Options

Need first time advice.

ApopejoyApopejoy Member Posts: 14
Are these things I can safely use when hooked up to electricity:  blow dryer, curling iron, toaster oven, none are 12 v.  Anything I should not use. Can I use more than one at a time?  Have a TAB S. Thanks.  
Max S. Tumb@lweed, north Texas. 

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Multiply amps times volts to see how many watts you have available.

On a 15 amp circuit like at your house you have 15 * 120 = 1800 watts. 

On a 30 amp circuit like at an RV campsite you have 30 * 120 = 3600.

Your appliances should be labeled with how many watts they need. Just make sure the total is less than the wattage available (1800/3600).
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,432
    Just like in your house, you can use all that stuff PROVIDED you don't exceed the capacity of your circuit.

That said, on my 2015 S, all the GFI receptacles are on a single 15 amp circuit. That only gives you 1800 watts to work with at any one time (120 volts x 15 amps =1800 watts). Practically speaking, that should run any of those devices individually. Heating appliances are real power hogs, though, so trying to run more than one at a time will probably cause the circuit breaker to trip.

Keep in mind that the built-in 120 volt appliances (A/C, Alde, and fridge) have their own dedicated circuits. You should be able to run those at the same time as your blow dryer provided you don't exceed 30 amps (3600 watts) total for the entire camper. This of course assumes you are plugged into 30 amp service--if you only have 20 amp service, you only have 2400 watts to work with and will need to adjust accordingly.

To answer your specific question; if everything is working properly, safety is not a major concern. The circuit breakers will protect the trailer, and the GFI receptacles will protect you!  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    edited June 2016
    The 110v outlets (except air conditioner) are on a 15amp breaker. Add up your total simultaneous usage of devices plugged in to those outlets to make sure you're under 1650 watts. Sounds like those 3 are probably OK (since most of that type are under that wattage), but probably 1 at a time. The air conditioner is on a separate breaker; if you're not using the air conditioner you can connect another device into the outlet into which your air conditioner is connected. 

(Edit: What ScottG said. :) )

gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have never had an issue with using a hairdryer.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I occasionally use a hair dryer with no problem when connected to shore power (electricity). I don't use a curling iron or a toaster oven.

But, I have used a microwave plugged into the GFCI outlet with no problems. I have had a 20" box fan plugged into the outside outlet, which is the same circuit as the GFCI and used the microwave with no problems.

Use Photomom's calculations and you'll be fine. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ApopejoyApopejoy Member Posts: 14
    You folks are jewels. Thanks for adding another page to my " one notes" re the T@B. 
    Max S. Tumb@lweed, north Texas. 
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Since we have a clamshell, we run our toaster oven, and the microwave on a seperate power cord plugged directly into the campground pole 110 power. Most campgrounds have at least a duplex 20 Amp plug on the pole in addition to the 30Amp. I don't use a hair dryer, but my hubby does. He either uses it at the bath house, or on the kitchen plug in the clam. No issues.

In cold weather, we've run a space heater, two CPAP machines, and have two phones, and a couple of ecig batteries charging on the camper circuit with no issues.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL