Options

Could City Water fill the Fresh Water Tank?

Hooking up at home to City Water for the first time (with pressure regulator, filter, etc.) to check everything out before a first extended trip. (Previously just filled the fresh water tank with short piece of tubing connected to a hose - tip from this blog, thanks to all - into opening above city water for winterizing, spring flushing and a couple of short trips) All faucets and toilet seem to work fine, but it doesn't appear that any water is going into the fresh water tank. Is this because the city water connects after the pump which must effectively prevent back flow? Or is there a way the city water could fill the fresh water tank? Also, does anyone know why the water from the system is considered non-potable? If the system gets sanitized during the spring de-winterizing, it would seem the water would be safe if the system was occasionally sanitized with a mild clorox solution and then flushed. I have two collapsable fresh water carriers so I have no problem carrying fresh water with me, but it would be nice if that nice big tank of fresh water was usable in drinking and cooking.

Fergie in MN

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    Yep, you got it. The pump and city water connection each has a one way check valve.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    No, you can't fill the fresh water tank thru the city hookup connector - You have to do it thru the tilt out access.
    It's as good as the water you put in - I consider it potable. Some don't consider anything but bottled water acceptable.
  • Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    To Chan: Thanks! That seems logical when you think about it.

To PXLated, thanks also! I was hoping there was no fundamental reason why it wouldn't be like any other RV with a water system.

Based on what I read today about safety and hygiene and considering what I and most others have consumed in the past, it's amazing the human race is still here! The "tilt-out" access is a pain, but I purchased the unit that Jen Grover installed and wrote about as a replacement and will be putting it in before we leave. 

Thanks again, Fergie in MN

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have to say,  using my 5 gallon scepter can with the new gravity fill is no problem,  at all.  Good riddance to the tilt out one. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited June 2016
    Don't have a problem with the tilt-out if it would just seal tight - doesn't. But, it hasn't been annoying enough to activate a change
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    jkjenn said:
    I have to say,  using my 5 gallon scepter can with the new gravity fill is no problem,  at all.  Good riddance to the tilt out one. 
    I replaced mine as well. Love it. I use 2.5 gallon water container. Spout fits nicely. No more wet shoes (unless I overfill the tank and then the Redneck Shoe Washer is activated).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)