Options

2nd Lost License Plate - How to secure the license plate?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
I lost my license plate, at some point on the return trip home...no doubt, it is on the side of the road on I-80 somewhere between Ogallala and Cleveland. This is the second time I have lost a license plate. The little holders are completely gone. Has anyone figured out a better way to secure the plate?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Are the holders in plastic or do they actually go into metal? If metal, a little blue loctite. If plastic into plastic, a dab of silicone adhesive (shoe goo?) will work.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Hmmmmm - Better check mine.
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Are the holders in plastic or do they actually go into metal? If metal, a little blue loctite. If plastic into plastic, a dab of silicone adhesive (shoe goo?) will work.

No, just plastic. Good idea. Maybe KRAG or Gorilla Glue?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Thread adhesive because it will break free after a certain amount of force.  You may need to change tags some day.  The brackets themselves is another story.  Attach it permanently.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    jkjenn said:
    Ratkity said:

No, just plastic. Good idea. Maybe KRAG or Gorilla Glue?
    Gorilla glue is water activated and expands. I'd recommend a latex or silicone adhesive. Stays until you want to peel it off with a sharp knife. I found out that half my molding on my T@B is held on by the stuff (as well as the tail lights) and a few well-placed screws. You should see the stuff under the handle moldings.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jcfaber1 said:
    The brackets themselves is another story.  Attach it permanently.
    Not sure what you mean? The brackets or plate?

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Maybe attached the bracket with screws and the screw has some epoxy on it.  Once hardened, it will give more holding power.  Use blue thread adhesive on the screws that hold the tag to the bracket.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I lost two plates last year on my Dutchmen Clam. I bought a license plate holder and screwed it directly into my hatch. It's not going anywhere.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/License-Plate-Mount-Tag-Holder-Bracket-6-Secure-Screws-Wrench-Kit-for-BMW-/291329495381?hash=item43d4975155:g:hJoAAOSwc1FXYHu4&vxp=mtr
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Most likely you lost it in Indiana.  Coming thru there to Tearstock, there were many times I wondered how the trailer was still attached to the hitch.  Even had U-Haul examine the hitch to make sure nothing broke/cracked and all the bolts were still there and tight.  Sorry Verna, I know you have nothing to do with the road conditions.  
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Allie said:
    Most likely you lost it in Indiana.  Coming thru there to Tearstock, there were many times I wondered how the trailer was still attached to the hitch.  Even had U-Haul examine the hitch to make sure nothing broke/cracked and all the bolts were still there and tight.  Sorry Verna, I know you have nothing to do with the road conditions.  

I actually thought about you as I traversed I-80. I didn't find it all that bad. Granted, the roads in the west were much better, but by snow belt standards, they were not that bad. I was thinking more likely Iowa or Nebraska.

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Jenn - I used a few pieces of the Command picture Velcro stuff in addition to the two top screws. So far they have seemed to help  - one of the top screws worked itself out of the hole and I've had to reinstall it. But the plate stayed on.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Meant to say 4 pieces (top and bottom).
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    The belt and suspenders  approach could also be useful.  I would put double stick carpet tape on the back of the plate also.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Good ideas! I stumbled across 3M Outdoor mouthing tape this year which was pretty amazing stuff, too.

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    Jenn was your original one plastic? My 2016 plate mount is thin steel. The reason I ask is will mine fall off? Thanks Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    gulfarea said:
    Jenn was your original one plastic? My 2016 plate mount is thin steel. The reason I ask is will mine fall off? Thanks Art

I honestly don't recall.