Options

Outside shower is disappointing - looking for potential mod ideas!

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
We have the indoor bathroom but ordered the outdoor shower anyway for dishwashing, laundry, and potential dog washing.

What have peoples' experiences been with the outdoor shower? Our water flow is very weak, especially using the fresh water tank and pump, and the little shutoff handle on the shower head doesn't completely shut the water off. 

Any tips on making this work better?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Agreed, @Photomom. Pretty weenie flow. Be sure all your internal hose and line fittings are tight. Found mine leaking from all 3 connections today. Going to be looking for an adjustable flow head with a longer, more flexible hose.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Teflon tape will help with connection leaks. Oxygenics makes an RV shower head that increases shower pressure in low pressure water situations. I bought one, but haven't installed it yet (for inside weenie shower that leaks). Will update all when I get around to installing. Good reviews on them.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love my Oxygenics. It solved a leak in the shower wand and conserves water, too. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna, we're getting one for our indoor shower, but I'm not sure it will fit the stowage space for the outdoor shower.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I got the oxygenics for the inside shower. Love it. It has the goofy button that you push to stop the flow from the handset while sudsing up (and water does leak out in that mode) but I think I read somewhere that this is intentional to remind you that the hot and cold knobs are still open. Doubt it would fit in the external shower compartment.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Btw, you can buy a "shut off" for the non-RV shower head if you chose the massage shower head that doesn't have the shut off button with the weep hole to remind you the water spigots are still turned on:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSWPYIG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VikingDad5VikingDad5 Member Posts: 5
    Photomom said:
    We have the indoor bathroom but ordered the outdoor shower anyway for dishwashing, laundry, and potential dog washing.

What have peoples' experiences been with the outdoor shower? Our water flow is very weak, especially using the fresh water tank and pump, and the little shutoff handle on the shower head doesn't completely shut the water off. 

Any tips on making this work better?
    I ordered the outdoor shower for the very same reason.  It has not been installed yet and I believe I can still cancel it.  Would you say then that you wouldn't recommend it?
  • Options
    I think the jury is still out. It may work well enough for our purposes. I can't imagine actually taking a shower with it though. I think there are some here who do that, at least I know there have been some discussions of shower tents. It would be interesting to hear from them.
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    I just used my outdoor shower this weekend and my sentiments exactly.  It is almost worthless. The wtaer dribbles out and that little adjuster does not shut of the spray.   I'm disappointed with many of the T@B features.  I have little to no hot water, the Alde thermostat appears to be less then accurate, my water pump is no longer working.  All this in a 2016 used 4 times.   I never experienced any of these issues with our camper.  For the 20k price I expected the quality would be better.  
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    @Norbert1223 there is a mix valve under the driver's side benches near the Alde that will increase the temp of your hot water. At least I can help with that issue!! I'm sorry you are having problems. I'm sure you are following up on the other things like the water pump. Best to you!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Norbert1223 - Can't see where you've brought up any of the issues on the forum before except the hot water mix. Have you talked to your dealer about any of your issues?
    Why don't you start a thread spelling out the specifics and the forum members can try to help. All of them should be solvable.
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    Use and enjoy my outdoor shower. In another thread I mentioned that one time the campground showers were out. I was with a good sized group. All praised me and my shower. Btw, u mentioned u cleaned out the water pump filter, did u also clean out the shower head? It can get clogged with those lil white bits that seem to bee in all the new pipes. 
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    Hmm, that is a good thought. Will take a look. @Tabster, where is your shower located? We have the indoor bath so our outside shower is in the back near the connector for the 120v input. I wonder if the distance from the pump (which is in the very front) is a factor.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I wouldn't think the distance would matter if the pump is pushing water through once the line is filled.
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    I have a CS. Shower is up near the front. Pump is under the sink in the very back
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    I took apart the outside shower head. There was a tiny bit of schmutz but not enough to impede water flow. The orifice where water comes into the shower head is very small - there is no way it would ever give a good flow!

So my idea is this. If I could find a regular faucet head like this Moen one in my kitchen

and somehow adapt it to the hose that normally screws in to the shower head

it would probably be awesome for our purposes (dishwashing, etc.) And it would fit into the shower compartment much better.

Even better would be some type of faucet head that had a shutoff mechanism that actually works.

So fellow modders, any ideas?
  • Options
    Maybe a faucet aerator, like this one but with male threads?

• Options
    I have sent an email to the factory asking about the outside showers and shower heads . I'll tell you when I get an answer. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    I have sent an email to the factory asking about the outside showers and shower heads . I'll tell you when I get an answer. 
    Thanks, but I'm thinking this is not a T@B specific issue. There are probably lots of small trailers that use this same setup.

Besides, I don't mind hacking stuff.
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Maybe a faucet aerator, like this one but with male threads?

I have used one in the past that had a button instead of the flip-down.  There are many water saving shower heads on Amazon. With button, with the flip down lever, etc. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options

Photomom said:
    Verna said:
    Thanks, but I'm thinking this is not a T@B specific issue. There are probably lots of small trailers that use this same setup.

Besides, I don't mind hacking stuff.
    I realize that, Photomom. I just wanted the factory to be aware that while you are changing the shower head to what you want, others may want a warranty claim. The factory does need to be aware of problems.

I changed my shower wand out in the bathroom to one that was a more efficient water saver and one that I prefer.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Once again, thanks for taking care of us! :-)
  • Options
    Oh, and looking at the way the showerhead shutoff mechanism works, I think the person who said they are designed to not completely shut off the water was correct. There will always be a dribble with this design.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I found that the hose in the shower was a standard connection on each end, maybe the outside shower is too...?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Back to the drawing board - looks like the male threads on faucet aerators are different, so won't fit on the hose.
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2016
    Thank you Verna.  I for one would like to have something different that actually works.  Our camper had a very nice outdoor shower with a shower head that didn't dribble and had enough pressure that it actually was a spray.  Also I was hooked up to water so there shouldn't have been any problem with water pressure.  Well since I don't have a working pump on my new 2016 I guess I'd have to be hooked up to water. :( 

Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    Thank you Verna.  I for one would like to have something different that actually works.  Our camper had a very nice outdoor shower with a shower head that didn't dribble and had enough pressure that it actually was a spray.  Also I was hooked up to water so there shouldn't have been any problem with water pressure.  Well since I don't have a working pump on my new 2016 I guess I'd have to be hooked up to water. :( 

Debbie, you need to contact your dealer about these problems. Your dealer can't help you resolve your problems if they don't know about them. Your dealer is your first point of contact. These negative comments will not be seen by your dealer or Little Guy because they don't read the forum. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options

I called the manufacturer of the module and talked with them about it. They suspect the flow rate is actually more governed by the hot & cold mixer than the shower head. They are going to test the theory by trying the unit with different nozzles and call me back. Once I get more definitive info, I'll let the forum know and perhaps Verna or Mike can reach out to LG/PV. When I replaced my kitchen sink faucet, I thought the problem was with the nozzle, but it was actually a government mandated flow restrictor in the controls. Some secret squirrel removed the restrictor and increased the flow.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    Love those secret squirrels...
    Mr_Mrs_Gnome said: ...
    When I replaced my kitchen sink faucet, I thought the problem was with the nozzle, but it was actually a government mandated flow restrictor in the controls. Some secret squirrel removed the restrictor and increased the flow.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Just spoke with the manufacturer again and they tested the unit with different nozzles and the flow was still minimal, hence the problem appears to be with the hot & cold mixer. Could be a few issues, where the orifices in the mixer are too small, not allowing sufficient flow or even two large to not have enough umph (is that scientific term?). Obviously, the system is not optimal for a decent flow, either on city water or tank/pump water. I haven't tried using a nozzle other than the one with a unit to see if aerated or smaller openings in the nozzle would help.