Options

Seems Like Refrigeration and AC Issues are Wide Spread

Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
I'm ordering my unit on Monday. I've been looking over the forum gathering great ideas. One concern I'm beginning to ponder is there  apears to be numerous Norcold  and window air unit issues. Seems like many feel the AC air is not cold enough in the Summertime heat ( I like it very cold when I sleep) and the refrigerator doesn't cool/work as it should each time it's used. I'm not going to be happy changing fuses etc and dealing with issues on a new unit. I'm trying to rationalize if the issues are 10 in 1000 or 10 in 20 as the Internet can make small issues look widespread. Way to many RV that are manufactured today have low build quality-basically  junk. The reason I'm ordering a T@B verses one of the others is for the high quality and expected units service longevity. I'm  beginning to wonder if the "good forture" with high sales the company is experiencing is causing QC or parts issues with units. Your thoughts? 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Betting 10 in 5000 - The forums are where one brings their problems. That's what we're here for, to help. Most T@B owners don't even know about or come to the forums.

I couldn't be happier...
    In 21 months I've only changed fuses when I had a short in the TV that also blew them downline in the T@B. ... AC could be colder - like you, I like cold - but has been adequate. ... Campers, no matter the brand, are not meant for the extremes like MN winters or FL summers. ... Have had some flakyness with the fridge but not a biggy, self corrects - For me anyway.

If you visit the forums for other brands you'll find the same. They are the places to learn and get help if you need it.
  • Options
    Thanks PXLated, I've read a lot of your post and based on my readings your a knowledgable T@B owner and I respect your answer. I was thinking(hoping)  the issues were more related to a small population of units. 
  • Options
    The forum is also a place where if something does seem to be an issue for many, not an isolated few, the moderators can alert the factory. For example, the aux fridge fan/vent is a result of that feedback/alert loop.
  • Options
    Great forum for sure, I've been reading and learning daily. I'm ordering an Outback unit on Monday. I've been in and out of 15 different units and the Outback is  the family preference. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Overall, I think my Outback is well designed and built.  Here are a few points and comments to consider:

There is no traditional "owner's manual" and dealer delivery instruction and subsequent purchase support can be, well, underwhelming.  This creates a huge amount of questions on the forum.

The A/C - It's 106 right now in Phoenix.  100 in my TAB.  Turned on the A/C to "7" on Low Cool.  Within five minutes the air temperature out of the vents went from 100 to 62.  That is plenty cold for me.

The 3 Way Norcold - Absolutely hated that thing until I changed the cooling fans.  VERY quite now.  It took me awhile to figure out the propane starting procedure for my particular unit.  Starts on the first attempt every time now.  Has worked well up to 7,350 foot elevation for me.

The Alde - Takes some time to learn its ins and outs, but a very quiet and reliable system up to about 7,000 feet elevation.  Anything higher, and some of use experience a loud humming noise from the propane flex vent hose vibrating on the solid exhaust pipe within.  This design flaw should have been corrected by Alde and/or Little Guy. Many of us have attempted to mitigate the noise by propping up the flex pipe at the point of contact.

Fuses - Several are "hidden" (battery box, behind the television, in the Jensen center, etc.) an/or unusual and costly (one of the 3 Norcold fuses is $19).  This creates a lot of discussion.

Conclusion - Had I known about the Alde noise at higher elevations, I would not have bought the Outback.  Hopefully Alde or the factory will devise a fix in the near future.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Great write up. Thanks for you insights. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have used the T@b in different regions of the country try and have no issues with the a/c as long as I keep the T@b level. Outback is right about having to depend on the forum vs. a manual or dealer. I have been hearing a new manual is coming since I bought my T@b three summers, ago. However, the company does keep this forum running and you can get quite a bit of support, here.

The fridge has a mixes reputation, and not just among T@b owners. When it works, it rocks. You can run on LP for 3 weeks and it is as silent the as the grave. When it doesn't work, it can be very frustrating.

LG/PV seem to work very hard to minimize the things that frustrate owners in terms of design and are even quicker to correct a customer problem. For example, recently, they have implemented a battery monitor, tank monitors, and a battery cut off switch. They added exhaust fans to help both the a/c and fridge perform better. I can confidently say that if your new T@b somehow fails to meet your expectations, they will make it right for you.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @OutbackAZ, the Alde is in all T@Bs. I guess you could've ordered one without the Alde system, but I'm not sure where you'd put the standard 6 gal hot water tank and furnance that you find in smaller campers. I'm sure some engineer could have come up with something. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Ratkity - My complaint is that no one informed me that the Alde would not work properly at higher altitudes.  This after I spent a considerable amount of time with my dealer discussing camping at such altitudes.  Furthermore, Alde did not respond to my email informing them of the problem.  I believe another forum member experienced a similar response from them.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    OutbackAZ - Betting the dealer didn't know much about the Alde, mine sure wouldn't have and it is a unique thing in the camper world. I might think different but I rarely expect much from manufacturers :-)
    Curious - The fridge has a high-altitude kit for propane. Do other camper furnaces ave this? Do other heating systems in fact work better?
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    My A/C is working adequately but I'm planning something proactive to vent it better should I really test it. This weekend I'll be in a predicted heat wave index over 100 degrees. Hope I get an under the tree site at the CG I'm heading for in So. Illinois..I wonder if just a kedar rail attached shade over the back would help if the A/C  back is in the sun?.. 
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    I'm sitting wide open to the southern sun at my brother's with high heat and humidity. Have a hookup here so running the air and it's doing fine. That said, I wish it had a few more BTUs as I have to leave it on high. Also have the fridge exhaust fan on continuous to keep the counter from adding heat.
    Last year had 107 degrees but tree shade and ran the AC off the generator and it did fine also. It did cool down to something reasonable at night so could shut down the gen.
  • Options
    SubismSubism Member Posts: 38
    I have not had issues with the a/c in the Southern heat and humidity beyond initially cooling the trailer if it has been sitting in full sun; however, it is a very small unit that does not draw many amps, even on start-up, so this is to be expected.
    As for the 3-way fridge, I know others that have this unit in other RVs and conversions and all the reviews are mixed. I have not had any issues with mine, but I haven't had to run off propane yet. Heading out for 3 weeks in MT soon and will see how it performs.
    Marc and Angie in Burlington, NC. 2018 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 320 S Max
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I ran my 3-way fridge on propane for most of 3 months of camping in the Southwest last winter, and it performed wonderfully. I needed to start it in the driveway a few weeks ago due to an extension cord problem, and I was at least 2" off-level front to back and side to side. It did take 51 seconds to light, but it worked admirably for a couple of days until I could purchase a new extension cord (never did like that cord anyway!).
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    If I get a generator what is the reasonable min power output I could get to run the A/C ? I've heard that the "2000" models are sufficient for our small T@B A/C units. I was looking at one with 2200 start watts/1800 running watts.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2016

@KyBawpaw, there've been a few threads talking about this...
    Here's a Google search of the forum that shows some discussions about the AC and a generator. Here: site:tab-rv.vanillaforums.com ac generator 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TerryBrownTerryBrown Member Posts: 1
    Consulting an experts like from heating Middlesex county NJ would be the best option as they are experienced in dealing with such issues.