Options

Mud & Tongue Caster Wheel Dock

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
I don't use a "foot" for my tongue, only the caster that came with he T@b. For those of you doing likewise, especially those who boondocks, do you feel the need to put anything under the wheel when camping in a spot that could get like soup if it rained hard? I have a Camco wheel dock, but trying to decide if I need to pack it. I am thinking of this photo @OutbackAZ
posted recently in this thread and some of the spots @PXLated frequents.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I use a flat plastic plate - Think it's a leveling pad from a big rig - found it in the middle of the road. It's about a 15" square. Keeps the wheel from sinking into the sand and allows me to still move the hitch around a bit.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Agree with PXLated - wider surface area is best to prevent wheel from sinking. Main wheel chocks and stabilizer bars are enough to keep Tab from moving.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2016
    We have a couple of 18" squares of 3/4" plywood. 

We've been known to move the tongue around in the mud or deep gravel by moving the plywood, then rolling onto it, then moving the other piece and rolling onto it, etc.

I bought one of those 'wheel docks' while we waited for our Tab to arrive, and have used it once!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I use something similar to the pic you posted Jenn, works very well.   
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Norm - Other than you can't move it :-)
  • Options
    I'll bite: why would I need to move it after I have it where I want it?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn - Haven't you ever need to wrangle your hitch an inch or so when hooking up? If it's set, no go. Now, if you have a backup camera, reflective tape, etc. like Verna so you're dead on the hitch, ok, you're good to go as long as your TV is perfectly level and doesn't roll or settle when put in park - I've never owned one of those myself.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My backup camera is useless in the rain. The camera is in the tailgate latch. Other than that, it does pretty good in daylight and at nighttime. I still need to wrangle the camper at times because so far, no SP has been level with TV hitched (seems to be a slight incline up to the pad. It has just enough angle to need to rock the truck a little to ease the tension.

Ok. I admit it. Sometimes a good mallet whack is necessary (has lithium grease on inside coupler and latch mechanism already). If I'm really ticked off, I threaten it with a claw hammer (Zombies are still undeterred by the violence.. they seem attracted to it.. just beware!). ;)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Yeah, I have a backup camera now and it is so easy to get it lined up, dead-on. It can be a little harder with shadows. I will have to get some reflective tape - that's brilliant!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I back up my driveway from the south to the north, and there are no shadows. But, when I figured out why I couldn't always hit the spot every time because of shadows that I don't have at home, I put three pieces of reflective tape on the tongue and I can hit it first time, every time....even if the camera is blurry with raindrops. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks, @Verna. That is another one of your brilliant ideas!

• Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2016
    Hmm wonder what the handles were designed for
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    Tonydjd said:
    Verna you'll are so funny I thought the handles were put there so we could  move the units over to the TV =)=)
    Not in my driveway!  There is about a 24" drop in 75', which, while it doesn't sound like much, I'm not getting in front of the T@B going downhill!  Reflective tape and a backup camera are invaluable. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2016
    Yeah us Flatland people have no clue. B) we don't even know what snow chains are or know what it means to winterize.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    Jenn/Verna - Make sure you're always on perfectly level sites or that TV shift will do you in - All it takes is an inch or so and you'll wish you could move it - Guaranteed
    I know you two will never let us know of that fail when it happens - it will - None of us like to admit failure :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn/Verna - Make sure you're always on perfectly level sites or that TV shift will do you in - All it takes is an inch or so and you'll wish you could move it - Guaranteed
    I know you two will never let us know of that fail when it happens - it will - None of us like to admit failure :-)
    You can actually counter that by leaning your weight into the direction you want to hold it or guide it. If it's only an inch or so, that generally works.

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I got one and found it actually increased my problems (couldn't adjust hitch anymore).  Haven't used it in a year and very happy not to....
  • Options
    I've been known to push on the tongue box to give me a 1/4" that I need. After all of the experience I've had with my sloping driveway, I'm really careful. A fourth knee surgery is something I want to avoid!  Plus, the chocks are never removed until I'm hitched. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Ugh! Careful with the knees, V!! Nice pict! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    To put tape on, must rub top of coupler clean. I wonder if a T@B genie appears afterwards that can grant wishes? 
  • Options
    You both just admitted you need to move that tongue a little once in awhile - Flat plastic pad - Easier, flexible, rollable ... End of story :-)
  • Options
    Thaw wheel doesn't move when I lean into it, just the coupler.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    IMPOSSIBLE - The two are connected. Other than the jack shaft has some flex :-)
  • Options
    LOL, OK, whatever you say. I must have imagined it. :)

• Options
    Aren't delusions and illusions and dreams wonderful :-)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,434
    You all make everything so complicated. I just lift the truck up with a rolling floor jack and position it under the trailer. Sooooo easy.  ;-)

Enough cabin fever. It's finally warm enough up here to get the T@B out of mothballs!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Something to be said for simplicity :-)
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    I have one of those docks and use it. Just fine. Lower the castor and ppush the t@b where i want it. Then lower the stabelizers. Now crank up the castor wheel a few inches. Place dock undernath, lower castor into the dock. Easy peasy. 
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    Tabster - Obviously you're not on sand or mud as you probably wouldn't be pushing the T@B around much :-)
  • Options
    I do a great MudMonster impression when I think I can move the T@B around like I used to with my little Reverse TD. LOL. I have yet to try sand. I just fixed one chipped tooth. I can see a faceplant in my future if I try to push anything as heavy as my T@Bitha sunk in the sand. Keeping a 750 lb Harley upright in the road sand from the recent flooding has been adventure enough for my heart. :lucky: