Options

Need some help with sanitizing the fresh water tank

We haven't used the water in our T@B yet, but before we do I want to sanitize the system.

I bought some of the Thetford 2 part cleaner/sanitizer.  The cleaning part seems pretty straightforward, but there are all kinds of warnings about being poisonous on the sanitizer part. If anyone has used this, what do I do with the diluted solution after I drain it out? Can I let it run down into the storm drain?

Also, do I need to keep the detergent and/or the sanitizer out of the Alde system? And if so, how?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Photomom, why not just use bleach or vinegar? You know what is in those two and no worries about disposal. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Well, I sanitized the tank today. The active ingredients in the Thetford sanitizer are the same as in Lysol and a whole bunch of cleaning and personal care products. The process is a pain though with all the filling, and draining, and filling, and draining...took all afternoon.

I need to look up some of the threads about the water pump since there seemed to be an awful lot of spitting from the faucet.
  • Options
    I do not believe that vinegar would be an effective sanitizer in this case. To kill germs you need to use it full strength, and that would be a heck of a lot of vinegar, and I'd be concerned that the acid would damage metal parts. 

http://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/foodnut/kitchen-sanitize.pdf
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Photomom said:
    I do not believe that vinegar would be an effective sanitizer in this case. To kill germs you need to use it full strength, and that would be a heck of a lot of vinegar, and I'd be concerned that the acid would damage metal parts. 

http://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/foodnut/kitchen-sanitize.pdf
    Photomom, Ratkity was kind enough to give the technical reasons why vinegar can be used by people like me who are allergic to bleach.  http://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/38566/#Comment_38566
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Keep in mind that you aren't sterilizing a plastic water tank for operating room use. What you are doing is getting most the algae slime that tends to grow in water that sits for a while in a plastic container (especially in hot weather). This gives the water a nasty stale odor and taste (won't kill you, just make you gag).

Coliforms (sewer microbes) are very unlikely to get into your fresh water tank unless you fill it from a contaminated water source. While the portable filters can't sterilize such heavy contamination (and aren't made to), you will likely know immediately something is wrong by the smell when you turn on the spigot. The portable filters are good for getting that non-dangerous sulfur odor out, rusty looking water, murky particulate water, pieces of sand, and is good for capturing a few contaminating microbes and algae.

For the conscientious camper owner, a good vinegar or bleach (if not allergic) solution is fine because the camper owner is doing this on a regular basis, i.e. season to season - or is a FT person and there is a constant usage of the tank (no sitting water). Most camper owners also blow out the water lines to prevent freezing in the winter and that also stops that pesky green or slimy algae from taking hold.

Also, any microbial food contaminates will more than likely go into your gray water tank. That tank can get an odor and there are sanitizing and de-odorizing products for that tank when vinegar is too weak and 10% bleach smell nearly knocks you out from the smell. 

I hope this helps alleviate some of your fears about the fresh water tank. When in doubt, or you are immunocompromised for any reason, drink purchased water from sealed bottles. 

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    That's good to know. I doubt I'll do the sanitizing often, but I figured it would be good to start off nice and clean, since I can't see the tank to know what the inside looks like. I do home canning and winemaking, and know how important sanitation is. 
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    A clean, fresh start is always a good policy! :) 

Oooooo, canning and winemaking. I had a food micro course in grad school where in the lab portion we made cheese, wine, beer and canned some items. Then had to let things sit and ferment for a semester! Some folks' stuff didn't do so well (ugh, the smell!). Surprisingly, the cheeses came out really good for everyone! There were a few ok wines for those that drank (the rest was vinegar). The beer left much to be desired (from the connoisseurs), but much fun was had by all and a lot was learned.

Bottom Line: Grandma's precise instructions with her trusty pressure cooker and thermometers were right!

Edited to add: Not leaving out the Grandpa chefs on purpose.. I only had a Grandma.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    My grandmother canned, but wasn't very careful. It's a wonder we survived.

I would love to learn to make cheese. It's on my bucket list.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    The easiest cheese is mozzarella. Lots of YouTube vids and online instructions. It's as easy as making yogurt! 

Then you can start adding cool stuff to your mozzarella like fresh basil and sun-dried tomato bits... omg yum.

Oh.. um... fresh water is always good when cooking (trying to stay on topic here... lol).
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    That's the main reason I used "official" fresh water tank sanitizer. I have to assume Thetford has tested it for safety and effectiveness.
  • Options
    FDA regulates any container that food goes into for chemical reactions. You'll find many online RV replacement tank companies specify their  "Rv Water Tanks are manufactured from Food Grade FDA approved Virgin Polyethylene Plastic Resins".  Food grade means that acidic or alkaline foods will not degrade or cause any secondary chemical compounds to leach into the food product (including liquids).
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @Ratkity knows her stuff. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    @Ratkity knows her stuff. 
    Yes, Ratkity is our local micro biology expert!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Them itty bitty thangs rulez da werld. No one has told the humans yet. LOL. 
  • Options
    They'll be here long after our species is gone.