Options

Fridge- Norcold 3-way Model 3163-Works in DC/AC but no green lite or propane function

Hi folks,

Primarily like to use the Fridge in  boondock travel without electric access. Wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts that might help me trouble shoot this. Just returned from Tearstock where service guys were able to take a cursory look but were overloaded with mods and routine service work to take it far, so no progress, sadly. Here is the story:

2013 Q-Max, have put about 11,000 miles on the T@B over the last 5 months, and have gotten quite comfortable with the start process, the fantastic reliability of using my Norcold on propane, knowing that it takes a level platform to start, and gas in the tank, which seems to last forever.....

On day 14 of a recent 14 day trip (thankfully), I went to do my usual start up of the propane function after a few hours drive, parked level, fully charged battery, and plenty of gas,  continuing to supply the stove.  When I attempted to do the start of the propane fridge mode, the usual reliable green lite did not appear, and I was unable therefore to turn on the fridge in propane mode.  I can hear the ignitor clicking from the outside, and I was able to test that the fridge will put a load on electric in DC and works fine in AC mode, subsequently used several days in that mode without a problem.  

Unable to find any popped fuses in the converter box
Accessed the three fuses on top of the fridge from the side vent, and do not see a defect there.

(While I was at Tearstock, was able to have the service guys take a cursory look, had them put in the needed vent fan while I was there, but they  did not have the time to do an extended troubleshoot on my problem.  I assume I am out of Norcold warranty  at this point.)

Functionally it seems to me that there is something about the delivery of gas/spark that is not happening to allow the propane mod; Is there anything I am missing? I am probably not comfortable going further being the covers of the fridge unless there was something fairly obvious and easy to go after. I really hate to give up the notion that I can boondock for weeks on propane. 

I am assuming this leads me to search for an Norcold authorized servicer to continue the trouble-shooting in Syracuse, NY area.  

Thanks for any suggestions.  Dave

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    There was a thread where someone was having this type of problem and they discovered that something had come loose in the ignitor, thermocoupler area/thingy. Can't recall the actual details though. They found it by taking the stovetop off (not totally removing, just unscrewing and sliding out of the way). If you can find that thread it might be helpful - or even better, maybe that person will jump in here.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I had a loose thermocouple connector underneath the stove top, on top of the fridge . When it loosened up the fridge would not stay lit in propane mode. I Tightened it a couple of times and it would loosen up each time, do to vibration I imagine. I finally secured it with Loctite, and it has been fine since then. 

However it sounds like your situation is different from mine, because my green light would go on when I pressed the button, and stay on until I let go of the button.

It sounds like your gas is not flowing to the fridge.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Do thermocouples go bad?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Yeah, they go bad, but the only ones that I've known that went bad were 10 years old or more.

I bought a spare replacement thermocouple, but sent it back when I figured out it was just a loose connection.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    There are some notes in the service manual about checking the thermocouple's connections, and checking to make sure it is clean. Those seem relatively safe to check. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    One thing I was told when using the Norcold on propane is to run the gas in the stove, fire it up and let the stove run for a bit so that you get all the air out of the line before firing up the Norcold.  They did that down in Ohio when I picked up my trailer and the Norcold fired right up after this procedure was initiated.  Could be that you have air in the line and the propane needs to get up to the igniter.  

I did find a video about the Thermocouple and there is a way to check it out,   Hope that helps!

https://youtu.be/suen7QlJl4o?t=111
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,472
    I have a similar problem with my 3-way Norcold that may be related to Dave's issue. On two of my three recent trips, I had a difficult time starting the fridge on propane. On these occasions, the fridge would light briefly--sometimes with an audible "pop"--and then go right out again while I was still holding the red button. This might happen a few times, and then it wouldn't light at all. The solution was to curse and walk away for an hour or so. Upon returning to try again, the fridge lit without incident and ran fine for the remainder of the trip.

In all cases the methodology was the same: the fridge was pre-chilled on AC, packed with cold food and ice, and not run on DC en route. It was level, I ran the gas to the stove first, and the igniter was clicking normally.

My only thought was that something needed to "settle down" after being bounced down the road, but that's a pretty weak guess. Additional ideas or insights are welcome!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    My fridge seems to start better on propane when the temperature dial is at the "6" o'clock position.  Might be worth a try.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I use covers on the combustion exhaust/intake ports (the two round plastic things on the front of the Tab), when not using the fridge, to keep out curious or homeless insects.

If I forget to remove the covers before trying to light the fridge, it will behave as you've described. 

So maybe you have some kind of blockage in the intake/exhaust ports.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DaveincazDaveincaz Member Posts: 14
    ChanW,

What kind of covers do you use on the exhaust ports?  I am suspect that you are on to something; the only environmental thing that was different that day, I was parked next to a barn with barn materials abundant makes me suspicious for insects....Have decided to go to a certified Norcold repair place next week; I think I have hit my limit...
  • Options
    We have mud-dauber wasps here, so I'm overly cautious. And the Asian lady beetles are awful in the spring and fall.

I cut the bottoms off two 1gal maple syrup jugs, drilled a little hole in each, and screw them into the 'port'. I always make sure to remove the covers when travelling. I don't think they'd stay in place.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    EricMuenchEricMuench Member Posts: 9
    Had the same problem with my 2013. I took it in to a local RV dealer who discovered a loose connection at the thermo coupler. Works fine now.
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    I'll chime in here, too… On my Nor-Cold, I suspected a bad thermocouple, as it worked fine in AC or DC, but wouldn't "stay" lit on propane. Green light would come on, flame was definitely visible, but it would go out immediately after letting the button go.

So I replaced the thermocouple, being careful to place it exactly as it had been, and the same thing happened. I'll point out that the original owner had never used fridge on propane.

Took it to a camper repair shop, and they told me the only problem was that the thermocouple was not fully seated into its receptacle. Has worked fine since. Sounds like it may have been that way since day one, but was never discovered until I tried to use it.

On the vent cover (Chan, I love your idea!), I took that apart last year to clean & inspect it, and found two small paper wasp nests in there. Probably didn't completely block it, but certainly didn't help, either. Another thing to check for!
  • Options
    OK, the "Chan Fix" is done! On mine (5" dia.), a half-gallon syrup jug seemed to be the right size. Just in time, too… had a bee buzzing around all the time while I was installing it; pretty sure it was about to move right in!

Again, great idea, Chan- thanks!

• Options
    Course, MY jug was better… genuine NH syrup, not that NY stuff!   :)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    You two need a ref - I'm a good syrup taster/judge - If each of you would send me a gallon I'll let you know my decision :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    irvingj said:
    Course, MY jug was better… genuine NH syrup, not that NY stuff!   :)
    Um, no way. If we all meet up somewhere we'll have to bring our local produce and have a taste-off. Any Vermonters here?
  • Options
    And then we have to expect the Canadian contingent.  I hear their national security is dependent on their Maple Syrup stash. B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Oh, I'd forgotten about the Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist of 2012 from their Global Strategic MAple Syrup Reserve (I am not making that up).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-01-02/the-great-canadian-maple-syrup-heist
  • Options
    Vermont did it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Now I know why I come to this forum every morning… Great entertainment!   =)