Options

Hailmaggedon 2016

Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
Well, I just picked up my brand new 2017 Outback last Wednesday...and the worst hail storm to hit Colorado Springs in decade hit my beautiful trailer on Thursday night!!!  Poor Bessie...at a whopping 30 hours old...looks like a golf ball with two broken windows!  Does anyone know if they will able to repair the extensive denting all over the top without tearing poor Bessie to pieces to do it or if they can just ship another 'skin' to have installed by the local dealer?  Of course, I've spent the last week personalizing my girl and don't really want to have her completely replaced if possible.
Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2016
    Wow - So Sad :-(
    Will be interested in the answer to your questions. Betting you might have to call the factory but do check with your dealer. I know my dealer could never have tackled it.
    Have outrun a couple big hail storms - Always worrisome
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    well that sucks :( Will your insurance cover it?

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    What Tommy said, totally sucks.  I suspect it would be covered, I hope.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    So so sorry.
    I've always assumed it would happen to us. But it's been over a year for us, with only close calls.
    Think if it ever does happen it'll be a quick settlement with the insurance company  and start over again. It's only a trailer.

• Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    That said, I'm not sure if there's an alternative to the T@B , more hail resistant. Still like T@B a lot.
    How big was the hail and did it damage the plastic trim too? 
    We're going to be in the Black Hills, S.D. this weekend and it always hails when we're there.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Sorry to hear about your mishap. I was in a hail storm last trip out, but to no degree the size and intensity of your ordeal. Hope you can get the damage resolved quickly! good luck.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    The hail was racket ball sized...did a lot of damage to everything in it's path.  The trailer is covered by insurance, but I'm hoping the windows, couple plastic parts and 'skin' can be shipped to my local dealer and replaced.  It also broke the little gadget on the bottom of the door that holds it open and the plastic corner trim on the front/back of the passenger side. 
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Sorry to hear tgat, lost a brand new car that way once.  I wouldn't be surprised if they totalled it. Pics if it's not too painful.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    That's crazy.  I picked up my new Outback the same day you did, but I live about an hour west of Colorado Springs and the storm didn't come my way...
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I am so sorry. It must give you a pit in your stomach. Let's hope the insurance company can resolve this quickly for you!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited August 2016
    It's a little difficult to see all the dents on the top, but you can see the broken window.  The dents are all over the entire top of the camper.  Oddly, the entire side has no dents or anything from the hail...that's some tough material!!

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209

Them be some dents - some heavy hits.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited August 2016
    Ouch.  Hope your jeep was someplace safe!
    The top skin is easily dented, I found out putting stuff on the cargo rack.  But I'm sure that hail would've dented any sheetmetal.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    It was like being bombarded by tiny cannon balls for 45 minutes!!  Fortunately, there are only dents.  Nothing went thru the metal.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Metal is interesting in that it wants to go back to its original shape. Your insurance may suggest you take it to a body shop to do dentless repair. They lightly heat the area and apply appropriate suction and the dent disappears. This is not really a DIY project as the camper has a gel coat and that has to be taken into consideration and it's aluminum. Of course, the window will need to be replaced. You can see youtube videos on the procedure, but don't try it yourself. I'm afraid warranty only covers manufacturer's defects and not Mother Nature (or wayward truck that throw rocks).

I'm very sorry your baby got hit so hard!! Mine got into one bad storm and there's one tiny dent that's on top that you can see if you look for it. Its silver color hides a myriad of defects.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Fortunately, the insurance had just kicked in.  My neighbor owns an auto body shop.  He's going to repair the Jeep and truck, so I'll have him take care of the camper as well.  I'll let the dealer install the windows.  The front window took a hit as well...

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Glad it sounds like everything will work out in the end.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Smullis7, Glad to hear your insurance is taking care of it for you! After looking at the pictures....WOW!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf