Options

Replacing Speakers

I'm thinking about replacing the speakers in my T@B. What have others replaced theirs with?

Also, the speaker wire in the unit seems awfully wimpy. Has anyone gone to the trouble of replacing the speaker wire with something more substantial. When it comes to speaker wire, we've always used the really good Monster Wire in our home system. Does it really make that much of a difference?
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
Harvest, AL

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    From what I've read, in blind tests it doesn't.
    In one they even fooled em using coat hangers as wire.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It is worth it for cords you unplug and plug in a lot, but for speaker wire, I would just get one with solid reviews. Crutchfield does some good reviews. You might also check Amazon Basics. I have been  happy with their a/v supplies.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Lamp chord, nickle a foot :-)
  • Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    For replacement speakers I recommend contacting Parts Express.  Very competitive prices and very knowledgeable staff.  To give you a recommendation they'll most likely need some basic info like speaker diameter you're looking for, the volume (cubic inches) of the cabinet in which the speaker is housed, the brand of receiver/amp, power, etc. I wouldn't worry about using the factory speaker wire.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    lara9209lara9209 Member Posts: 45
    I noticed that there are 3 speakers on the Jenson ... but only two in the trailer ... is there wiring to a 3rd speaker that's not installed?
    John & Lisa, 2016 M@x S, Silver/Yellow, Hood Canal, WA, TV = 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    lara9209 said:
    I noticed that there are 3 speakers on the Jenson ... but only two in the trailer ... is there wiring to a 3rd speaker that's not installed?
    Don't tell my husband, he'll want to add a subwoofer. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    lara9209 said:
    I figured it was for the CS (Clamshell) for the galley speakers. Sure the third speakers aren't used in the other models, but from a business sense it would make sense for Pleasant Valley to only order one Jenson model. It would also make sure with one model, that the correct model is always installed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    I'm a fan of Alpine & JBL. I have both in my car & am very happy with them. As for speaker wire, you don't need the most expensive kind. It all does the same thing but personally, I'd stay away from the very cheapest. 

Talk with a local car audio shop. They will have more specific information on your options & installation costs. Think of it this way, Best Buy may be convenient but 50 feet away, they are also selling washer/dryers. I'm a fan of giving local businesses my $$. 

I wish there were more options available in t@gs aside from Jensen. Even Sony would be somewhat better. Maybe in the future, it could be an option.

Personally, I like good sound, I work in the business, sort of.  B)

Hope you find what you're looking for.  :)

Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    Photomom - Gotta have a subwoofer or it's nothin but a tinny rendition. Gotta have the Boooom Da Boooom Da Boooom.
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    "It's all about that bass"
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    Yep - Of course I'm biased. Was a muscian (bass player) in a former life.
    But, the science shows that those big, deep bass waveforms carry all the others on top of them.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Yep - Of course I'm biased. Was a muscian (bass player) in a former life.
    But, the science shows that those big, deep bass waveforms carry all the others on top of them.
    Yes... and carries all through the campground.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    It's only good if you can feel it in your bones :-)
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I added a couple of old Minimus 7 speakers in the countertop corners to improve the sound in the T@B.  Also replaced the original radio (I have a DM) with a pioneer unit for better sound. Don't use often, but like the better sound when I do use them. 
  • Options
    I didn't get mine with the media package. Figured builtin stuff would be out of date before it even shipped - Kind of like car nav systems. Have all my music on the iPad and stream it to bluetooth speakers.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Maybe some more insight. I have a Dutchmen T@B that had a TV/DVD combo unit originally and the speakers were wired to the original TV. I have since replaced that TV with a digital model and did not wire that TV to the speakers. Instead, I installed a Pioneer CD/FM/AM unit and added a XM transmitter. I wired that unit to the existing speakers. I have two speakers under the back cabinets inside and two speakers in the galley. I have noticed some distortion lately.

It sounds like just replacing the speakers with a higher end speaker of the same size will help? Going to the trouble of rewiring the existing speaker wire makes little/no difference?
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    KiddydocKiddydoc Member Posts: 15
    From my April 2015 post under "T@B speakers"   Just finished replacing the stock speakers with Kicker DSC5's.  They were under $50 a pair on Amazon.  They fit perfectly in the existing holes.  Simple matter of splicing the new connecting wires with terminal to the old wires.  I had to redrill holes for the mounting screws so that the Kicker emblem was oriented correctly (optional).  The sound improvement is well worth the investment, they even pump out a little bass.  The sound is cleaner and much fuller.  Still happy with them a year later!

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Were they the 5.25 inch kiddydoc?
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    Replaced my speakers with a soundbar. PXlated is correct, cheap wire does just fine. Find what sounds good to you and you will be happy.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    KiddydocKiddydoc Member Posts: 15
    The Kicker DSC5's are 5.25 inches and fit perfectly in the existing holes. 
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    +1 for Parts Express.  For more upscale you can try Madison.com.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    edited May 2016
    Darn spell checker.  Madisound

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Even the clamshells have just 2 sets of speakers--inside and outside.  The 3rd set are for larger RVs which these stereos are also sold with.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    I am usually pretty picky about sound quality and I like the speakers my 2016 T@B...
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    +2 for the Kicker speaker upgrade.  Breaking them in right now.  They will get pretty loud, and have decent bass.  Much cleaner sound so I expect watching movies to be a nicer experience.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited January 2019

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max