Options

Alde--Should we risk it?

The Alde system on our 2016 Max-S is defective.
The expansion reservoir, fittings and pump need to be replaced, the system needs to be flushed, and the trailer needs to be inspected for any concealed damage caused by a big glycol leak. Little Guy is sending us parts and will reimburse us for the labor.
Here's the dilemma: There is no Authorized Alde Service Center in our state. I found two AASC's on the Alde USA website in nearby states, about 4-5 hour drives. Not fun but do-able. Both were RV dealers/service centers but no one I spoke with in the service departments had even heard of the Alde brand. 
So do we hunt down a reputable but far-flung service center and spend precious vacation time to drive hundreds of miles for "certified" repair. Or do we find a local shop who is willing to give it a shot?
Thanks for any insight!
Doug
Des Moines Iowa
2016 S Max Sofitel

Comments

• Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    Ug, what a horrible thing.

I vote for a local shop.  You may have to interview a few local shops if you do not get a sense of comfort.  Usually someone that is mechanically inclined will stare at a project for a few minutes then be able to suggest a solution. 

It may sound funny and off topic but the gearheads over at IH8MUD usually can recommend someone.  Perhaps posting up at http://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/ia-tall-corn-cruisers.106/ .  I have been a member of IH8MUD since 2009 so if you post up mention that source3 sent you on over.  The members are very nice and want to help out but screen/monitor random posts of new members.

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Well, if the Alde unit itself is ok, I would think someone in the heating/AC business that has worked on home boilers would be a source. As far as inspecting the T@B itself, I would think you'd be able to tell where the glycol has gone or what it's gotten into. I'd probably get one of my buddies in the construction trades to help me. I'd take pics and send them to the factory and see what they say - they're pretty straight shooters and would probably be honest about it.
    Another option (since you are in Iowa and "relatively" close) would be taking a little vacation to the factory in Ohio and letting them have at it. 
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    "Another option (since you are in Iowa and "relatively" close) would be taking a little vacation to the factory in Ohio and letting them have at it. "     I agree with PX, the factory would be my option and it's 750 miles from me.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I went to get a warranty item fixed at the PV factory in Sugarcreek, OH recently and drove over from eastern MD (make an appointment!). Despite my adventure after the heavy rain in Atwood SP campsite involving a swamp, 2 mudmonsters, and having to have my 4x4 GMC + T@B tugged out of the muck by a Ford 4x4 at 6:30am ... it was worth it to get the warranty stuff done right! :) 

"There I wuz........ in Atwood campsite number 261 - B loop........when this torrential rain started as soon as I backed in and the rain nevah ended... must've been at least 14-20" of rain coming down the entire night - maybe MORE!! Snug and warm in mah T@B, I though 'no worries, I haz a 4x4' and Harvey and I went peacefully to sleep..... "

The rest of the story and pictures are hidden in some obscure thread. LOL. 

Best part, the issue was fixed and there's an amazingly great homecooked food restaurant up the road from Sugarcreek - they have pies - lots of pies! And homemade strawberry jam. Jus' sayin'.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Ratkity said:
    Best part, the issue was fixed and there's an amazingly great homecooked food restaurant up the road from Sugarcreek - they have pies - lots of pies! And homemade strawberry jam. Jus' sayin'.
    Must be the Amish place.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Ratkity said:
    Must be the Amish place.
    Yup! Sweet waitress too. You'd think toast was just toast, but nope. Everything tasted awesome there! There was a breakfast buffet for the hearty appetites too. Looked well stocked and yummy.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    Sugarcreek and that part of Ohio is a nice tourist destination. You could have repairs made at the factory and have a nice little vacation at the same time.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    Must be Dutch Valley Restaurant. Pigged out on that buffet quite a few times.
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    That's the name of it, mona! I'd ride back through the rain, hail and fog again to go there (and visit with jkjenn too!). 

@Hans111 what have you decided to do?
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I agree with what others have said, you are pretty much at the point where it might be good to just take it to the factory and make a trip of it.  It is a nice area to visit.

That being said, I'll be at Adventureland for a few days next month, great little park Des Moines has.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Hans111Hans111 Member Posts: 47
    Cyclonic said:

That being said, I'll be at Adventureland for a few days next month, great little park Des Moines has.
    So are you a roller coaster fan looking to experience Adventureland's new Monster?
    Doug
    Des Moines Iowa
    2016 S Max Sofitel
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Not sure fan is the right word :-)
    Hint is in the handle - Cyclon(e) - Isn't that a coaster?
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited May 2016
    Hans111 said:
    Cyclonic said:

So are you a roller coaster fan looking to experience Adventureland's new Monster?
    That is the hope.  I have ridden similar in PA and in Utah (the one there is launched), but in general I like the park, very nice mid-sized park, and I won a free ticket on their Facebook page in a photo contest they were having.

I visited two years ago, camped there in the T@Bpole.  Their campground is interesting, they have a great work camper program, so there are a lot of very nice retirees camped there, and I also got to watch the circus performers rehearse.

PXLated said:
    Not sure fan is the right word :-)
    Hint is in the handle - Cyclon(e) - Isn't that a coaster?

I know not what you speak of. :wink:

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA