Options

Best toilet treatment for a T@B S!

Connor2008Connor2008 Member Posts: 12
i have listed this question on a thread that seemed loosely related and searched with every combination of words I can think of and have come up empty so I thought I would start a new one.  Any suggestions for the best toilet treatment/chemical to use in a T@B toilet.   Most products seem to be for 40 gal grey/black water tanks. I'm pretty sure our T@B S tank is <20 gal. Suggestions?  Thanks.  Brand new owner.  

Dan & Nancy   Vermont   Orange/Silver 2013 S--Dre@msicle--TV 2013 Tacoma 4x4. 
Nights spent in T@b
D   6
N   6

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Good question - When you hit an RV store or Walmart there seems to be an endless assortment/variety all with basically the same description on the package. It's almost a lost cause trying to pick one. Might just as well close your eyes and grab.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    You're right Connor2008, the Tab S black tank is @ 5gal.

We use Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda, enough to soften the water a bit, and put a gallon or so in the tank when it's empty, so things don't stick in there when you use it.. It also says it deodorizes, and we've never had a problem with smell.

I make a concentration equivalent to a strong washing solution, about 1/2 cup per gallon, so it stays effective as it gets 'diluted' as we fill the tank.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Connor, I found I didn't like the results of the small blue bottles, although they are the most economical. I picked up the orange packets at Walmart, and even though they are intended for the big guys, they do keep the odor down and seem to ummmmmm...... break up the solids. 

It seems the Camco brand is the one that you can find at just about every RV business and Walmart. 

It's a trial and error and what your nose can detect. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    And don't fall for the 'ice cubes clean out your tank' myth... A guy did a test, here:
    http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/do-ice-cubes-in-the-rv-black-tank-really-work/
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited June 2016
    I love the Happy Campers stuff. I just put in 1/2 - 1 scoop. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I do the disolvable packets but no particular one - Close my eyes and grab. Only time I've ever had an oder was after a dump one time.
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    PXLated said:
    Only time I've ever had an oder was after a dump

ROFL.  Sorry, dirty mind. ;-))
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Excellent, thanks everyone. I'll close my eyes and grab or I'll get the orange packets because they will match the Dre@msicle!  Thanks again.  I love these groups.   :)
    Nights spent in T@b
    D   6
    N   6
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Really PXL? :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Short for "Dump Station" - Jeeeeeeese you guys.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ok. Better stick [OOPS!] with that story! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Must.sedate.brain.cell.OMG.the.four.year.old.poop.jokes.are.trying.to.escape!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    We use Odorlos. There is no odor from the product as well as the tank.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @kybob, what version or Odorlos, liquid or dry? Read a report about the concentrated dry on a plastic fitting causing plastic to soften.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    We started with liquid and now use the dry that comes in a bucket. We put a scoop in and add a little water. I don't like the smell the other chemicals put out. They make my nose itch. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    Thanks. Will do. 
    Nights spent in T@b
    D   6
    N   6
  • Options
    JustjudyJustjudy Member Posts: 75
    How much water does it take to cover the bottom of the black tank? I have read that the bottom should be completely covered by water before the treatment is added. I don't want to put in TOO much water, since the tank capacity is only 6 gallons. 
    Larry and Judy. 2015 T@B S M@xx. Silver with black trim. Bell@. Towed by a 2005 Toyota Tacoma.
  • Options
    Justjudy said:
    How much water does it take to cover the bottom of the black tank? I have read that the bottom should be completely covered by water before the treatment is added. I don't want to put in TOO much water, since the tank capacity is only 6 gallons. 
    Judy, I pull the lever for about the count of two normal flushes....if you can figure that out. The black water tank lasts me for 7 or 8 days, one person. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I just pour in a gallon.
    A cup full will cover the bottom but it will only be 1/32" deep.
    How deep do you want it :-)
  • Options
    JustjudyJustjudy Member Posts: 75
    Ha! How deep do I want it? 
    Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
    Larry and Judy. 2015 T@B S M@xx. Silver with black trim. Bell@. Towed by a 2005 Toyota Tacoma.
  • Options
    Kinda wish we could flush with gray water rather than fresh. When I was in Afghanistan during a drought, we were rationed to a quart of water to bathe in daily. We stood in a plastic kiddie pool and then collected the gray water to flush poo down the commode (we had a western style toilet). The paper from cleaning up business was collected in a covered trash can next to the commode and then taken to a burn pit.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Would it be possible to dump the gray water into a bucket and use that for flushing?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Would it be possible to dump the gray water into a bucket and use that for flushing?
    I would think if you purchased a gray water cap with a hose adapter built into it, you could stop the flow enough to be neat about draining just a bucket full of gray water. The gray water comes out of the "chute" so quickly that it would be hard to contain without an adapter.  

This is a great idea when you need to go else where to get water and and even better idea when you have to pay for water. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    You could put a little valve on that hose to controll the flow.
  • Options

How about something like this?

• Options
    There are RVers out there who do recycle the grey water and have elaborate systems to catch it in their showers, if you do a web search.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options

How about something like this?

Yes, that is what I was trying to describe. I bought a shut off for the end of the hose (probably should put it on this attachment) so it can instantly be shut off. My gray tank fills up quicker than the black, so if I use the gray for flushing, that will save me a day or so between dumps. Walmart has 5' black hoses so you can keep your hose uses separate. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I have my 2 small portable (5 gal) waste tanks. With those, I can manage 2 weeks before needing to go to a dump station. I only use them for grey water. 

• Options
    BNAG8RBNAG8R Member Posts: 5
    Had our first camp this weekend with the new T@B.  Learned a lot on the "shakeout", but had a question for the forum re black water tank.  Emptied and flushed the tank, then added about a gallon of fresh water with a "porta-pak" deodorizer before leaving the campground.  My T@B will be in stored covered for about 2 weeks this way before I use it again - will this be ok? Any issues with storing it this way?
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    You'll be fine!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...