Options

T@B Task Lists

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
Okay, folks, T@B ownership is getting close! I am a plan ahead leave nothing to chance checklist kind of person, and I also want my DH to be able to deal with the T@B on his own if need be, so I'm developing little checklists for everything to do with the T@B. Once I make sure they are correct I'll print them on 4x6 cards and laminate them. And I'll make checklists for the other tasks like dumping the tanks, doing annual maintenance, etc. eventually.

I have two lists complete and I wonder if someone would look them over and let me know if I've missed anything?

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    With ANY luck at all we'll get to try these two checklists out this weekend!
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited May 2016
    Is it supposed to be an ordered list?

For instance, in the later part of the list tasks for towing should be ordered as such:
    1. Raise stabilizers.
    2. Jack up tongue.
    3. Disengage coupler jaw.
    4. Back TV up so ball is below coupler.
    5. Lower tongue onto ball, continue to raise jack completely up, remove wheel.
    6. Engage coupler jaw, lock it.
    7. Attach safety chains.
    8. Attach emergency breakaway cable.
    9. Plug in 7-pin plug.
    10. Pull and stow chocks/stabilizer pads.
    11. Walk around to check lights.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited May 2016
    @Photomom If you are in the T@b Facebook Group they have a "Ready-Set-Tow" checklist you can download. It was invaluable to me when I got started. 

Also before towing:

- Latch shower door
    - Put pin in fridge door
    - Close windows
    - Close fan
    - Secure television

I also like to pull over after a coupled of blocks and do a walk-around, just to make sure.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yes, it should be in order. I did see the ready set tow list but felt it didn't have as much detail as I wanted. Thanks guys!
  • Options
    I created a free Windows 10 app with that includes the Ready-Set-Tow list plus other guides and information. It is a basic app - I am not a developer but MS has a tool you can use to build basic apps. If you search the Windows 10 store, it's called, "T@b Ready."

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    aforanaforan Member Posts: 1
    Thank you! All very helpful, a soon to be T@Ber. 
  • Options
    @jkjenn,

1. Thanks but I am an Apple person
    2. I was thinking of creating an app for this stuff myself
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    @jkjenn,

Yes, I created mostly for myself but published so others could use it, too. I used it a lot at first and still use it to remind myself of the basics.

• Options
    aforan said:
    Thank you! All very helpful, a soon to be T@Ber. 
    I will make my checklists available here after they've been T@B tested.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    jkjenn said:
    Photomom said:
    @jkjenn,

Yes, I created mostly for myself but published so others could use it, too. I used it a lot at first and still use it to remind myself of the basics.
    It is too easy to forget just one step and that can end up being a very bad thing.  At this point I do it all from muscle memory and still sometimes forget something.  That is why the final walk around to check, ALWAYS do a walk around and check everything a second time.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    "Circle of Safety". -- turn on headlights and flashers, count the number of "things" connected, check all lights (including running lights and truck lights), bend over at both front corners, both sides and back to make sure nothing is forgotten. It's a slow, but methodical walk--interruptions and zombies are not allowed during this task. Thank you Bell System for instilling the Circle of Safety in my brain (even though I have modified it for towing). 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I would add confirm fan cover is closed (an open fan cover led to knob falling off..)  (I visually look at fan from the outside before I start traveling).
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    What Cyclonic lists - You'll never get hooked up with your order Photomom - The levelers have to go up first or you won't be able to raise/lower hitch :-)
    And what Verna says - Final walk around. Can't count the number if times I've gotten interrupted either while getting set up or tearing down.
  • Options
    seajeeperseajeeper Member Posts: 37

As mentioned, it is easy to forget 1 step.... literally

Stow the step (if you use it)

2016 Max S, 2011 Volvo XC60

• Options
    Changing the fridge to either shore or LP is the first thing I do. If it is shore power, I plug and switch the fridge and then deal with temperature (windows, fan, a/c, or Alde), to allow the T@b to reach desired temperature while I set up camp.

• Options
    Oh the step - How many times have I forgotten the step, let me count the times - too many, can't count that high, not enough toes or fingers.
    I do usually catch that within a 100 yards or so though.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Oh the step - How many times have I forgotten the step, let me count the times - too many, can't count that high, not enough toes or fingers.
    I do usually catch that within a 100 yards or so though.
    Or, you think it is pushed in but must be not enough because it slides out. :anguished:

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Changing the fridge to either shore or LP is the first thing I do. If it is shore power, I plug and switch the fridge and then deal with temperature (windows, fan, a/c, or Alde), to allow the T@b to reach desired temperature while I set up camp.

So you either plug in or turn on the propane and start the fridge before doing any leveling or anything else?
  • Options
    Yup, if at all possible. You don't have to be absolutely level to run on LP and you don't have to be level on shore power, unless using the a/c. But even then, it is not like the a/c will leak in the few minutes while you level.

• Options
    I do the roughly the same as Jenn but I level first.
    Level,/unhook, start fridge on propane, deploy solar - Then into the rest.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I actually do my hookup to tow in a slightly different order.

Get up all the outside stuff, (chairs/rugs/awnings, tables/cable, antenna) and load it in my truck.

Disconnect water and sewer/drain bucket. (Stow hoses)
    Lower BAL Leveler (Stow BAL Leveler)
    Raise stabilizers (Stow handle)
    Hitch to tow vehicle (Stow wheel chocks)
    Attach chains
    Attach bungy cord
    Attach 7-pin
    Attach breakaway cable
    Go take shower
    Go inside T@B and get dressed
    Raise screens/shades and lock windows down
    Turn off CoolCat
    Put step and shoe bin inside
    Put drink for the road, phone, and other electronic items in truck
    Toss dirty clothes bag in truck
    Disconnect power (stow power cord)
    put cover on A/C vent
    Check campsite for missed items/trash
    Walk around/check brake/signal lights/lock doors/check all baggage doors/water drain plug/lower XM Antenna/turn off propane tank
    make sure break handle is down.
    Head out of park
    Drop trash bag at dumpster
    Do another walkaround
    Head to next destination/home
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Also for some trips, with a long drive I do the complete breakdown and hitchup except for power, A/C cover and one chair the night before, then sleep hitched up, then I only have a small amount in the morning before pulling out.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    One small detail about "Hook up electric". I've found it helpful to make sure you plug the cord into the camper first (push all the way in, it twists a tiny bit to lock in place and then carefully tighten ring). Watch your knuckles with the ring! Those screw heads like the taste of blood. After plugging in the camper, I go to the electric box, check for critters that don't belong, brush away leaves or spider webs, make sure the breaker is OFF and then plug in the cord + surge protector combo. Then I turn on the box breaker. I check to see the surge protector light is on (and green - just my brand of protector) and then check the light on the power cord next to the camper. 

I know this is a bit more detail than your basic check lists, but it's as important to me as the final safety circle that V and PXL talked about. I usually am leaving an orange chock thrown to the side that I pick up in the final walk through (light and turn signal check). Final test in the safety circle is to make sure the handle to the door is locked and the deadbolt is engaged. I've seen doors fling open on the road by just locking the handle and forgetting the deadbolt.

I've gotten better at walking over the tongue and not falling on my face too! LOL. It's part of the T@B Yoga routine that PXL does periodically. Everyone does some at least once (when dropping the rear stabilizers). hehe. :)

Jenn, an app? So cool! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity, if you plug the cord with the surge suppressor into the electric pedestal before you plug the cord into the T@B, you will be able to check the lights on the surge suppressor and not take a chance on harming the T@B. If the lights show the wiring is good at the pedestal, turn off the breaker, plug your cord into the T@B, gently screw the ring on and then turn the breaker on. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Good point, V. I didn't reveal my OCDness and say that I use a household tester on the 20amp plugs (if available in the box). REM when I said I never encountered a box so close to the ground that the surge protector and plug rested on the ground? Well, I am eating mah words. Got one tonight. All covered from elements just in case - lots of rain here. Never say never!

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ohio has been getting the rain we've been getting, but in greater quantities. Rubber boots are s great thing this time of the year!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Ohio has been getting the rain we've been getting, but in greater quantities. Rubber boots are s great thing this time of the year!

Taking the T@b in to have the bearings packed and for a safety inspection tomorrow and I relocated the T2b to the driveway. The backyard is already getting swampy and we are supposed to get more rain overnight.

• Options
    Verna said:
    I'd recommend a snorkel... and a towel. Remember "Don't Panic and Always Carry a Towel"
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Good point, V. I didn't reveal my OCDness and say that I use a household tester on the 20amp plugs (if available in the box). REM when I said I never encountered a box so close to the ground that the surge protector and plug rested on the ground? Well, I am eating mah words. Got one tonight. All covered from elements just in case - lots of rain here. Never say never!

I use one of the household testers with a 30 Amp adapter and test the 30 Amp plug.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Okay, I've done some reading and understand that the correct procedure is to switch the campground power off, insert the tester, switch it on and check polarity etc., switch it off, plug in the surge suppressor, switch the power on and wait for the green light, then plug the trailer in to the surge suppressor. 

My my question is, when at home I plan to just plug the trailer into an outlet in the garage (we have a whole house surge suppressor) via an outlet adapter - Do I need to run to the basement and throw the breaker for that outlet before plugging the trailer in?