Options

Jockey wheel

Took our TaB to Cape Cod recently to a very nice campground. However, the woods road were dirt and twisting with ups and downs. We had removed the hitch wheel and cranked the arm all the way up. I am pretty sure we would not have had enough clearance had we left the wheel on even cranked up all the way. We were thinking of adding a bolted on fold up jockey wheel to provide more clearance and not using the standard wheel. Have other users had similar issues. Do the fold up wheels work O K and what are your suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    There are many places where it's not legal to tow with the wheel on the jack. I personally don't like it and replaced it with a flat foot that I leave on. I had a fold up jack on my popup that mounted to the side (welded) on the tongue. The only caveat about those side mounted jacks is that if you jackknife the trailer on that side, you might get a jack-sized dent in your bumper. Also, the good flip-up jacks have a place to store the jack handle so it doesn't hang down (most people come up with bungie solutions). eTrailer.com has a lot of options. Make sure the stability, the weight rating (especially if you moved your spare up to the tongue), the position and the mechanics meet all your needs for whatever you decide to do or get.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I remove my jack and use the Jack-E-Up. If you search "Jack-E-Up, you will find a number of threads on it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    One of the first things I did was change to the Jack-E-Up. But look at Pop-T@B threads, he designed a version specifically for the T@B and I think you can order one direct - he custom makes them.
  • Options
    MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
    I also got a Jack-E-Up... Super easy install & makes removing the whole jack quick.
    2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.
  • Options
    kidwarekidware Member Posts: 13
    Be aware the Jack-E-Up will not work with LG T@Bs with surge brakes - not enough room.
    Lou in Seattle
    2012 LG T@B towed with 2004 Suburban
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Ratkity said:
    There are many places where it's not legal to tow with the wheel on the jack. 
    Hmmm, very interesting. Those of us with Dutchmen T@Bs have a very integrated jockey wheel system that is not easily removable. This is the first I've heard that it could be illegal.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ratkity said:
    There are many places where it's not legal to tow with the wheel on the jack. 
    Hmmm, very interesting. Those of us with Dutchmen T@Bs have a very integrated jockey wheel system that is not easily removable. This is the first I've heard that it could be illegal.
    My popup had a swivel jack that moved the integrated wheel up out of the way and locked the handle from hanging down. I was surprised when I was told that traveling with the wheel on/down was illegal too with the fixed jack on my first little TD. This was from a dealer mechanic and I didn't verify the info. The wheel did hang down on my first TD fairly close to the ground though (with the jack all the way cranked up). 

I just now looked and looked and couldn't find any specific regulation in any state about traveling with the wheel on, other than the jack needed to be up high enough and in a "locked" position so that the safety chains and any break away cable (for electric brake systems only) weren't hindered. So what I said was misinformation - many apologies! 

I'm just guessing, but if your jack wheel hangs down with 3-4 inches between it and the ground, it can do a hard bounce with enough force that a slightly loose coupler ball could pop off (or the wheel itself can be damaged).  Maybe the mechanic that warned me not to travel with it on was more concerned about safety. I didn't find anything for camper jacks except for 5th wheels and big rigs, and they were mostly about weight ratings. 

Sorry again for the wrong info! I guess safety is what is most important thing. Because of the varied types of jacks, camper tongue/couplers, TVs and driving habits, it all comes down to what works best for your setup.

Everyone have a safe weekend if you have plans to be out! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)