Options

Good overnight near I - 81 in VA?

Jo_chrisJo_chris Member Posts: 21
Hi my husband Chris and I will be traveling from CT to Ashville NC and are looking for a good over night spot for the ride down. Planning to stay at Big Meadows Shenandoah for 2 nights on our return trip (so excited for that)! Thanks, Jo

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    With 350 miles of I-81 in Virginia, there is a lot to choose from.  Unfortunately I've no experience with any along there as it is too close to home for an overnight stop.

I have tent camped at Big Meadows once, great experience in a walk back site.  Big Meadows has a wayside and a visitors center, the wayside had a pretty good breakfast.  Bring quarters for the showers. 

I am told Loft Mountain is also very nice, cooler as it sits higher and not as crowded.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    What is a wayside?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    KeltdubhKeltdubh Member Posts: 54
    If you don't mind dry camping, you may consider Cave Mountain Lake Campground near Natural Bridge, VA.  It's about 7 miles off of Exit 180A.  They have a bath house with free showers and there is water available throughout the campground.  I can not remember if they have a dump station or not.  I highly recommend making reservations this time of year. Cave Mountain Lake Campground
    Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA
    2016 T@B Q Max Outback Package - 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Shenandoah Valley T@BBERS
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Jo_chris I'm not sure where else you can stay on your journey. I wish you safe travels!!

You'll love Shenandoah! There's a visitor center and conference place. They rent cabins too. The visitor's center is really nice and there was a nice cafe there. Careful of getting any gas or diesel at the station. Friend got a bad tank of diesel there.

There are two campgrounds. The main campground at Big Meadows have showers with hot water you use quarters to use (like old washers and dryers). Bring a handful. There's also washer and dryers. No moving firewood into the park due to Emerald Ash Borer, so you'll have to use the wood they provide to buy. It's not pricey, but usually green. The other campground is more north of the parkway called Matthew's Arm. It's little less crowded most of the time.

Rangers and park hosts are very friendly and travel around in golf carts. They are ready to help at any time. Just in case you take one, do NOT leave out coolers outside unattended. There are black bears around and they know those square things have food. Put them in your vehicle. The ranger and park hosts are serious about ticketing people who violate this rule because they don't like having to trap bears and move them. The bears are not aggressive, just opportunistic and the rangers keep an eye on all their animals and take action if they get too acclimated to people. Take your trash out every evening. There are critter and "bear-proof" dumpsters there.  They also enforce the 6' dog leash law more than any park I've ever camped in. The crazy deer just wander around the campground. They just ignore people and graze where they want. Just be careful of the males "in velvet" - when antlers are covered in what looks like fuzzy stuff. Males can be aggressive then. 

Last time I was there, the bathrooms and showers were spotless.  The Appalachian Trail goes by Big Meadows main campground and many hikers stop off there. 

There are many wonderful overlooks to pull over and take pictures. It's also a favorite of motorcyclists to ride. Drive slowly through the parkway switchbacks. I've had to completely stop because of a black bear cub that tumbled across the road with his brother. Mama wasn't far behind. I've also had to avoid those huge land yachts making a tight switchback that crossed the centerline of the road. Of course, if you see one deer cross the road, 11 of his buddies are right behind him.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Jo_chrisJo_chris Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2016
    @Keltdubh and @Ratkity thank you both for the info. I love this forum you can always rely on its members for great feedback! And thanks also @Cyclonic, yes, what is a wayside?
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I vividly remember hearing noises while walking to the restroom at Big Meadows and turning on my flashlight to see several deer a few feet away. Really cool place. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Oh, a wayside is some kind of facility on the Appalachian Trail. Might be parking and picnicking, the one at Big Meadows has a restaurant and a grocery store for resupplying. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    KeltdubhKeltdubh Member Posts: 54
    @Jo_chris Glad we could help. As you travel through Shenandoah National Park, keep your camera ready. Bear sightings have been quite high this year. Lots of Mamas and cubs have been seen. As Photomom has mentioned, you will be guaranteed to see deer at Big Meadows. If you have difficulty getting a site at Big Meadows, there is Lewis Mountain Campground 6 miles South along Skyland Drive. South of that is Loft Mountain at Milepost 80, which has some awesome campsites for RV Camping. Both Big Meadows and Loft Mountain take reservations. This time of year, I would highly recommend making reservations especially if you plan on staying over a weekend.
    Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA
    2016 T@B Q Max Outback Package - 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Shenandoah Valley T@BBERS
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    A wayside is a small convenience store along Skyline Drive.  It usually has some basic supplies, fuel, food, and often a small restaurant.  There are a few of them along the drive, though not as many as there used to be as they don't get the business they used to.

http://www.goshenandoah.com/dining/food-groceries

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA