Options

Plastic Trim Cracking

2»

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @Maryperry1
    get a #2 square bit at any hardware store. Be careful not to over tighten screws when installing new parts. That quote was outrageous.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Maryperry1 as an aside, your quote from that dealer should be communicated to Nücamp. I don’t know which email is best as I don’t know if anyone specific at Nücamp is gathering dealer issues, but I’d try info@nucamprv.com. I have sent an email to that address asking for a specific Nücamp contact method for us to relate our dealer experiences as they occur. I didn’t include your experience because they need to hear from each of us as we encounter both great and dreadful examples of customer service per dealer.

aaannnddd-Welcome to the forum!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    @Maryperry1, is it possible the dealer was quoting you a price for installation and parts? The parts are surprisingly expensive, and so is the shipping. If the dealer didn't completely understand you already had the parts, that quote might not be too out of line.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Maryperry1Maryperry1 Member Posts: 4
    Not for parts-we told them that. Originally they told us all the trim had to be replaced and labor only would be $2500. Sounds like they just don’t want to do it. I will definitely let nucamp know as well. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    Well then, yes, I agree that was pretty outrageous quote! It should definitely be something you can handle yourself. Just be careful and don't force anything.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @Maryperry1--Yes!!!--do report that Dealer to Nucamp.  That is straight up price gouging and should not be tolerated!!  With the new way that we have been instructed to get parts & such, Nucamp needs to get feedback good or bad, about their dealers.   I am purchasing a used Tab from a dealer all the way down in Colo Springs! I live in Northglenn, CO--because I didn't like the attitude of that dealer in Longmont on the two occasions I went there just to look at what they had on the lot, and to ask a few questions.   The salesmen couldn't even fake act like they wanted to make a sale, can only imagine what it would be like trying to get service out of them---bleh on Century RV.   Hopefully the dealer I am purchasing from will be better if I need service---time will tell.  I will be back to report how the paperwork signing & walkthrough/trailer rundown goes after this weekend--hopefully it will be a good report!
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Maryperry1 Here’s the email address NüCamp gave us: mskidmore@nucamprv.com to share our dealer experiences with (or, for sticklers-with whom to share our experiences)
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    mergsmergs Member Posts: 17
    We picked up a used 2010 T@b over the weekend and at some point on the drive home 2 cracks developed on the door-side trim. Larger crack is a couple of inches aft of the main seam at the top the other is only a partial crack about an inch forward of the main seam. I was going to try silicone or goop but I may try clear Gorilla tape first.

Has anyone had success with the Gorilla tape? 
  • Options
    I've used regular old duct tape on mine. Matching black the first year, but this year I want for stylish leopard print.  ;-)
    The thing with such tape is it will wrinkle a bit as things expand and contract, so you might want to plan on changing it periodically. While Gorilla tape might stick a little better, it might also be harder to clean off when it's time to replace the bandage
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    No cracks yet. Knocks on forehead.  Will probably use helicopter tape when it eventually does.  Use it on bikes for paint protection and other uses. Sticks great but peels off cleanly. One roll would about cover all the trim.

ISC Racers Tape HT2308 ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape (8 mil Outdoor Grade): 2" x 30 ft, Transparent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O65W9Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kaNjDb66ZQZ34
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    ScottG said:
    I've used regular old duct tape on mine. Matching black the first year, but this year I want for stylish leopard print.  ;-)
    The thing with such tape is it will wrinkle a bit as things expand and contract, so you might want to plan on changing it periodically. While Gorilla tape might stick a little better, it might also be harder to clean off when it's time to replace the bandage
    Good to know. The clear Gorilla tape comes off pretty easily but seems to stick really well too. This is not the black and brown stuff... its much more like the helicopter tape that db_cooper mentions below. Its about $8-9 at Ace.
  • Options
    db_cooper said:
    No cracks yet. Knocks on forehead.  Will probably use helicopter tape when it eventually does.  Use it on bikes for paint protection and other uses. Sticks great but peels off cleanly. One roll would about cover all the trim.

ISC Racers Tape HT2308 ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape (8 mil Outdoor Grade): 2" x 30 ft, Transparent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O65W9Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kaNjDb66ZQZ34
    Hey db_cooper, I'm familiar with helicopter tape as I use it on my carbon fiber bike downtubes, chainstays, etc.. The Gorilla tape seems really similar to the 3M stuff I've used before but its about 1/3 the price. I would probably still use the expensive stuff on my cf mountain bike but you may want to check out this for the T@b trim: https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-ADHGGTCLR-07164000719-Crystal-1-Pack/dp/B00EUGCT22/ref=asc_df_B00EUGCT22/ Hard to beat $6 a roll.
  • Options
    @mergs thanks for the tip, will pick up a roll of the clear GT.  Big fan of GT after it got us home on 2 flat tires on our Subaru.  Big cuts from rocks, spare replaced one, but 2 cans of fix a flat and gorilla tape was needed to patch the other to get out of the woods.

Now, what does it say about us using the expensive stuff on our road bikes and not our T@bs? 🙄. I mean the T@b almost costs as much as our bikes. 😁

• Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    So I thought about this for a bit and figured I might chime in on a possible solution.  I have experienced this first hand unfortunately, on my parents Tab, and I replaced the trim for them.  NuCamp sent a new piece out under warranty and it was easy to replace.  I predrilled all the holes first with a larger drill bit than the screw size for expansion.  However, this had me not liking that fact that this can happen again and most likely after the warranty is up.  I was thinking of designing a small thin cap out of ABS that can go over the crack and be siliconed on.  I can design something up in CAD and then 3D print a prototype and try it.  Best part is you can make 2 and put it on the other side so it matches, it would look like it belonged there.  Also you can get 3D printing ABS in many colors and I probably can find some that would be a pretty close match to the color.  I have blue trim on mine.  What do you all think?
  • Options
    I will certainly try something like @dhauf suggests. Last thing I will do is purchase more of the same.  Do you think it is worthwhile to proactively remove the trim, drill bigger holes and reattach with lower torque on the keder rail, which we don't use for awnings, etc.?

• Options
    db_cooper said:
    I will certainly try something like @dhauf suggests. Last thing I will do is purchase more of the same.  Do you think it is worthwhile to proactively remove the trim, drill bigger holes and reattach with lower torque on the keder rail, which we don't use for awnings, etc.?
    It might be a good idea, as it seemed like the factory holes were just drilled into with the screws themselves and not actually pre-drilled.  They were super tight and that would explain some of the cracking as it seemed to start and then spread from the screw hole.  You can hear the trim crackling usually with thermal expansion, so this really leaves no room for the trim to breath.  It’s not difficult and if you remove the Kedar rail the trim is still held with a few screws under it.  You can drill all the holes on the plastic pieces and then remove the other screws one by one and drill those out and put them back when done so the trim stays attached.
  • Options
    Just pulled the upper trim and drilled out the holes. Curious if anyone has had the lower trim pieces crack?

The Outback has the ABS pieces obscuring the lower trim a bit, so cracks wouldn't be as noticeable.  May not drill those.

Gave the upper  trim a good coating of 303 protectant.  Figure I've done about all I can do.

• Options
    db_cooper said:
    Just pulled the upper trim and drilled out the holes. Curious if anyone has had the lower trim pieces crack?

The Outback has the ABS pieces obscuring the lower trim a bit, so cracks wouldn't be as noticeable.  May not drill those.

Gave the upper  trim a good coating of 303 protectant.  Figure I've done about all I can do.
    Yep thats about all you can do, I haven't seen the lower trim crack yet.  Upper trim seems to be more of an issue due to the longer pieces and the fact that they are very tight along the curve of the teardrop section.
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Mine has (lower trim crack).  One bout in very cold winter conditions.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    dboydboy Member Posts: 2
    Just noticed my 2019 tab 400 trim has cracked. Color is black. One crack on door side above door. Three cracks on the other side, top. Cracks on both sides on the lower trim that are not completely cracked thru yet. Camper stored inside when not in use. Under warranty, will see what happens? Have not reported problem yet.