Options

Outback T@B Fridge / Propane

Hello fellow T@B owners. A quick question / advice. If we ran our fridge off of AC 24 hours prior to traveling to our weekend camping trip and once we set up camp turned on the fridge with propane, on average how long does the fridge run off of propane, if that was the only thing the propane was being used for. No humid/stupid hot temps outside. Our first time with running it off of propane and just looking for some guidance. TIA!
2023 T@B 400 Boondock // TV: 2021 Dodge Durango - Location: Gander, Newfoundland, Canada

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    That's a tough one - but a long time.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I would "guess" at least a couple months. I used my propane in earnest for the first time to run my fridge 24/7, Alde heater at night, Alde heater for a daily hot shower for a five day trip. After I got home, I removed it to top it off, afraid it was low.  It was still super heavy (clue). The guy at the propane refill station laughed as he jotted down 3.2 lb refill on the charge slip.  Both the fridge and the Alde are misers.

Of course your mileage may vary. How long is your trip? If you are talking up to 3 weeks, I would say you would be fine.  

You could also carry an empty second 20 lb tank as a backup (and fill that and swap once at your destination or out and about) if you are really worried about it. 

Maybe others have additional real-life scenarios that can help you judge days per tank.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    A VERY long time.  The fridge uses very little propane.  To get an idea of your total usage, have the tank filled and put it on a bathroom scale. Mark the weight on a piece of tape on the tank.  Go camping. Weight the tank on your return.  I was amazed how little was used when I did this.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    So far I have fourteen days of "dry" camping in which the fridge was run on propane full time, and the Alde was fired up briefly twice a day to make hot water. Maybe used the stove a half-dozen times to brew a pot of coffee.

I just swapped out my original tank, and a check of the weight suggests it's still at least a third full.

I second Outback's suggestion about using a scale. They make little gauges that attach to your tank, but from what I understand they are pretty inaccurate. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I am still on last summer's tank and I have been using it for a week now.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    10 days in hot weather, and only used maybe 1/4 of a tank, the fridge is awesome and very frugal on propane!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf