specific rest stop (3 adults, 2 dogs). IF we got done early, we had to wait until the 15 minutes was up. This was on every trip, even after he and Mother were retired. 

Does this explain why I "fly by the seat of my pants" without reservations in my travels?  I know I get to see more and have flexibility, and have more fun. 

But, to each their own. 
    If you only have 3 days to get across country, it can be helpful to know how long each leg will take. I plan, a lot, but I find I get better use of my time by planning. I also find that the more I plan, the better able I am to adjust if I need or want to change my schedule or itinerary. Until I retire, my time is limited.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    jkjenn said:
    Verna said:

But, to each their own. 
    If you only have 3 days to get across country, it can be helpful to know how long each leg will take. I plan, a lot, but I find I get better use of my time by planning. I also find that the more I plan, the better able I am to adjust if I need or want to change my schedule or itinerary. Until I retire, my time is limited.
    That's why I said "to each their own". I worked for almost 40 years for one company and October was when I had to select my vacation time for the next year.  I was one of a few that stuck to my selection 98% of the time, due to planning.  

Just remember when you do retire, you can take that side road or spend a day or two longer.  There are rewards for having worked for a goal. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    That's why I said "to each their own". I worked for almost 40 years for one company and October was when I had to select my vacation time for the next year.  I was one of a few that stuck to my selection 98% of the time, due to planning.  

Just remember when you do retire, you can take that side road or spend a day or two longer.  There are rewards for having worked for a goal. 
    Yes, and it will be quite a while.... and I cannot wait. It is also one of the reasons I would like to move to FT so that I can spend extended time while I am working.

• Options
    Planning - Just tried lookin that up in my dictionery and found that page ripped out so don't know what ya'll are talking about.
  • Options
    I like that it indicates approximately the time and places for gas stops.  Also, an important need, is where I will be sleeping at night since my plans are to stay at Walmart and truck stops.  This gives me an opportunity to research the area rather than wing it.  I got caught last x-country trip travelling until midnight in the pouring rain in VA on I-81 because I could not find a truck stop or Walmart.  It just gives me more security when travelling alone.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Just a note.  Streets and trips has been discontinued by Microsoft.  Not sure I'd invest in an officially discontinued product at this point.  
  • Options
    mash2 said:
    Just a note.  Streets and trips has been discontinued by Microsoft.  Not sure I'd invest in an officially discontinued product at this point.  
    Yeah, I submitted an idea on Bing user voice to bring over some of the features and that status says planned, but imam not sure which features they will bring. Because of the free mega POI file you ca download, I think it's still worth up to $40 if you can find it, but that's just me.

• Options
    I'm not going to use this so much as to plan relaxed trips in the truck pulling to camper, but when I take the motorcycle out. I do want to know what the roads are like and where construction stuff exists when riding it. It's awfully hot on a Harley sitting in construction delayed traffic (in the summer) lol. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    You mean that leather doesn't breath :-)
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Verna said:

But, to each their own. 
    I think Becky would hurt me if I were like that.

All rest stops go something like this:

I see the rest area, 1 mile sign.  If she is asleep (very likely) I keep driving.  If she is awake, "Do you need to stop?"

"I think I am good."

We pull in.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    You mean that leather doesn't breath :-)
    It does breathe, but it seems to be equivalent to a Dragon's breathing temp (according to "How to Train Your Dragon"). lol
  • Options
    I know there probably not a lot of geocachers here, but one trick I use is to look up potential destinations or layovers on the geocaching web site. Local people often place geocaches at scenic or interesting spots. I know that if a geocache has received a lot of favorite points from visitors it will be worth a stop. 
  • Options
    I have a friend who geocaches and she said the same thing. If I didn't have a bad hip where I can't hike more than a quarter mile without pain, I'd be all over that hobby. I love hearing the places and stuff my friend has discovered (and left her trinkets too). It's like a great big scavenger hunt, but without disturbing anything. Sounds like fun times!
  • Options
    @Ratkity, you can still geocache. Every geocache has a terrain rating from 1 star (wheelchair accessible) to 5 stars (extreme terrain requiring special equipment like scuba gear or climbing harnesses.)
  • Options
    Oh wow, Photomom. I had no idea! Scuba gear and climbing harnesses??! *gulp* Some of them geocachers mean serious bidness! :)
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    I'm a mild version of Vera's dad and love to plan our trips in advance.  This includes allowing for a geocache or two and the many special places we have visited as a result.  I always focus on Earthcache style caches first for interest and views.  

Another place to checkout to make travel more interesting is the site "Roadside America".  You do have to use some discretion on what is interesting, and still there. They don't seem to update their list as well as they should.

For us the travel time is part of the camping trip and must be enjoyed.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    Here are some friends of mine looking for a geocache (I did not do this one.) The geocache is hidden halfway down the cliff. You would never know this cool place were here if there wasn't a geocache hidden there.

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Camping World has Streets &Trips for $50 plus about $12 shipping. Says it's not eligible for free shipping

2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    The only planning my dad did was - Here's point A, Here's point B - We're going to get from A to B as fast as we can.
  • Options
    What if there's point B,C,D,E,F,G,H and I?
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Tgere were never waypoints between.