Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    *snort* I don't think it's those witches you need to worry about... Muhahahahahahaha..... be more scared of mad scientists! :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,445
    Great. A beeping disco light that goes off every time a wild hamster wanders by. Can't wait for that to appear in my favorite campgrounds.

Hmmm...am I being paranoid?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If you're so frightened of the outdoors you need this, you really should just go to a hotel.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    21 Months and have only been - worried isn't the right word but can't think of one that fits - one time.
    Amazed at that. Thought that with all the boondocking I'd have had to worry more.
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Tent camped with someone who had a motion sensor light. Every time their rain fly fluttered....it was lights on. He threw it into a tree.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have used a motion sensor light for raccoons under my Silver Shadow teardrop here in Indiana. They didn't like it, it didn't bother anyone else, nor me, and I had a good night's sleep.

I do have a driveway motion sector sensor that I have used for the night before leaving on a trip when everything is loaded. I put it in the side window of the T@B, pointing at the truck.  It's strange how I feel OK if I'm sleeping in the T@B, but I worry in the 'burbs.  Too many smash and grabs in the 'burbs.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I would have helped that light get thrown, Gnomies! I might have made a ceremony out of it. Depending on the locale, it might have ended up incinerated with the help of some accelerants. LOL. Ah, the wonderful world of chemistry! (Microbiology is just biochemistry in action). :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    I would have helped that light get thrown, Gnomies! I might have made a ceremony out of it. Depending on the locale, it might have ended up incinerated with the help of some accelerants. LOL. Ah, the wonderful world of chemistry! (Microbiology is just biochemistry in action). :)
    But it was "under" my teardrop pointed at the woods...low level technology ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Ratkity said:
    But it was "under" my teardrop pointed at the woods...low level technology ;)
    I think they call those "lights" fireflies, V. :wink: 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,445
    Ratkity said:
    Yikes. You're right--it is the mad scientists we need to be scared of!!!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Only been scared once, and for good reason....wolverine in my camp. Sleeping in a bed roll when I was a lot younger in the mountains in Montana. 'Ya really think that light would have helped? :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Only to find you and have a nibble from a juicy thigh, @ericnliz! Sorta like the lights on a buffet! 
  • Options
    ericnliz said:
    Only been scared once, and for good reason....wolverine in my camp. Sleeping in a bed roll when I was a lot younger in the mountains in Montana. 'Ya really think that light would have helped? :o
    I've never seen a wolverine, hope to never see one!  They're bad enough on the basketball floor ;). (That's for Michigan Mike!)

Allegedly, raccoons will not cross a light. Many of us who had brave raccoons laid rope lights, LED lights or Christmas lights on the ground and kept them lit all night. I was washing dishes outside, heard something, turned around to three of those bandits less than 3 ft from me!  I threw my arms up in the air, yelled and growled and they ran away from the crazy lady!  

I've been frightened only once by a two legged creature. After telling him no three times that I was not taking him to the next town (56 miles round trip), he sort of got the idea he was not getting a ride from me. After he walked away, I lost track of him, couldn't see where he went, so I packed up and left. I gave him no opportunity to come back later for whatever evil he was up to. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    You're probably on to something with the raccoons. Several years ago we were tent camping, sitting by the fire, and heard rustling in the bushes. When we shone our flashlights out there we could see at least a dozen raccoons, but when the light hit them they would scuttle back into the weeds. They would inch closer when we turned the lights off. You haven't camped until your campsite was surrounded by a couple dozen glowing eyes.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have been, remarkable, not afraid. Last night was the spookiesy, so far, but that was only due to dead silence (No breeze) and a cloud covered sky made everything pitch black. It was just a little eerie with no birds or crickets chirping.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yeah, that would make me worry about the weather.
  • Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    At Goose Island State Park on the Texas coast, there was once a sign at the office that read, "Man has not invented an ice chest our raccoons cannot get into."
    2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Move that sign to the entrance of all the major National Parks on the left side of the Mississippi and replace "raccoons" with "bears" and that would still apply. I still remember the "Wall of Shame" at the ranger's station in Wyoming (can't rem where perxactly) that had pictures of all the destroyed property in the campground where people didn't heed the bear warning signs and use the food lockers provided. That was in the summer of 1986. I can't imagine what the wall looks like today!
  • Options
    Jenn - Was camped outside Lone Pine, CA and it was so dark it was like stepping into an inkwell. Weird/spooky. Finally got some moon so less disconcerting.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    And keeping the horses at Assateague out of your campsite is a whole nuther challenge... Nearly ripped my screen room open.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    And keeping the horses at Assateague out of your campsite is a whole nuther challenge... Nearly ripped my screen room open.
    But I still want to go there!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Was boondocking and a bunch of horses showed up - The older gray mare liked her neck/main petted and would use her hip to nudge the back of the T@B to get me to come out and pet her. Luckily she quit about 11pm or had not gotten any sleep.
  • Options
    The horses also have figured out how to turn the water faucets on... just not off. The park rangers are constantly turning them off. Most annoying is when they stand in the road not letting you leave! LOL
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Tent camped with someone who had a motion sensor light. Every time their rain fly fluttered....it was lights on. He threw it into a tree.

I'd do the same...or drop kick it into the nearest lake! :lol:
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Rustle... Rustle....   Skunks!!!!!!!! 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI