Options

T@b Outback - several questions regarding offroad

TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
Greetings - we are proud new owners of an Outback. We are desert rats - rock hounds and (mild) off road enthusiasts and we bought this model specifically for the off road capability. We took it out on her maiden voyage over Memorial Day weekend and the trailer did great - we pulled it into an area where the roads were somewhat rocky and rutted with no problems with the trailer but the stock ball coupling left a lot to be desired.

Has anyone converted their Outback to an off road coupling? If so what one would you recommend and what did it take to convert the trailer?

The trailer surprisingly came with 14" wheels - we are interested in as much ground clearance as possible so does anyone know what he largest tires are that can be put on these? What about a conversion to 15"

Thanks in advance. I've been lurking around here and learning a lot but this is my first post.
Tommy

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Explain please what an off road coupling is.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Pictures would be great of the couplers. If you find larger tires/hubs for the axel, would you have to put an additional leaf spring or air shocks in for fender clearance? Sorry, I don't know much about the Outback axel.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2016
    @Tommy  What do you consider "mild" offroad?  Forest service roads (maintained), unmaintained forest service roads (which can get very rutted), or Ohir Pass (Colorado)?  Or the easy rated trails in Moab?

Are you thinking about putting on a Max Coupler?  There is not much room for larger 15" tires.  Not sure but with a larger tire you may need to put a spacer to offset the tire is you go wider.  Then you may need to trim the fender flare, etc.

The Dexter axle does offer an axle with a greater degree of drop, which could give you another 1.5" or so of lift.

If I wanted to take a trailer truly "offroad" I would have opted for a Moby1, SoCal, or Rough Rider (made by Little Guy).  While the T@B has an aluminum upper frame I am not sure if it could handle the repeated stresses off camber situations.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I agree with @source3. I am also not sure how well the T@b would stay together with true off road travel. I have the Outback axle and tires and it is good enough to get me into some rocky boondocking sites, but I would be concerned about the tanks and tank gates.

I am not sure you would gain a ton from adding the Max Coupler (or pintle couopler) and due to the T@b height, it might make tipping it easier.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the responses - all good input for me to think about. @source3 we looked at those other trailers and decided on the Tab because we were looking for more of a compromise between a full sized (small) travel trailer and tent camping or sleeping in my wife's 4-runner that we've done for so long. Our Tab fits that role perfectly and we are beyond thrilled with the decision. As I said we are rock hounds - we don't go off road just to go off road - we generally have a gem hunting location and want to set up camp as close to it as we can get with the trailer then drive into the sketchy spots. Our adventures take us mostly on dirt and rocky roads - occasional creek crossings but nothing severe or off camber that would risk tipping it (thanks @jkjenn). I think we have a good sense of what the trailer can and cant do and aren't looking to push it too far or beat it. I'm mainly concerned about breaking the stock hitch out in the middle of nowhere - or banging into a hidden rock when both tires are down in ruts. Thus upgraded hitch/coupling and as much ground clearance as I can get.
  • Options
    I don't have the outback and still get where I want to go - May take some bobbin and weavin around rock or ruts but I get there - The hitch is the last thing I've actually worried about I guess... Here out on a rock ledge in Canyonlands...

• Options
    EdwinaEdwina Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2016
    I actually prefer the standard 2" ball and receiver when I off-road.  I don't pull my T@B, but I do have a gear trailer I pull everywhere, and it has not had any problem.  Granted, it has 33" tires, but the standard hitch is much quieter than the Pintel.  I have never had the Standard ball bind or release.  I do love the idea of off- roading the T@B though.....
    Rocky Mountain Chieftain, Kennedy Society of North America
    2008 T@B Q, 2000 Nissian Xterra
  • Options
    EdwinaEdwina Member Posts: 10
    Sorry, Image was to big.  Here she is.  Now if I could only get my T@B to fit on this frame.... ;)
    Rocky Mountain Chieftain, Kennedy Society of North America
    2008 T@B Q, 2000 Nissian Xterra
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Tommy - be careful about trees and bushes scrapping the roof and sides when in the wild.  I always carry large and small pruning shears to clear the path before going in.  You also may want to buy one of those removable jacks - the factory stand has a tendency to dig into the dirt when coming out of a rut. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Or get a Jack-E-Up so nothing's hanging down at all.