Options

Factory comment about the new bed slats

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
edited May 2016 in Factory Comments
I sent a question to the Pleasant Valley factory about the new bed slats in the newer T@Bs:

"I'm finding a common comment with the new bed slats in the T@Bs. Threepeople have now said the slats are rough and not the same quality as therest of the T@B. I can tell they are white pine, not birch.  Is there any way to sand them a bit more, maybe one coat of lacquer to makethem feel better to the touch?"

Pleasant Valley's response:

Yes, you are correct.  It was something that we had discussed as a team.
Between the new table and the fact that the table would no longer be used as
bed support, we were taking a huge hit financially being that we didn't
raise the price.  That, coupled with the fact it is a fairly low interactive
piece, led us to that decision.  Obviously, people could opt to 'touch them
up' on their own via sanding/paint/etc...  We aren't perfect but we want to
build something excellent and practical.  Many times, cost throws a wrench
in the middle of the classic struggle between function and aesthetics."

My anology:
So, what this means is that since the bed slats aren't "seen" they will be like the rear of the chest of drawers we have in our bedrooms at home. They've never had finish sanding nor a lacquer/varnish/poly finish on them and never will. 

So, from the little ole woodworker me, get a piece of 120 grit sandpaper, sand the edges a bit, and if you choose, put some polyurathane or shellac (less odors from shellac) on the boards. 

Verna
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    I guess I disagree that the slats are seen as little as the back of a chest.  While camping, I take up the slats every morning to put up a table, and put them back every evening.  I almost never see the back of a chest of drawers.  Not the same to me. 

I really appreciate all that you do for the forum Verna, but on this one I disagree.

~ Joe
    2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Very dissapointing rationale for not sanding and finishing the slats. I guess the factory doesn't realize that they would be handled twice a day. Once at night and then again in the morning. To leave them unfinished is laughable.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I have to agree with the others - It isn't like they have to necessarily hand sand, just get a better starting stock.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Glad they did not raise the price!  There are other inexpensive options for bed slats in previous threads- the new pine ones are a start.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Wonder if LG ever thought of using the table as part of a slat system? We use ours that way  and just fill in with 2 slats.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    24 hours into my first trip and I have 10 things on my to do list. Sanding the slats is literally the last thing on the list. It is not that big a deal. If this to the trade off for the new table, the tank monitor, the digital Alde control, and the additional outlets in back, I have no problem with that!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    x2 @Photomom!! I really do like the digital Alde control upgrade and am planning additional outlets in the back.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    We bought 1x6 boards, cut them to our needed length (4 boards were enough) and wrapped them nicely in Contact Paper.  They look and feel great. Contact paper seals them up on all the edges, top and bottom and they have lots of colors and patterns to choose from. Change colors at any time. Easy.
  • Options
    Jellybones11Jellybones11 Member Posts: 27
    Why did hey change the table configuration on the 2017 Outback?  I find taking the table down and getting it back together a bit tedious. The other pop up and down seemed so much easier.