Options

Campground Power and Surge Protectors

CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
This discussion was created from comments split from: T@B Task Lists.

And, oh yes, this thing took another left turn about ten posts in, it is getting split again :lol:

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
Sterling, VA

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Are campground power outlets really as bad as they sound? Low voltage, surges, wired wrong, just plain not working - sheesh. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Photomom said:
    Are campground power outlets really as bad as they sound? Low voltage, surges, wired wrong, just plain not working - sheesh. 
    Yes

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Added a polarity/voltage tester to the Amazon wish list and another step to the checklist...
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited May 2016
    Short Answer: After all these years of tiny campering.... all I can say is, "well, I dunno. I never paid attention"

Long Answer (tl;dr version):
    For the 13 yrs I had the popup, I'd run off of battery and no more than a week at a time. The systems inside were propane and the on-demand water pump (no switch), was about all that it ran with a few dim 12V lights. I usually carried better portable battery-operated lamps that hung inside. I had more instances of uninvited critters in electrical boxes during that time and only ran 20 A service with a heavy gauge 20A cord. If the power didn't work, I'd ask to move campsites and didn't worry as to why. I never blew a fuse inside and I'm pretty sure it had a converter to charge the battery when connected. I normally just kept the battery maintained and disconnected from the camper when not in use (had a coveted garage at the time).

With the Reverse TD, that camper also had minimal power needs. It an 85 ah battery and an 85W large solar panel on the sloped front side of the TD. With the camper's light weight (900), no water and no phantom power needs, I ran off battery more often than not unless I was in a known camping area with lots of shade (rem, I'm a "weekender" - long weekends R US). The biggest power draw was the Fantastic Fan and the solar kept up with it fabulously even if run all day and night for those 5-7 day periods. The campgrounds I frequented (still do) with the camping group had new electric setups and no issues that anyone reported or I'd be in a park with no hookups at all (cheap sites R US2). The Reverse TD did have a 30A cord, but was sorta overkill although nice to have to run a tiny ceramic heater in the cold weather (for me! Not for some other folks who thrive in frigid weather lol). The camper was made and wired so one could put an RV Dometic-Type AC over the fan vent. Sturdy little camper! The tongue got a wee heavier when I added the diamond plate truck box in front and found all the stuff I could put in it, but still traveled and tracked well with the Rav4.

Now... I've entered T@B territory. I've learned more about phantom draws, delicate electronics, reverse polarity at campground boxes (knew about it in houses) and surge protectors. I'm still a weekender, but am using the 30A at group gatherings and taking advantage of all systems. While a few others in my camping group with Casitas, Bambi's and restored Scottys and Scamps edumacated me more about some of the diverse campgrounds they visited, I've noticed more power box issues. Since being converted to a T@BBer from a Zombie, I've been ever-vigilant and had several boxes campgrounds pointed out to me by others to show me that problems do exist (have tester, will travel). For some strange reason, the combo boxes with the dual 20A plug and 30A setups seem to have the most trouble with 20A outlets. I'm sure I'll run into a 30A issue eventually. FTers and people who travel weeks at a time to small campgrounds probably have a lot of experience and many stories to tell. Meanwhile, this is the most I've ever paid for a camper, I want to protect my babeh, er, investment and am open to all tidbits of advice (I may be a little (too) attached to the cute little mudmonster).

YMMV! 

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Photomom said:
    In two years of using my surge suppressor, I have not found a defective one. But, it only takes one.....

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Photomom - I really don't see that many surge protectors in the campgrounds I've been in that have hookups. So I'm guessing not but all it takes is one. As you know, I rarely do a hookup so I didn't invest in one but do have a small Camco plugin tester. Hasn't been used since last June so I'm obviously not the authority.
  • Options
    PXL, many larger campers have surge protectors built in (I was told this.. anecdotal info only). One person in our camping group who has a 16' Airstream Bambi and has a permanent Progressive Industries one in his (can't remember if he said it was standard or requested). Another of our campers said both water filter and surge protector were standard and built into his little camper, but I can't rem the camper brand (not Casita or Airstream though).

I know you can hear the permanently installed one give an audible click when the incoming power is deemed appropriate (it also has an LED display that gives you errors codes). If you listen carefully, you can hear the portable one give a soft click when it turns on although the light is a better indicator. I really like the PI ones.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have the Progressive permanently installed inside. It has a little display for error codes.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ratkitty - Ya, I was just observing small campers - I rarely camp with the bigger guys/gals.
    And of course there are people like Jenn with builtins in the small guys so could be totally wrong :-)
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I looked up Progressive Industries power management and saw all kinds of prices and more info than I'm knowledgeable about.  I've been asked the same kind of question about computers etc, and it can always depend on what your needs are and how much you want to spend...  But... Here I go myself, Is there a surge protector type that would be acceptable to start with? Just a point in the right direction...  I will keep searching however... 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    I bought a Progressive SSP-30X. It is the kind you plug in each time. The downside is apparently they are sometimes stolen, so eventually the permanent kind would be a good upgrade. 
  • Options
    I put this one on my  Amazon wish list for next time I order. 
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Think I'll get the SSP-30x.  I saw it for $78.   I think we are "hitting the wall" on our beginning purchases... Gotta save some money for hot dogs....
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    I am not skimping on certain things. Voltage and surge suppression, along with other protective things like water filtration and pressure regulation, seem to be good insurance. Luckily we have "camping" gear so we only need to buy RV-specific stuff. 
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    TerryV6 said:
    Actually... Maybe not hot dogs... Doctor says no.... Can you cook kale and quinoa over a campfire?
    I have the camco $75 one and use it every time I hook up. It hasn't wandered off yet in 2 plus years of teardropping.  And yes, you can do kale and quinoa on a campfire (soak the quinoa in water for a while first) in a tall foil pouch!! 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Just FYI, check permanently-installed PI box for connection tightness. Light trailer and bouncing can loosen connections. I have a permanent one I temporarily took out because it was right before another trip and discovered loosened connections, but no mishap. Just odd outlet issue. I will use a dab of non-permanent locktite on the screw down threads when I re-install. Keep in mind if you use a permanently installed one, you will need a "ground-loop plug" in one of the generator outlets if you ever use a generator and want power to the camper (or just turn the surge off - permanently installed PI has an "off" switch).