Options

cold weather camping

How do you keep tanks and pipes from freezing

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    You keep them winterized until you get to warmer weather. Do a search on winter camping and you'll see how many of us camp in cooler weather. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    SonnySonny Member Posts: 13
    Believe it or not.  Some of us like to camp in cool and cold weather.  So again I will ask if any T@B owners have any pointers as to keeping tanks and pipes from freezing. Insulation or tank heaters installed?
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Most winterize the water system and carry what water they need seperately. The Alde heat half of the system works just fine year around. As I recall someone did experiment with tank heaters but can't remember if it worked or not.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I'll ask a friend what she does. She lives in WI and has an A-liner and frequently snow camps. I know it's a different camper setup, but pipes are pipes on little campers.

I personally have self-adhesive wrap-around pipe insulation on all reachable water lines on my camper underneath. Keep in mind, my trailer is an early 2015 model and the bottom is NOT enclosed. All pipes are exposed as well as tanks. If I were to end up doing any extended cold weather camping, I'd probably skirt the bottom and have a small ceramic heater underneath. That assumes I have shore power or could run the generator continuously.

Without shore power, you could try a "little buddy" type propane heater, but I'd make sure the CO detector was in full working order even though just putting a light skirt in the lower keder rails all the way around the camper would probably have plenty of ventilation for any CO off-gassing from the heater.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I winterize and simply don't use the water systems in cold weather (I have camped in the T@B in the snow).  Carry water with me internally instead.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I winter camp but also with terize and carry water, as well. CW carries tank and hose heaters.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014