Options

Drivers side seat fan/heater

2»

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Sending good vibes @bpbrans4 as he travels!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    bpbrans4bpbrans4 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the vibes!! Dropped off "absolutely t@babulous" for a new converter. Thanks for helping direct me to the problem, it did check out as over charging up to 18.4+. We should be on the road by late next week. They had to order the converter. Battery could be ok, they'll check it and call me. Cheers! Bob
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Bob, so glad you did take the time to stop. Don't forget to get a good battery, too. Good luck!

My sister had to sit in a motel in Canada for 10 days waiting on a new transmission for her RV. She's on her way now and is anxious to finally get to Alaska. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    bpbrans4bpbrans4 Member Posts: 15
    V, it's an adventure! Plus it's nice to rely on this forum to gather knowledge, plans, and hopefully connect. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    bpbrans4 said:
    V, it's an adventure! Plus it's nice to rely on this forum to gather knowledge, plans, and hopefully connect. 
    We'll help you learn, Bob, so you can feel more confident about what is what and what causes what. Sit down and read some. It's amazing how much knowledge we all share with each other. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @bpbrans4, omg 18.4+v? wow. Glad you are getting it fixed and will be on your way soon! Safe travels!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,485
    Yikes--you could cook your steak with that!  Glad you got it diagnosed, and hopefully your battery will have survived the attack.

On a related note, does anyone know from experience if excessive voltage from a spazzed-out converter will be indicated by a plug-in voltmeter? Based on my casual observations and the way things appear to be wired up, I assume "yes."

If I'm correct about this, a battery monitor is also a good way to monitor your converter while plugged into shore power.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    It would need to be capable of displaying up to 24 volts in this case. I wouldn't assume a plug in monitor would, unless specified.

I checked the specs for the See Level monitors thar come on the new T@Bs and the maximum input voltage is 16v. Hopefully there is over voltage protection for situations like this.

A basic multimeter would certainly work.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,485
    Good point. It looks like the capacity of my plug-in meter is 16 volts. However, since the converter tops out at 14.4 volts in bulk mode--and normally operates at 13.6 volts--the meter would likely provide a first indication of an overcharge situation.

Don't know about the effect of over-charging on the electronic gizmos. I don't have the monitors, but even if I did, I probably wouldn't lose much sleep over it. Rogue converters don't seem to be a real common issue.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Fuses would blow before the overcharging would affect electronics. The victim would be the battery itself. Low voltage will mess with electronics, however (e.g. overloaded electric with crowded campgrounds will show an electric drop as all the AC compressors start up in the heat of the day). I would expect the battery would act as a buffer to prevent low voltage situations, but I'm not well-versed in this aspect of 12v nuances.