Options

Bikers and Pseudo-Bikers (Posers)

Comments

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    edited August 2016
    Yes, those are the "words" used to describe Harley's sound, and that's a very good approximation. I was only trying to illustrate the difference in timing of the cylinder explosions. But you're absolutely right, that's very much what they sound like… but listen to the words as you say them: hear the pause between firings? (Hint: the aspirated "P" sound)
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    First bike was '47 Indian Chief purchased out of a guy's garage in '67 for $600. Rode with the Philly/Jersey Warlocks who are now defunct. Sold the Chief to pay for college. Rice burners since then. Nothing in the barn now and probably nothing down the road, but I sure appreciate a well built ride. Thanks for the string!
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I heard the 80's were bad times for Harley due to management and bad marketing decisions. I don't know all the details, but even diehard HD folks shudder when they talk about the 80's and errors made by the Higher Ups. 

HD recently stopped making Buells (400cc). These are frequently used in motorcycle safety classes because they are tough little bikes - dropped constantly at low speeds and very forgiving. Not sure how long parts are going to be made.

The history of motorcycles, in general, is fascinating. One of my safety class instructors rode a fully dressed Beemer year-round. Tough lady and great bike. The first bike I fell in love with was a little 250cc Honda. Sounded like a lawn mower LOL. 

I had no less then 3 guys stop me at one local gas station on my latest bike and tell me stories of all the different bikes they owned. It was one of the greatest gasoline stops I've made. Motorcycle zombies!! All sweet people. They even had picts on their phones of their old bikes. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Vintage Bike Races in Sturgis yesterday.
    Grudge race between a 73 and an 85 year old. The 85 year old won. Why don't they grow up?
    Here's the definition of real bikers.

• Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67

With all this talk about bikes, I want to put in a good word for the Harley Davidson museum in Milwaukee. It is a great place to visit!  Definitely something to do if you are in the area. They have a great interactive area where you can listen to different bikes (ala Road Kings, Softails, Sportsters, etc) and then you have to indicate which is which.

2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    On a similar note, the H-D factory tour in York, PA is top notch.

And, when you roll up on your Honda and announce you don't own a Harley, they even have a smart answer at the ready... "Yet."
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2016
    Bad biker day -> I'm absolutely amazed there aren't more dead bikers. Had them passing within a foot or so of my drivers side mirror and cutting in so tight they'd almost take my bumper off. If I had made one little move, splat, it'd be all over. And this wasn't just a few, this was over 50% for two hours.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    In the Rochester area we had 3 fatal motorcycle accidents in a 24 hour period last weekend. Please be careful.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    "I heard the 80's were bad times for Harley" 

Yep-- that was when AMF/Voit owned them. Keep in mind, AMF was a big sports-stuff manufacturer (think bowling) and Voit was essentially a rubber company (think swim fins & basketballs). Not much in common with motorcycles.

The bikes were so bad back then that even the cheap plastic "AMF" stickers on them were never straight… but then, they'd fall off within a year or so, so perhaps it didn't matter….   All in all, a great example of American business in action: "Let's merge! Screw the quality, we want PROFITS!"

Indeed, a sad time for Harley-Davidson and an embarrassment for American manufacturing in general. In my opinion, of course. ("Don't get me started!")
  • Options
    @sabel, GREAT PICT! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    PIXLated, bad bikers give us all a bad name. We're not all like that. I've had idiots do the same to me, guess because I ride a Wing or I'm not doing 20 over the speed limit. They're showing off their "superior" intellect. Wish they would all kill themselves, but they'd only take some innocent guy or family with them.
  • Options
    Been looking for a new TV for the T@B.  Think this would work?
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Got a seven pin connector? :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    Heading that way on Sunday. Hope the posers and the real deal bikers have gone home. When I go for a bike ride, It's pedal powered and much quieter. Reservation at Custer SP and then Spearfish City Park.
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Are you riding the Mickelson Trail?  It is on our list of things to do.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    @sable, I've seen that front wheel (26"?) put on bikes that made the entire thing almost 12' long with the rake. A bear to turn!  How'd you fair with all the storms that passed through? I was thinking of you when I saw the weather map the other day. Guess it was a day to stay inside and watch the R-rated contests lol!
  • Options
    Sorry, Ratkity, I missed your question. Bike had about 9,000 miles on it when I got it about 12 years ago (IIRC). It's a Canadian bike, so of course it's in km. Currently has just under 48,00km, or about 30,000 miles. Still a nice road bike, very smooth.
  • Options
    @irvingj, sounds gently ridden and cared for!
  • Options
    We got back home Tuesday night. Yesterday's storms were all west of us. 
  • Options
    @sabel, good to hear! Weather map looked scary. I think of where all our forum people are when I look at the weather map now and wish safe travels!
  • Options
    Accidentally put on wrong thread.... yes, yes I do have lots of these type photos Muhahahahahaa.......

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Daddy is always right!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    *Snort* They threw a slide rule at me too!

• Options
    Lots of bad bikers in Yellowstone :-(
  • Options
    Of course, lots of bad drivers in Yellowstone also :-(
  • Options
    I also saw lots of bad parenting in Yellowstone a long while back. No, it's not nice to leave "snacks" out for the cute little bears. Ugh!
  • Options
    Couldn't resist this one! Especially since my new bike has a larger engine and a very touchy throttle...

• Options
    I love it!!

(Happened to me once --quite by accident-- on a 1966 Suzuki X-6 Hustler, only in first gear. A german Shepherd was just about to take a bite out of my ankle. The face I made was probably similar, but without a trace of happiness….)
  • Options
    I need to take a picture like this when my teardrop camping group descends on one of the private properties of a member vs the forts we used to make as kids!!!

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    PXLated said:

Seems there are two types of bikers - the hard core, they ride to Sturgis (real, wind-burned bikers) and pseudo bikers, wimps that trailer their bikes to a comfortable motel (not a chapped lip in sight).
    Of course once there they all put on their leathers and try to look like the former :-)
    A little late in, but the way I look at things, so long as you are doing no harm to anyone, whatever floats your boat.

To bring it back around a little bit, same goes for the folks with giant class-A's, Provosts, massive 5th wheels with multiple telescoping slides (yes, they exist).  If they are happy, if it works for them, then more power to them.

There it is, the telescoping slide.  Would have liked to see how this looks from the inside.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA