Options

Has anyone used this dual hitch with a Yakima bike rack?

CURT 45810 Ball Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AT8HVC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_CEVGxb77C2E6K

I'm looking to use my 2 bike rack and tow a T@B using this setup. Reading about dual hitches I have concerns with other hitches that require longer chains and decrease tow capacity. Main concern with the setup is the distance between the traile hitch and where the bike rack connects. 

I should add that I do not yet own a T@B but am test/ renting one next month as a trial.

Great  forum here, btw, tons of helpful information.

Comments

• Options
    Mike_in_AtlantaMike_in_Atlanta Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2016
    Yes, I use one and works great for the bike rack I already owned though I have a Little Guy not a T@B. The only problem I have is the bottom of my rack extends over the hitch release lever so that i can only hitch/unhitch when the trailer is at an angle to the left unless I remove the rack.  BTW - I got my ball mount at my local Harbor Freight store.

mike
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    I bought a similar system recently but have not used yet. It clamps on the hitch, and appears to keep the bikes closer to the vehicle. See here. (I also recently wrapped three bikes in a motorcycle cover and carried in the trailer. Worked like a charm, but not eager to repeat frequently).
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    Completely off-topic, but what's the doo-dad sticking up from the front of the LG Rascal?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    kevincc4kevincc4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Dareco...a picture is worth a thousand words!
  • Options
    Mike_in_AtlantaMike_in_Atlanta Member Posts: 17
    If you mean that white thing on top, it is a home made roof rack installed by the original owner. There is another just like it on the back.

mike
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    edited July 2016
    Yes, we use it too. The jack had to be moved back, we had that done at the Hitch House in Atlanta (it seems you are in Atlanta too  :))

2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    Dereco, we tried the Curt clamp-on bike rack and ended up returning it. It is very small and had a difficult time getting two adult mtn bikes on the rack and the rubber straps are very small and difficult to use. Finally got the bikes mounted, and 10 miles down the road, discovered that the location of the bike wheel was just in front of the car exhaust and it had burned a hole through the bike tire. Turned around, headed home and off loaded the bikes. Still working on plan B.
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    BTW, we have a nice Thule bike rack but it didn't work with the Curt duel hitch. It wouldn't clear the bumper on our Santa Fe. We are now trying a longer duel hitch we got at Harbor Freight. Will post pics when we get it mounted.
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    The option I went with is the Swagman Towing Bike rack.  I had to get an extended draw bar as you need about 4" of space to fit it, but it works well and is not as long as the duel hitch adapter.

I did the entire setup for just over $100.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    BTW, towed it across the country with no issues.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Keep in mind extensions to your hitch will drop your tow rating by at least 1000 lbs (so says online manufacturers). I have an extra long hitch that drops my max tow rating by 1000 lbs (16" from ball to pin so I can open my tailgate without hitting the jack). Not a big deal since I can tow 7000 lbs. Just an FYI. YMMV sort of thing!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)