Options

why not digital AC?

B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Nobody here will have the answer why :-)
    Personally, the AC is the least important - or used - part of my T@B as I rarely camp with hookups. So for me, not an issue. Maybe they should offer it as an option.
    I know you couldn't get the thermostat gizmo to work but could swear there was a thread last summer where one did work.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358

Yep, the one with the thermostat is pretty cool.  Regarding the "labor" cost, I just removed my A/C for some other maintenance.  It is fairly easy to do. Here's the link for removing the A/C:

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2709/how-to-remove-the-air-conditioner/p1

BTW, because this is for the benefit of your dogs, I recommend just buying the thermostat unit and calling it good!

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Bob - The analog ones turn off the compressor (cooling) at temp but the fan keeps running - correct?
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The problem with the mark is that the outside temp will dictate where the temp setting settles inside no matter where you mark it. So on an 80F day, a low mark will keep it 72. On a 90F day, it'll change. Just my house experience with those type ACs.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Ratkity said:
    The problem with the mark is that the outside temp will dictate where the temp setting settles inside no matter where you mark it. So on an 80F day, a low mark will keep it 72. On a 90F day, it'll change. Just my house experience with those type ACs.
    My home has a/c, but it was retrofitted to the house. I have a boiler, not forced air, so the duct work was stuffed through closets and is not extremely efficient. On top of that, since it was built in the 1920's, the insulation is not that great. As a result, the a/c struggles on super hot and humid days. I supplement it with a window unit on those days, but the 2 together struggle to keep up with the heat on the second floor. When the temperatures stay in the low 80's and have relatively dry air, no problem. I would imagine that a 5,000 BTU a/c is going to be similarly challenged, especially in less than ideal conditions.

Have I mentioned I think I will avoid most of the nasty hot, humid weather this summer? :how_interesting:

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I can relate, Jkjenn. My house is a solid brick 1935 cape with only 850 sq ft (full basement - not cooled or heated). Same issue with the insulation (layers of drywall over plaster?), but the AC is a split system so that they set up the duct work properly as ceiling vents on first floor and wall vents on 2nd.  I know I need more insulation in the knee walls upstairs. I have 2 air exchangers with 2 filters and it keeps up pretty well.... except for when the coils failed after 2 yr and 3 months. Coils were covered for 5 yrs for warranty. Labor for 2 *sigh*.

At one point when I had only window units, the summer was so bad in DC metro area that I had 2 units in the bedroom. All the animals and I lived in there exclusively. The room temp still hung in the 80s (if I was lucky). The central AC is bigger than needed for the small house (due to poor insulation considerations). It cools pretty well. The shocker was that when I stopped using my window units and the central AC was installed, my electric bill went from $450 to $145 a month!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Although, I know not possible with Wet Bath units, the Cool Cat has a perfect thermostat :) Set the temp and forget it :)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL