Options

Installing the Battery Cutoff Switch

Got a battery switch, and before I get my new battery (yep did the first one in less than 3 months), I want to install the switch in the battery tongue box.  So my husband was asking me if he should install it on the positive or negative line from the trailer.  I said I thought it should be on the negative line, but when he asked me why, I really couldn't give him a logical answer.  So I have come to the experts.  I have looked in the forum, but I haven't found anything.
T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited May 2016
    Oh boy - Here we go again :-)
    It's one of those topics that doesn't resolve into a firm answer. The general concensus (I think) is on the positive - the cutoff switches are red after all. BUT, there are many that insist it's the negative.
    I personally would do the pos.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Negative side because it is safer. http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1386/shopping-list#latest Read the next yo last entry from this afternoon.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Mine's on the negative.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ok, two ta nothin. Where are all the pos peoples tonight :-)
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Nerdy, do a search for the "other" thread about installing a cut-off switch. Lots of pics there, too. I switched the positive cable +++  :)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,450
    I may get lit up for saying this, but I think this whole argument gets way overplayed. Switching either side will work electrically. There are some safety concerns when it comes to disconnecting batteries, but they distill down to this:

If you are going to muck around with the positive terminal of your battery, make sure the negative terminal is disconnected first.

If you don't do this, and you accidentally "bridge" the positive terminal to some grounded piece of metal on the trailer, you will enjoy an impressive fireworks display, followed by a change of underwear. Damage to equipment and persons may also result.

So, if you are removing a battery, always disconnect the negative first (and reconnect it last). If you are using a cutoff method that requires exposing and accessing the battery directly, then I would switch off the negative post. Any time you are working near exposed battery terminals, you would do well to disconnect the negative cable.

If you are using a sealed switch removed from the battery--and the battery will remain enclosed in its plastic box--there is virtually no possibility of bridging. Put the switch wherever you want and camp on!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    A while back someone mentioned that the factory was sending out a technical note to dealers about how to wire the shutoff switch that is coming with new T@Bs. I think it would be a good idea to make that available to people who retrofit their T@Bs with a battery cutoff switch. Could @Verna or @Michigan_Mike ask if the technical note could be posted here?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    When I disconnect a wire, whatever the reason, I wrap the terminal connector in electrical tape as an extra pre-caution and leave it taped until going back on the terminal. It might be overkill, but no one ever intends to cause a mishap.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Photomom said:
    A while back someone mentioned that the factory was sending out a technical note to dealers about how to wire the shutoff switch that is coming with new T@Bs. I think it would be a good idea to make that available to people who retrofit their T@Bs with a battery cutoff switch. Could @Verna or @Michigan_Mike ask if the technical note could be posted here?
    That technical note was to the dealers about where not to install the switch on the battery box, nothing more. There have been numerous photos of where the switches have been installed and the technical bulletin will not help. By the time everyone has installed their batteries, just about every installation is their own idea about how it should be. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    The argument about which side it should go on is really moot. If you are not accustomed to working with batteries, wiring, or electric, I recommend you go with he negative, because the likelihood of something going wrong is higher for you. If you understand enough about it to argue for the positive, than you are probably fine to wire it to the positive side of the battery.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Verna said:
    Photomom said:
    That technical note was to the dealers about where not to install the switch on the battery box, nothing more. There have been numerous photos of where the switches have been installed and the technical bulletin will not help. By the time everyone has installed their batteries, just about every installation is their own idea about how it should be. 
    Too bad. Would be nice to get some instruction from the people who actually designed the trailer. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I did a lot of reading on the issue before I did my switch. There are legitimate safety reasons for both sides. You are free to disagree, but I strongly recommend people in doubt do a proper internet search and read for yourself, versus taking the opinions of a handful of people on one forum.

• Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    I am on the road, so I had to wait to get to an airport to read all of your comments.  Wow, as PXLated hinted, I opened a can of worms.  Okay, as jkjenn said, I will continue my search and see what I find.  This discussion follows exactly what my husband and I have been going on about with each other, so maybe in the end, like Photomom says, I will call Little Guy (have a few other questions as well).
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)