Options

Stabilizer Loose

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
I recently sprayed my rear stabilizer with WD-40 to clean it, and now it slowly start to fall down while driving. Has anyone had this happen? Does it just require tightening?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Never had that issue, often I have trouble getting it started when trying to put it down.  Are you giving it a good tightening when you put it up?

Also, for lubrication, I would recommend a white lithium grease, regular WD-40 is made for indoor use and will wash away in the rain.  WD-40 actually makes a spray on white lithium grease that I have found works well.  Use it on the BAL as well.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Cyclonic said:
    Never had that issue, often I have trouble getting it started when trying to put it down.  Are you giving it a good tightening when you put it up?

Also, for lubrication, I would recommend a white lithium grease, regular WD-40 is made for indoor use and will wash away in the rain.  WD-40 actually makes a spray on white lithium grease that I have found works well.  Use it on the BAL as well.

I was looking more to clean the unit and WD-40 is good for cleaning. I also carry white lithium grease to lubricate. I did not lubricate because it did not seem to need it. Maybe the answer is just a little spray with the garden hose.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Cyclonic said:
    ...  Use it on the BAL as well.
    I think this is good advice because I believe the screw mechanism on the BAL is cast aluminum, which will wear more easily than steel.  Lubrication should mean less wear.

Have not yet had a problem with the stabilizer coming down, maybe because I do not keep it as clean and lubed as well as I should.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    I put a lot of effort into cleaning and lubricating the BAL this summer as it was exposed to dirt all of the time.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I quit lubing the stabilizers - just collects more dirt. Instead, I get under and hit them with a good wash and wire brush when needed.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I wrenched one of ours last year and had to replace it...piece of cake (4 nuts) with a an identical standard BAL stabilizer from our RV store.  They come in pairs, so I have an extra...let me know if you want me to price out mailing it to you.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...