Options

The Deadly Hinge!

Okay, I tried it and it took over the trailer and I removed both hinges as the experiment failed.  The small hinges are just too powerful and have pressure that far exceeds the holding power of the cabinet door hinges....  It was a sound idea but I wouldn't recommend installing them.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Interesting.  I have had mine on for a while now and have had no problem at all, but you are the second person to post this issue.  I wonder if the different build years have something to do with it.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2016
    Odd factory might have changed something Mike I've had no issues. I'll go check and get back with you. I also had to use longer screw in the upper portion of hinge orginal screw short came right out simple fix.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There are different strengths of the door hinges, the silver hinges.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    I had the same issue on one of my struts.  Thankfully, nothing damaged.  Used a little JB Weld in the screw hole and it has held up well for several months.  A few lessons learned:  These struts do have a great deal of pressure, so they must be positioned on the door in just the right spot so the strut can move freely when opening and closing.  Took me a few dry runs to find that location.  The placement on the door frame is pretty much fixed to one location.  Secondly, it's best to remove the latches.  The struts hold the doors closed without them.  Also, they create extra tension on the door panel when initially pulling the door open.  If I had to do it again, I would try to find struts with less pressure. But it sure is nice to have the doors stay open whilst I rummage around in the cabinet.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2016
     If there is a strut out there with less tension on it I would be interested in seeing it or finding out if anybody else has used it successfully. 

And post up some photos of your doors in the open position as well, maybe that will make some difference?
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
     If there is a strut out there with less tension on it I would be interested in seeing it or finding out if anybody else has used it successfully. 

And post up some photos of your doors in the open position as well, maybe that will make some difference?
    Ask and ye shall receive:

Note: mostly empty cupboards in prep for big trip. :triumph:

Mike, I had the same thing happen with the regards to placement and strength of struts when I put a lid on my M416 trailer. There are formulas you can do to get it right, but I hate math.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    I'm thinking the spring thing may be the less risky way to go.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    I'm thinking the spring thing may be the less risky way to go.

You are probably correct, although, I saw some struts on cabinets at the factory last month, so perhaps those could be ordered through Elsie?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2016
    Look closely at Mike installation might he need to to flip the orentation of the top piece it might be binding. I can tell you it does not take much to be off on this installation for this to happen.

Just an obersevation 
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited May 2016
    Here is how mine are set up:

There may be an exact science, but I just put them where I thought they would work.  Maybe I got lucky.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Cyclonic said:
    There may be an exact science, but I just put them where I thought they would work.  Maybe I got lucky.

Ditto, but our placement is very close.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I'm sticking to the spring supports. If there's a 1% chance I'll get it wrong, then that'll happen! Murphy's Law is alive and well and I think Harvey is friends with Murphy.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    edited May 2016
    Im with Ratkity. I used springs (given to me by my friend, mickeytucs, when we met in coyote howls.) Works great! Of all the mods I have done ($$$$$), this is one of my favorites and cheapest. 

Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Here is what I saw at the factory:

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Where can I purchase these springs?
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ramrod - The things Jenn's pic shows or the "springs" - If the latter, almost any hardware store - search the forum for "springs" and you'll probably find pics, lengths, etc.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    It is also not uncommon for the rivet at the small end of the strut to fail after extended use. Those small rivets are under a pretty heavy load when the doors are closed. On previous RVs I have replaced these rivets with stainless steel ones when they fail.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @cbarnhill looks as though you might need ya a label maker for the spices! I know a dewd of a dewd that can get you one without registering it with OCD_R_US *looks around suspiciously and whispers* don't tell though. ;)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Yes, Ratkity-I am a little OCD. Of course I have a label maker, too.  If you have ever poured protein shake powder over cereal, you'll understand my need.
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    LOL cbarnhill.. ew! Still.. bahahahahaha. That was my laugh for the night. Only because I can see myself doing that half asleep pre-coffee.
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Here is the original mini-workshop instructions for installing the cabinet springs.  I followed these instructions and specifications and have been super happy with the springs in my front cabinet doors (2014 T@B). I got my springs at Home Depot.  I don't know who to give credit to for this amazing mod.  I've had mine installed for almost 3 years.  Whoever came up with this idea, mucho gracias!!!! ( It was originally posted on the T@B Yahoo Forum.)

Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,531
    Anyone with a brand new T@b that came with cabinet struts?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Wanderloo, those are the instructions I followed as well. I've been very happy with the springs! 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    This is how you use the label maker after you put your hinges or springs on:

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Our 2015 Sofitel came with them from the factory. The dealer had removed them for some reason but left them in the cupboard. I reinstalled them using the same holes.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Verna said:

Indeed! A beautiful sight! My home spices have the blue tops (plus labels). Since I rarely cook as much as I used to, I have a date on the label too.
  • Options
    lara9209lara9209 Member Posts: 45
    Okay, I tried it and it took over the trailer and I removed both hinges as the experiment failed.  The small hinges are just too powerful and have pressure that far exceeds the holding power of the cabinet door hinges....  It was a sound idea but I wouldn't recommend installing them.  

I was the other one who posted the issue ... Tried it several different ways always with the same issue
    John & Lisa, 2016 M@x S, Silver/Yellow, Hood Canal, WA, TV = 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Cyclonic said:

Hi Cyclonic, 
    where did you get your struts?
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Never mind... Found them....
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TaBFanTaBFan Member Posts: 41
    Verna said:

Verna, I'm very surprised......they aren't in alphabetical order! =)
    2014 Wrangler Sahara & 99 Jeep 4dr Sport TV. Interests are Photography, fishing & rod building, woodworking, hotrods (73VW rat rod "DasStuka") and Camping.