Options

Hints for camping with pets

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
It seems that during every extended camping trip, Sunny Day has a few days of diarrhea. I finally found an easy way to help her.

Get a can of pumpkin, yes, one of those you use to make pumpkin pie with. Sunny weighs around 13 lbs and I put one spoonful on her food in the morning and one at night.  Do this for two or three days or until the "waste product" is more solid. Drop back to once a day for a couple of days and then stop. Adjust as needed. If this doesn't help after a couple of days, find a Vet!

And, after I open the can, I put the pumpkin in a Ziplock and store it in the fridge. I will only keep the pumpkin for about a week, even when refrigerated, because I don't want to make her more sick! 
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Thanks for this tip! Shelby doesn't eat well when she is away from home so I bring along a batch of boiled chicken & white rice. I shred the chicken & mix with equal parts rice. Absolutely no seasoning added. This is also good for dodgy pup stomachs.
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Thanks for this tip! Shelby doesn't eat well when she is away from home so I bring along a batch of boiled chicken & white rice. I shred the chicken & mix with equal parts rice. Absolutely no seasoning added. This is also good for dodgy pup stomachs.

This is a good suggestion. Rocky has not eaten well on the road, either. When I brought him home as a puppy, he was afraid of the stainless steel bowls I had for him, so I put a little chicken broth on his food and he quickly got over the fear.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I've heard of the pumpkin, but have used the boiled chicken and rice remedy due to pups not eating on the road (excitement). Also used it for upset tummies, even at home. 2 paws up for these!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Boiled chicken and rice is a great remedy for a nasty stomach. I found the pumpkin is quicker for the other end.

I warned my sister to take a couple of cans of pumpkin for Sunny Day's brother when she goes to Alaska. Spike (Sunny's brother) is the one who made an absolute mess of everything inside my new Silver Shadow teardrop at the first Tearstock, including me. Then Sunny got it, but at least she would ask to go outside before .... anything came out. They were on PeptoBismal fed through a plastic straw, boiled chicken and rice until we got home. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Yikes! Rocky doesn't seem to get sick. I hope that continues.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    What are you all using to keep your dogs local? My wife has been eyeing some little garden fenco g she thought might be nice- or are you steady leashing at all times? We have a shih tzu and a Lhasa apso. If we have to keep them leashed- OK, but we wanted to build a little roaming space. 
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    XPADREX said:
    What are you all using to keep your dogs local? My wife has been eyeing some little garden fenco g she thought might be nice- or are you steady leashing at all times? We have a shih tzu and a Lhasa apso. If we have to keep them leashed- OK, but we wanted to build a little roaming space. 
    Sunny Day, Shih Tzu, stays close to me, or to any of my friends who have a free lap;)  She has a 6' leash attached to her collar that she drags around. That way I'm in compliance with most park rules, and she has some freedom. She rarely makes dog friends, although she loves her brother (my sister's dog). She loves people and food!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    XPADREX said:
    You can buy an exercise pen (ex-pen). Most pet stores and Amazon carry them. You can get different heights and chain theme together.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    In my travels, see a lots of doggy fences for small dogs. Most larger ones are leashed.
    Some campgrounds have looser rules than others (or don't strickly enforce) as long as dogs are well behaved. Made a lot of doggy friends this year. They'd stop by for treats or bring their ball to play.
    In two cases, they were the camp host's dogs :-)