Options

Camping at KOA

CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
edited June 2016 in Camping & Travel
Making me do moderator type work :tongue:

This discussion was created from comments split from: Post up some shots of your T@B set-up at the camp site!.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
Sterling, VA

Comments

• Options
    Cyclonic's post reminded me of this and had to post.  Sometimes you just have to do the KOA for that quick stop and be T@B strong amongst the crowd. In Cartersville GA

Actually, for the most part, I have liked the KOA's I have stayed at, the people are nice and they usually have very nice amenities.  This one was very well kept, and the only thing holding it back from being one of the best I have been to is how close to the highway it was.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Cyclonic said:
    Cyclonic's post reminded me of this and had to post.  Sometimes you just have to do the KOA for that quick stop and be T@B strong amongst the crowd. In Cartersville GA

Actually, for the most part, I have liked the KOA's I have stayed at, the people are nice and they usually have very nice amenities.  This one was very well kept, and the only thing holding it back from being one of the best I have been to is how close to the highway it was.
    I did not intend to imply anything negative about our KOA experiences.  We agree word for word with you about KOA's.  We stay frequently for overnights along the way as they are easy in and out, and have power for the AC.   It was still over 80 when we went to bed that night and really needed it.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I too often frequent KOAs for overnight stops. As others say, easy in and out, decent level pullthroughs, 30 Amp plug, and often have good laundry facilities (needed when on an extended trip at State Parks, etc.). Easy late night arrival, can book online.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    For the most part I have had very good KOA experiences.  There was that one North of St Louis that was not at all nice, but all the others have been some of the best private campgrounds I have been to.  Usually decent, clean showerhouses (one outside Dayton had TV's in the showerhouse), level sites, good location for traveling.  We will be staying in several on this trip, including several days in one near Six Flags St Louis (not the same one).

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    A couple years ago, before we had our T@B, we rented a Kamping Kabin at the Erie PA KOA for a weekend while visiting Presque Isle. The facility was nice, clean, and friendly, and we were impressed by the off leash dog play yard. We'd definitely go there again. I had sought out online reviews ahead of time and I think that's the key to a good camping experience, KOA or not.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I find most KOA campgrounds to be a little old, but generally clean.  They are my go-to if I'm caught out needing a place stay that I haven't had time to check out.  Late arrival generally allows self-check-in.  Saved my bacon in Tucumcari, NM, on my way home from Quartzsite with snow coming down in January.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I will stay at KOA's because I know what to expect, and I feel safe. As Larry says, they might be older and dated, but they are clean. If there is a problem, it is taken care of.  On my last tent camping trip, I tent camped only twice (one a KOA), but then I made use of the KOA cabins across the Northern Plains. 

And, I have noticed that some KOA's are updating their bathrooms with ceramic tiles and updated fixtures. I recommend the Shreveport KOA during periods of high water because they are on high ground, they are quiet, a large dog run and friendly staff. The Durango KOA has a two dog runs--one for large dogs, one for small dogs. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ronin718ronin718 Member Posts: 92
    We've stayed at three KOAs so far in our T@Bbing adventures (Jonestown, PA; Lynchburg and Charlottesville, VA) and have been pretty happy with them.  I tend to check out the non-KOA reviews on potential locations before I book so I can test the waters for staff, cleanliness, amenities, and site conditions.  We're doing another one this fall at Staunton, VA so we can enjoy the colors of the Shenandoahs.

John & Lori in Northern VA
    Former owner of 2015 T@B CS Max "Uteki" aka "H@wk T@B"
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road "Zame"

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Cyclonic said:
    Making me do moderator type work :tongue: This discussion was created from comments split from: Post up some shots of your T@B set-up at the camp site!.
    Thanks for splitting this topic. 
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    wanderingchickof66wanderingchickof66 Member Posts: 18
    Ronin718:  I stayed at the Staunton, VA, KOA several times on my way to Tennessee. In Feb this year waited out a snowstorm. Lots to do in Staunton--Woodrow Wilson Library and also the Frontier Museum which was fun. Did that this June--not in the snowstorm;)
    Pam - Blandon, PA
    2015 T@B CS-S (Miss Daisy) towed by a 2014 GMC Acadia
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    Need advice.  Never been to a KOA.  Plan to visit Lake Livingston TX in September.  TX state parks is under renovation till 1/2017 so KOA is the other choice.  Tried to call their phone number no success.

Like to join KOA membership but need to learn from you all.  TIA 
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    VeronicaVeronica Member Posts: 12
    I love KOAs too.  When I was growing up and on an RV trip with my family, they were a great big yellow beacon for clean and decent campgrounds (usually with a pool and/or play area).  As an adult, I still find the KOAs are clean and safe.  I don't go out of my way to stay at one, but if it's on the route, I try to end up at one (unless the reviews for it are hideous). I don't know about the club membership, my dad always had Good Sam Club. That's what I have now.  Also, Playc, if they aren't answering they may be crazy busy or the campground may be filled up.  Happy traveling. 
    First T@b trip August 15-Sept??, 2016.
    Nights in T@b: 23 (so far)
    States visited (including driving through): SC, NC, TN, KY, OH, IN, IL, WI, MN, ND, MT, AB (Alberta, Canada), MT, WY, SD and counting. 

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I like KOA's while traveling. They are predictable, I feel safe as a solo traveler and they will do everything in their power to make you happy. Sure they are a bit more expensive than state parks, but state parks here in Indiana rarely have water spigots at each campsite and KOA even have water at tent sites.  I highly recommend keeping your membership for the 10% discount. But, I don't  necessarily renew on the anniversary. I wait until I get to the first KOA I camp at after the membership expires. You still get your discount, but you're not paying for times when you may not use it for a year or so. 

Individual ones that I have stayed at:
    Deadwood, SD --this is definitely on the side of a hill, sort of terraced levels, but I was staying in one of the Kabins. It was like being in a treehouse because the Kabins were built on stilts and the decks were in the pine trees..The restrooms were individual bathrooms that were in a prefabricated building. Very nice. Be sure to set your parking brake and give your chocks an extra kick while camping here. One if my favorites
    Durango, CO (you can't always get into the lesser expensive state and national forest sites)--because of the large campsites, it almost feels like your 're in a woods; one of my favorites
    West Yellowstone (my older sister just stayed there and actually came out of her RV to talk to other Camper's!);
    there is one on the Smokies, I can't remember the name, but I was tent camping with my sister and the sites were so secluded from each other--very nice. Cherokee, TN,..  that might be where it was. 
    The Shreveport, LA KOA is simple, lots of RV monsters, but has upgraded their bathroom facilities and is OK for being crowded, but it is on high ground and if you're around during flood season, it's a good place to stay.
    Abilene, TX is good, but watch it in case of heavy rain. Another one with newer upgraded bathrooms, and has a good laundry. 
    Las Cruces, NM is on the side of a hill, nice, but for some reason the other Camper's weren't friendly. Of course it was cool outside, but they all stayed inside and when outside, they weren't talkative. The restrooms were dated but clean. 
    There is a KOA in Mississippi that is in the piney woods, has secluded campsites and is wonderful. I 'll have to look it up because it was a good one. 
    Benson, AZ--not my favorite, but it will do if the state parks and BLM campsites are full. Very dated facilities. You are not allowed to place tent stakes for your visor or awning. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    On a recent trip, I stayed at a KOA in Tucumcari, NM.  Nice, easy to get to from the highway, AND they also delivered breakfast/dinner to your camper.  Nice little perk.  Only one KOA was not what I expected, but they did have ducks greet you when you came out your door, so all is forgiven.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Stayed at the one at Cascade Locks in Oregon. Very nice, good amenities and nice folks. Good central location for lots of good site seeing. Nice pool, hot tub, bathrooms, and full hookups. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    KOAs are always great for the first of the season camper shakedowns. They usually are crowded, zombies abound, but it's always nice to be able to have people knowledgeable about the area if you have a problem.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have had 2 drastically different experiences. The first was bad. It was on the north side of Louisville. It was July, steamy, and I had a wedding, and therefore needed a/c and to be close. It met those basic requirements. I paid a fortune and had RVs less than 20 feet on either side of my T@b. The train scared me to death and kept me up most of the night.

The second experience was at the Ouray KOA. It was a very nice facility with more space and great BBQ dinners.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Allie said:
    On a recent trip, I stayed at a KOA in Tucumcari, NM.  Nice, easy to get to from the highway, AND they also delivered breakfast/dinner to your camper.  Nice little perk.  Only one KOA was not what I expected, but they did have ducks greet you when you came out your door, so all is forgiven.
    That's the one I stayed at in January.  Office was closed when I got there and was still closed when I left, trying to beat the snow.  Difficult for me to give an evaluation of the facilities because I never saw them.  The electricity worked so I could run my little heater, and I got about five hours of sleep, which is all I was looking for.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    Just got back to Minnesota from a 3600 mile round trip visiting relatives back east in Upstate NY and Massachusetts. Our first real trip with our T@B and I would call it a great success! Will post more later on some of our modifications now that we have had experience with them. On our way out and on our way back we stayed at a beautiful family oriented KOA on the east side of Lake Chautauqua in Western New York State. It wasn't cheap, but clean and wonderful views of the lake in many campsites as the whole camp is located on a hill overlooking the lake. Also very nice showers, laundry rooms, etc. As with another campsite where we stayed near the Illinois/Iowa boarder, a staff member on a golf cart leads you through the rather large facility to your site and answers any questions about your hook ups.

• Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    The KOA in Missoula MT is very near the freeway and all the local box stores, but tucked back behind.  The one in Polson MT is also nice -- has lake views, good amenities -- and it behind a giant fancy members-only RV park.
    2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky