Options

Out with the CoolCat, In with the Frigidaire 6K Btu Window A/C

I remember a thread where someone else used a muffin fan to accomplish what I'm about to describe. 

What I have to work with:
There's a bunch of extra space around the new A/C unit - it's about two inches shorter, several inches shallower, and about 3 inches narrower than the CoolCat. I've got some woodworking to do, and I can insulate the top, bottom and sides as long as said insulation is forward of the intake vents. I'll probably just use some short pieces of Unistrut under the unit to get it level and lined up with the opening into the cabin of the trailer. Unistrut, by the way, is metal channel electricians use to route wire. It's strong, already has holes for bolts, and could be well described as the basis of an adult erector set. :-)

I've ordered a 14 inch diameter 90W 12VDC fan on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TI08WNA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) as well as a thermostat with a probe (so I can monitor the temperature at the back of the A/C but mount the gauge where I can see it, probably over the A/C unit).  The thermostat can be set to start the fan at a temperature of my choosing. 

Here's what I plan to do. The fan will sit just behind the grill on the side of the T@b, and I will use it to suck air out the back of the A/C unit. I'll fabricate a shroud for the fan so that it pulls air through the back of the A/C, with the air flowing from outside through the space outside the fan shroud and in through the vents on the sides of the unit. This should work as long as I seal up the shroud to the back of the unit's side panels so that the airflow is as described, and it does not just flow in the edges and back out again at the fan. When completed, it'll look sorta like the cooling fan and its shroud on a car.

Am I on track? 

JAckPack. 2016 Taco Pulling a 2012 MaxxQ.

Comments