Options

Loose USB charging station wire

My USB plugs aren't working so I took off the plate and discovered the red wire is loose (at least I think so because when I wiggle it a certain way, it works). Pulling down the exposed wires I see these blue connectors. Googled those and believe they're Scotchloks. Anyone familiar with these on how to open them? I can flip open that one part but not the entire connector. An online video shows how to put the wires in and use a tool to connect/crimp them but if the connection isn't right, I need to open it and perhaps even get another connector. I emailed Elsie/Ed but haven't heard back yet (I know they were closed this past week). Any electricians out there?
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    There's a metal piece inside that keeps the wires in place inside about in the middle. The lock that wraps around it is just a cover. When installing them, a person uses a pair of pliers to push that slotted metal piece into both wires (the one you are tapping into and the one you are adding). Taking one of these connectors apart is a major pain. It's best to use a new one to replace it once you take it off.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Ratkity said:
    There's a metal piece inside that keeps the wires in place inside about in the middle. The lock that wraps around it is just a cover. When installing them, a person uses a pair of pliers to push that slotted metal piece into both wires (the one you are tapping into and the one you are adding). Taking one of these connectors apart is a major pain. It's best to use a new one to replace it once you take it off.
    "Major pain" - great.....do I pry apart the connector to lift the metal piece out? I'll have to go get some new ones at the hardware store. From the videos, one would think the connection would be really secure but guess it's not the case when they put this together. Thanks.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Go to an auto parts store to get replacements, Michele, Auto Zone is where I picked up a package. I did have one that was impossible to close, and the next one was like turning a page. I couldn't see any logical reason for the stubborn one...being stubborn ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If there is extra red wire you could just cut it off close to the crimp and reattach it with a new crimp rather than trying to remove the old crimp.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    One wire is the pass-thru that's being tapped into by the red. While you could snip the clip out, it be better if you can remove it, get a new clip and redo.
    I removed one a long time ago but can't recall how I did it - needle nose pliers maybe.
  • Options
    Okay,,,will try to gently pry it open (finally found one video that addressed it) to raise the metal piece. Then I can put a new one on (says the person who knows nothing about it - but is learning)!  I tried Ace but will try Auto Zone next. If not the Ace folks told me of an electrical store near here (I'm in Portland for about a month visiting my son/family and getting some things fixed on the T@B).  Do I assume that Verna and PXL had to do this for the same reason? Did the person putting these in just move too quickly and didn't take the time to be sure of a secure install?

Oh, that reminds me. PXL - one of the things to be done is the installation of the sagging window shade frame clip. Right now I have authorization to have the local dealer do it. If it was the passenger side window, I'd probably try but it's the driver's side and that wood valence is so low I do not see how a clip could be installed without taking the wood valence off. I believe you put your clip on your front window - correct? Wonder if anyone has done this on the passenger window and if so, how the heck did you do it?

Thanks -

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    No, @mickietucs, nothing was wrong with my T@B's craftsmanship. I added a battery monitor and USB ports and spliced into the wiring. The new splice did not work, so I tossed it and installed another new one for my wiring. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    For the record, they are called to taps or s0lice connectors, in case you need to ask for them.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    It may help to take a pic of the connectors on your phone. If a shop has them they will likely recognize them.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I had to use them to install the fridge vent fan - I got them at a home depot, lowes or hardware store, can't recall which. The one I had to remove wasn't on the T@B.
    It was someone else that installed that window frame clip - I need to get one and do the front but haven't gotten to it yet.
  • Options
    Finally found an auto parts store that had them. Completed the replacement and USB plugs working again!  Next up (some day) - the sagging window shade. May just wait until I'm back in AZ and have my dealer do it.