Options

Spare tire cover?

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
To those who have moved your spare tire to the tongue, do you use a tire cover? If so, any recommendations? Since the tire is mounted backwards and is pretty exposed, it seems keeping it on, keeping it intact, and keeping it drained may all make a cover more trouble than it's worth!
2015 T@B S

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Mine's mounted on the side and I don't have a cover - More out of lazyness than anything else.
  • Options
    keithpkeithp Member Posts: 31
    I figure that it lives most of the time at home under the cover. Being exposed a few weeks per year don't seem likely to harm it that much.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Don't they make zipper covers that would take care of a side-mounted tire? It was a long time ago when I saw that and can't swear it wasn't homemade.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    My spare tire is mounted so that it sits on the frame for support. I put the tire cover on the tire first (making sure the seam for the cover is positioned at the bottom). Then I peel back the top about half way so I can mount it on the studs. Once it's bolted on, you can pull the cover back up over the tire. With the seam at the bottom you can pull away the elastic at that point and drain it if any water should get in there. I came here to Oregon from Michigan and never had any problems with water collecting there. My wife was afraid that it would blow off, but with the cover sitting right on the trailer frame, I don't see where that is possible. It's still there after 2400 miles.

2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    RedufresneRedufresne Member Posts: 100

B@t T@b has a bat tire cover.
    B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    BrinnyBrinny Member Posts: 5
    Who mounted the tire for you? I notice you both have 2016 Max S models. I requested that my tire be mounted like yours and was told by my dealer that the factory wouldn't mount it that way for me. Something about the weight and balance on the tongue? Would love to get mine mounted like yours (also have a 2016 Max S). Had the dealer mount mine underneath but when I brought "Lemon Drop" home on April 13th, I couldn't clear the small drainage angle at the end of my driveway
  • Options
    RedufresneRedufresne Member Posts: 100
    Ours is an Outback and I think that made a dfference.  Our dealer (Beckleys) fabricated something so the tire could be up front on the tongue.  I was not in the least worried about tongue weight.
    B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    Brinny - The factory doesn't mount the tire, it ships inside so the dealer could take it out and mount it on the existing mount underneith or get the hardware and do it the way you want. Sounds more like the dealer just didn't want to go out of their way.
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses. Any suggestions on who could mount it for me? Would a retailer that sells flat trailers ( the kind I see landscapers use)  or maybe even a tire retailer have the mounting hardware? I really appreciate all the great information and advice this forum provides to newbies like me :)
  • Options
    I have mine mounted sideways along the frame - I bought the mount from a local marine supply dealer in MN - most of the boat trailers there have them mounted like mine. If you wanted it across the frame, I'd think if you showed some pics to almost any utility trailer outfit, they'd be able to do it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Love the Bat Cover for the tire!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Brinny said:
    Thanks for your responses. Any suggestions on who could mount it for me? Would a retailer that sells flat trailers ( the kind I see landscapers use)  or maybe even a tire retailer have the mounting hardware? I really appreciate all the great information and advice this forum provides to newbies like me :)
    If you can use a wrench and follow basic instructions, there's a multitude of bolt-on spare tire carriers out there. They are intended to attach to the side of the trailer frame (as PXL describes) but many have adapted these brackets to attach to the jack tube using standard U-bolts or muffler clamps. How difficult this modification is depends on the specific carrier you are using, and how fussy you want to be about appearance, scratches, etc.

B@t T@b's carrier looks a little different--it's presumably attached to the frame in front of the tub, and places the tire facing forward. Very elegant! Do I recall some photos of the mount in an earlier thread?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Lil_Lucy said:

I came here to Oregon from Michigan and never had any problems with water collecting there. My wife was afraid that it would blow off, but with the cover sitting right on the trailer frame, I don't see where that is possible. It's still there after 2400 miles.
    That sounds like a pretty thorough field test to me. Even with a relatively small lip holding the cover in place, it appears blowing off is not a major concern. Thanks! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    LorieTLorieT Member Posts: 24

B@t T@b has a bat tire cover.
    Where did you order your side boxes? 
    Lorie Tuma, Mt. Pleasant, MI
    2015 Tab S
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I have my tire mounted on the side of the tongue.  I lost my cover to the winds of Kansas a couple of years ago.  When I replaced the cover, I placed two tent grommets on opposite sides of the cover then ran large zip ties through the grommets.  So far, so good.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @ScottG, I'm now pondering this same issue, as well as the purpose of tire covers in general.  I've noticed many campground hosts keep their RV tires covered, and I'm guessing that maybe UV exposure from the sun may degrade the rubber over time.  I don't recall ever seeing cars with covered tires, but then cars are probably moved & exercised much more frequently.  I'm thinking it may not be necessary for traveling, unless you're a full-timer, but easier to just leave one on if it's secure enough.  To that end, and for a jack post mounted spare that faces backwards, maybe just covering the rubber & not the rim would be good enough.  I'm thinking that a tire "tote" which is open in the center on both sides may be a good choice for covering a tongue jack mounted spare.  I've seen some that appear to have an opening which might be positioned at the bottom for drainage.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    FWIW, since originally posting this I still haven't bothered with getting a cover. I keep getting distracted by other more interesting improvements!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I've heard two opinions about the tire covers. Some folks think uv damage is a problem (dry rot) and others think the covers hold in moisture and that causes some sorta of damage. Some think they are just houses for spiders, bugs and *gasp* rodents.

I think dry rot is caused by not using the tires, but flat spots are more problematic. Flat spots are caused by letting a camper sit (e.g. usually parking it long term for the summer).
  • Options
    Good point about the cover being one more place to capture and house "unsavory" material and occupants.

Even an unused tire sitting on a shelf will eventually deteriorate. (I always check the manufacture date before installing a new motorcycle tire to make sure it is "fresh.") I suspect by the time a tire truly rots from the elements it will be time to replace it or the vehicle, so I think I will DWHAHB and camp on!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    In early 1992, I bought a "barely used" 1990 Coleman Williamsburg popup. It had it's little issues, but it was a workhorse. I drove it locally to do some camping to check out how to do stuff. Took first long trip with a friend. Some nice person was pointing to me on the road and pointing back at the trailer. Two single women, we pulled off at the 2nd next exit (just in case the nice person was a serial killer), and looked at the tires. Tread was peeling off. Dry rot. Even the spare!! We limped home with the iffy spare. New tires all around as soon as I could. 

The camper apparently was NEVER used. Bought and garaged. Just sat for 2 years. That's what happened to the tires. Probably cheap ones to begin with, but geesh! Now it's just another campfire story! :)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Well, I decided to give one of these covers a try..

At least now I'll have a cover with a handle to carry a dirty flat tire & put it into the van to get it repaired.  In the mean time, it will minimize the UV exposure.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited August 2018
    @BrianZ
    Check out 2 1/4” muffler clamps. I think you will like the look. Nice clean fit. I still have to paint mine. Love the tire cove. Where did you find it?

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for the reminder, @Dalehelman - I had intended to do that a long time ago, but other mods inevitably got in the way.  Functionally, it's been working just fine, but I do like the look of those muffler bolts.  One of these days I'll get one of those roundtoits.

Here's the tire cover source..
    Kurgo Tire Cover & Seasonal Tire Tote (TM) - Pack of 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QRVJ7XM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4iezBb7659374

Didn't need 4, but we also have a utility trailer with mounted spare, plus cousins with an exact copy of our T@B (was a package deal), then I'll still have a spare for our spare.  I'm thinking about going over that bold lettering with a black marker.  I would have put it at the bottom, but wanted to keep the opening where the two ends overlap at the bottom for drainage.

BTW, that little black box sitting on the tongue is an OBDII gadget I will plug into the Sienna for monitoring transmission fluid temps & maybe find an optimal driving speed.

P.S.:
    Found one that's already painted black..
    Black Painted Heavy Duty Saddle Style U-Bolt Muffler Clamps with Multiple Uses (2 1/4") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFMGZLK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wjfzBb8B42E94

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Thanks again, @Dalehelman, for mentioning the muffler bolts.  I had to return those black painted ones I found, because they were only 1/4".  Then I found these..
    Chrome Heavy Duty Double Edge Open Saddle Muffler Clamp (2 1/4") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075JL12N4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_7F2BBb982VFR1

My wife thought I had bought a pair of handcuffs.  ;)  I like how the rounded part is flattened like a strap & has a crosshatched rough surface for extra strong grip.  It's also chrome plated for rust-resistance.  These are thicker, maybe 5/16".  Was hoping for 3/8", but I think they will work.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Here is what my U-bolts (or muffler clamps) look like installed.  Much neater looking than what I had before with pieces of metal sticking out all over, and the straps & bracket distribute the compression forces on the jack tube so it's not just on two points on opposite sides.

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @BrianZ, Just an FYI, the extra holes on the mount work good for keeping the chains out of the way as well... ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Hey, good tip - thanks, @ericnliz!  I will try that.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @BrianZ, I've found it keeps everything un-tangled, and a lot easier to manage when hooking, and un-hooking. I even put the brake cable up there as well. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf