Options

Generator for '08 T@B

We are shopping for a small generator that can power the AC, refrigerator and lights on our '08 T@B.  Sure, I could spend hours researching amps, watts and the gnomes that make this stuff work, but thought I would go straight to the user group for my answer.  While I wait, I can read other threads.  I wouldn't want any other posters to think they had wasted their time.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The general concenses is you need a 2000w generator in order to not damaged the AC compressor at start up. Some have run the AC with a 1000 however. I happen to have the Honda 2000i. The Honda's are the most prevelent out in the campground world. Yamaha comes in second.
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Most of the Honda 2000 generators will not run the Cool Cat, if that's  your AC unit.  I say "most" because apparently there are some tiny difference in each Honda as well as each Cool Cat, enough to allow some to work.  They're the minority.  It may run it for a bit, but will not continue to cycle on and off.  You can read more about it on the Yahoo forum.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    The Honda 2000i powers my T@B Max S AC, fridge, and accessories with ease. Recommend using the power saving mode. We bought ours before taking delivery of the T@B thinking we would need it for boondocking. We ended up never using it except for testing. I'd recommend waiting till you actually need a generator before buying one. Honda and Yamaha seem to be the highly rated brands and ~2K watts is sufficient power.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    TABaker - Really, didn't know that. So you're SOL if you have the CoolCat. Can't imagine hauling a bigger generator around.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    You can connect 2 2000w hondas together with parallel cables. Easier to haul around if AC is necessary. Easier to haul than the 3000w honda.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    You'll need the Honda EU2000i Companion generator (about $150 more) and the cables that come with it for 30A parallel operation with another Honda EU2000i generator. I found in my set up that the Honda EU2000i Companion has a 30A twist lock receptacle so you'll need an adapter to connect it to the T@B's standard power cable. If running 20A or less, you can plug into the generator's 20A receptacle. The EU2000i Companion version lacks the 12V power outlet, which was not important to me.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    To be clear - from my understanding - the companion is not meant to be run by itself, only in conjunction with the 2000i. So you have double the price.
  • Options
    The companion can run by itself. Same mechanics, different control features - no battery charger and a 30A receptacle instead of an additional 20A set of outlets.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    When traveling, where do you store your generator and gas can? If in the TV, is there any gas smell?  Would you be able to cover them in any way to lower that problem? There isn't much space outside to put them.  If stored in the camper, will gas smell linger?  
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Terry, there's 2 shut-offs for the gas: The vent in the cap and the shut off to the gas line on the generator itself. I have the generator in my house and there is no oil or gas smell. The gas container is another issue. I keep that outside. Other people may chime in on how they store extra gas for the genny.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I haul my EU2000i in the Tab in the center close to the shower door. Extra gas in the shower. No gas odor. Honda has a knob on gas cap to shut off the air intake and gas can has anti-spill spout.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    Ratkity - Was told by several dealer and info online that no, you can't use the companion by itself. Had one try to sell me the companion but all the others said no.

TerryV6 - I have the gen and gas in the back of the TV and no gas smell. Both have sealed caps. I keep it there as it only comes out on rainy/crappy days. For me it'd be a real pain if in the T@B and had to unload that every time.
  • Options
    Thank you for the input.  That was my last deal breaker I could think of along with the price tag.. We don't want to be tied to power sites.  We would not run it during the day, as we mostly use our camp as a base to scope out stuff to do.  We'd probably run it for 3-4 hours when needed for sleeping comfort.  Last trip we spent the days on a boat trip, a hike along the bluffs, and an excursion to a nearby town where we took in a rock show ( insert jokes here).  We are not enthusiasts, but wife loves the pretty polished stones and we have them around the house.  There were some beautiful geodes, but were outside our budget.  She did "let" me buy her a necklace....
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6 - Remember, most campgrounds have quiet hours (10pm>7am) so it's hard to use the gen for sleeping. If it cools down at night so you just need to pre-cool, the gen works well. If it's hot 24hrs, a hookup site is the best option. Of course if you're really out there boondocking with nobody around, you're good for whatever.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Ratkity - Was told by several dealer and info online that no, you can't use the companion by itself. Had one try to sell me the companion but all the others said no.

TerryV6 - I have the gen and gas in the back of the TV and no gas smell. Both have sealed caps. I keep it there as it only comes out on rainy/crappy days. For me it'd be a real pain if in the T@B and had to unload that every time.
    Dealers were wrong. I have a Honda Service Dealer 3 miles up the road from me. They assured me they are the same unit, different control features (all still 20A). I've used mine several times with the T@B and it works flawlessly.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Good for you - I went with the several vs one opinion :-)
  • Options
    boo - Curious - Can you get the Westinghouse fixed if needed almost anywhere?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Might not concern you but could be an issue if actually out travelling and don't have your favorite local repair shop handy. Just asking for others - I could personally care less boo.
  • Options
    Not an option for those of us that travel - Mine would be out of commission for at least 6 months. Unlike you, I need to get mine fixed in whatever town is close by. I wouldn't be leaving it there, I'd be waiting for it :-)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It doesn't matter which generator you buy because there will always be differing opinions.

'Nuff said on possible generator repair and back to a generator for an '08 Dutchman T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Well, we ended up going to Cabelas in Green Bay, Wi and buying the Yamaha's EF2000iSv2.  We had earned $100 in credit card points, so it was a good deal.  It got good reviews, supposed to be fairly quiet, with some nice features... We will see.  
    Just got back from going to my 50th anniversary of my 8th grade graduation.  Wow, did those people get old...

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    I think the Yamaha is actually a little quieter than the Honda.
  • Options
    Always heard good things about the Yamaha, Terry. It's like the Nikon-Canon camera debate. Good is good, ya know? Too funny about your reunion. When I was growing up, the only graduation they had was H.S. and I'd rather forget those times - or perhaps since it was the late 70's, I don't really remember those times :wink:
  • Options
    While still awkward, it didn't have the HS anxieties..  And... 8 years with the same kids...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    So now we will occasionally take a generator with us.  I don't plan on traveling with gas for a long trip.  Rather, we think we'd fill the can nearer the campsite.  In any case, I'm thinking of strapping it in front of the tub.  It's only 2 1/2 gallons, so I don't think it would be a tongue weight problem. Does anyone see any other concerns?
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Heat from the sun?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    All new containers have venting systems - some sort of new standard that I found out about when buying a new one exactly like Terry's. Terry could always cover it in some sort of flame-retardant material, such as that thin aluminum insulation. It was just a passing thought. Not sure it would work. I think the "Jeepers" (Jeep owners) can chime in as they frequently carry spare gas cans on their crazy off-road outings! (Gotta luv them Jeepers.. they have more cool gadgets.... :heart:
  • Options
    bigskyboundbigskybound Member Posts: 16
    Lots of great input.  Thanks.  Honda seems to be preferred, but I think it is the Ford vs Chevy or Browning vs Remington argument.  As several posters have noted, all small engines break down and the Honda is becoming more Chinese every day. We are considering the Westinghouse WH2000iXLT or its big brother the 2400 watt model.  Some reviews say the 2000 watt runs small camper ACs just fine, others say not.  The 2400 would do the trick and still be $300 less than the Honda 2000i.  Any other thoughts on the Westinghouse?
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    A friend and his wife have the Westinghouse.  Worked fine at 7,350 foot elevation.  VERY quiet - noticeably quieter than my Honda 1000i.  Only time will tell how reliable they are.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Mariner459Mariner459 Member Posts: 146
    edited August 2016
    A rock might puncture it. Maybe check with local firefighters for ideas and concerns about heat, impact, etc.  Metal jerry cans stored in a mounted metal container?