Options

Fridge problems??

Anyone have trouble with their fridge? I've had my T@B for 4 months and had nothing but problems with fridge. Dealer isn't helpful. Any suggestions? I'm camping out of state right now without a working fridge.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Which fridge do you have - 2-way or 3-way?
    What specific problems are you having?
  • Options
    LdaggettLdaggett Member Posts: 4
    We have the 3 way. It has worked on propane once. Now it doesn't work at all. It won't turn on with any of the options. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    Hmmm. If you have shore power, that's the most 'reliable' power source for troubleshooting.

If not, then troubleshooting the propane system is a little more involved.

And using the 12v battery as a power source would be a last resort, and only when the tow vehicle is running.

With all power sources, the three way needs to be pretty near level (use a cup of water in the bottom of the fridge if nothing better).

On shore power, you'll need to have the fridge on for at least, oh, maybe 12 hours, before you notice the fins are cool.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    As Chan mentions, sensitive to being level. First thing I do when setting up is level for the fridge.
  • Options
    Thanks for input. It's level, had it urged in for well over 12 hours with no results. Have to take it in once we get back into town. As of last night we have no power. TV started to flicker...then things started to die off. It's not working when plugged on and has drained battery somehow. Very disappointed with out trailer. Power worked fine the night before and we haven't done anything different.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Is your trailer plugged into a power pedestal at your campsite, is the breaker on, and is the light on the power cord where it comes into your trailer on?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Like Photomom said.

Sounds like your shore power is not working.

Check the pedestal breaker, the LED indicator on the Tab end of your power cord, then check the breakers and fuses in the breaker box and the fuse on the battery cable.

Don't plug into your Tow Vehicle if your Tab battery is dead, unless your Tow Vehicle is already running. You don't want to drain your car battery too. Your vehicle will charge your Tab battery some, but it will take many hours of driving to charge it from depleted.

Don't run the 3-way fridge on battery unless you're driving. Turn off the fridge when the vehicle isn't running.

Shore power should be keeping your battery charged. Start with figuring out what's up with your shore power.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    edited March 21

http://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/3852/#Comment_3852

Here is a previous discussion about an inoperable Norcold.  Looks like there are three fuses on top of the unit.  The stove needs to be removed to access them.  Just search "Norcold Fuse" for more links.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    I believe one is for AC, one is for propane, and one is for 12v (which is also used for propane operation). At least 2 would have to be blown to keep the fridge from working at all. Possible, but not likely. Occam's razor says to make sure he's getting 120v from the campsite first, given his other symptoms. 
  • Options
    Photomom - if you read the cited thread, his fridge did not work on propane or A/C with only one fuse blown. At this point, I'd lift off the stove and check all three.  Someone posted instructions on how to remove the stove to check the thermo-couple.  The four screws are "hidden" under the rubber bumpers for the glass cover.
  • Options
    I stand corrected.  Looks like the propane malfunction was caused by a bad valve - not the fuse.
  • Options
    Thanks for input! Much appreciated! It's going to the dealer on the 1st. The red light is on when we plug it in. It's just not taking the power. Charged a bit on the 11 hour drive home. Checked the breakers...they are all fine. Guess we'll know in after that appt.
  • Options
    OutbackAZ - I had a tank with a bad valve once - no fridge but the giveaway was no burners.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Am I correct that if running on LP and if a fuse was blown, I would not be able to light or stay lit?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I believe it would depend on the fuse.  The 120v circuit has one, the propane relighter circuit has one, and the 12v circuit (which is also involved in propane usage) has one.

Are you having fridge probs?
  • Options
    Tending to think it is the fan or thermostat. Fridge isn't cooling well. Can't eliminate altitude, though, as I am above 9,000, however, I recall things not staying as cold as usual on the drive out, either.i ran it on shore power for about 5 days prior to driving out, while at my brother's. The Norcold fan never comes on. I am just wondering if I need to pull the stove and check the fuses, too.

But, isn't 12v needed as a a part of the electric igniter for the fridge? If the 12v fuse was blown, I wouldn't think I could ignite it.

I will pronably start by replacing the Norcold fan. (I actually have one with me, as well as a flexible screwdriver tool.)

I have been using ice to keep things cold. Far from ideal. The quickest way to troubleshoot would probably be to connect to shore power.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    12v is needed for the propane igniter so if you have no fridge on propane it could be the relighter fuse or the fridge's 12v fuse.

If you can recharge your battery you could also try the fridge on the 12v setting as well as the 120v setting to try to narrow down the problem.
  • Options
    But if it is cooling at all that would eliminate a fuse issue.
  • Options
    My fridge goes into "what the heck" mode every once in awhile. I shut it all down and start over. It usually goes back to normal but I have had it do this for 2-3 days. It's also flaky on the temp dial. Sometimes it cold at 3 , othertimes at 4 or 5. Sometimes when it's in flake mode, 5 makes it warmer.
    So, before you start tearing into things, start over and try different setting ps on the temp dial.

AND - Did you install the fridge exhaust fan yet? If not, do it.
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @PXLated, is this something you are recommending for ALL 3 way fridges, regardless of year?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    My fridge goes into "what the heck" mode every once in awhile. I shut it all down and start over. It usually goes back to normal but I have had it do this for 2-3 days. It's also flaky on the temp dial. Sometimes it cold at 3 , othertimes at 4 or 5. Sometimes when it's in flake mode, 5 makes it warmer.
    So, before you start tearing into things, start over and try different setting ps on the temp dial.

AND - Did you install the fridge exhaust fan yet? If not, do it.
    That is interesting. I have tried different temperature settings, to no avail. I have not shut it down, altogether for a bit, so maybe I will try that soon. The fridge is getting low on content, so this weekend might be a good time.

The exhaust fan won't solve the main fan not running. I would like to solve that before installing the ex

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_Gnome - Not really a recommendation, just an observation and what I found with mine and what I do on those occassions.

Jenn - My main fan doesn't run very often, only when hot out and the front of the T&B is facing into the sun. I do use the aux fan if the counter feels warm even if the main fan isn't running.
    As I mention, the funk thing is intermittent and not often. The first time it happened I talked to Ed at the factory and it was kind of like a "hmmmmmm, keep him posted" and then it corrected itself.
  • Options
    Thanks, @PXLated.

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    PXLated said:
    Mr_Mrs_Gnome - Not really a recommendation, just an observation and what I found with mine and what I do on those occassions.
    Wondering if the additional air flow would increase O2 availability to the Propane burner, especially for higher altitudes.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    An interesting informational article about caring for our beloved absorption refrigerators:
    http://www.rvdoctor.com/2001/02/rv-absorption-refrigeration-cooling.html
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2016

Need to lift glass stove lid lift rubber stopper pops off to access 4 torx screws lift stove up you will see thsee 3 fuses. Make sure battery disconnected along with shore power. Caution not to loosen screws to much there is a plastic piece that clamp tightens  to bottom of counter.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    Not that I'm expecting to remove my stove, but it appears that mine has been neatly caulked in place. Is this typical?
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2016
    You can also reach from vent cover removal.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    The auxiliary fan is moving air, but the fridge still won't go below 50 on LP unless I put a bunch of ice in it. I am going to remove the stove top today and double check the fuses. I suspect I will be replacing the thermostat.

• Options
    If it cools at all on a given heat source I can't imagine it's the associated fuse. If it works equally poorly on all heat sources it is probably a component that's common to all 3 sources, like the thermostat. Have you eliminated the altitude as the source of the problem?