Options

Thoughts after our first trip to Sebago Lake in Maine

Thanks for all of your help with my question about the battery life. We were able to get 3 full days dry camping without bringing the battery below 12.4V. We booked this stay months ago under the impression we'd be tent camping, so I got a site without hook-ups. Dry camping was fine, though now my husband can't wait to try camping with use of all the features. 

A little about us: we live outside of Boston, work in technology, and are avid travelers. We've often thought about buying a vacation home, but hate the idea of going to the same place all of the time. The T@B is perfect because now we can move about, but easily get away often on weekends -- and more reliably bring the dog, too! I also currently have a fantasy of doing a year in the T@B visiting the lower 48 (and ending in Seattle to take a cruise to Alaska!) But, we'll take it one step at a time. ;)

A few thoughts after the first trip:

* Wow. The T@B is so easy to move. We have had a super easy time hitching, towing, and moving the T@B around. I was a bit worried about driving with a trailer attached (I'm the main driver), but, aside from getting used to not being able to speed in the left lane, it was very easy to maneuver. The worst part of the drive has been on bumpy back roads where the T@B wobbles a lot and makes a lot of noise. It's just a little scary, but something I am sure I will get used to.

* The clamshell is my favorite thing. That little kitchen is just so perfect. Plenty of storage for my stuff. It was great being able to cook outside and still socialize with everyone else at camp. At night it made a fantastic place for a bar set-up. :)

* We were kind of stressed about all of the internal systems -- we have never RVed before, so it seemed like the learning curve was so steep. But, being able to read all of these forums and then finally get out on the road with it, made it pretty easy. Just playing with the features made us more confident and we figured things out well (though we still are worried about figuring out the hot water system since we aren't on Alde!) You all were right -- getting out and trying it out was the best way to learn!

* The cushions on the seating areas/bed are not...great. The padding is too squishy and it kind of felt like we were just sleeping on the table/slats. I will need to figure out an upgrade there -- currently thinking of getting some memory foam custom cut or something. Anyone else upgrade these?

* That bathroom is very tiny, but was definitely awesome for late nights. I think I will still probably tend toward finding another bathroom when possible, but also happy to it's there. 

Here are some photos!

Live. Travel. Eat. Repeat. 
2013 Orange & Grey T@B CS-S: Villa Ar@ncia
Follow my travels on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cookwithkerrydotcom/

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Glad you had a good time and all went well...

Bumpy back roads - Yep, the T@B bounces a little - You'll get used to the hitch squeeks.
    Soft cushions - I hought mine were too soft so replaced the foam. Heard they've changed the foam they use at some point this last year.
    About the only thing - T@B system wise - you can't play with dry camping is the air conditioner.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    You look like happy campers!! Best type of campers there are :) Only advice, slow it down to a crawl on bumpy roads. Think of what an earthquake does in a short period of time. A 3.0 one (or more) is what the items inside your T@B are doing on a regular road - for hours. A poorly paved, bumpy road earthquake rating is higher and can even open cabinets (please be careful of overhead bins as items tend to shift during travel *best airplane stewardess voice*). 

More picts of your extensive travels!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    Bathroom - Tiny but functional. I am a pretty big guy and I can use the toilet and the shower.  Yes it is a snug fit but I find that as long as I do everything I need to do while sitting down there is not a problem.  If we are in a campground with facilities we will always use that first, it is more comfortable and conserves our limited tank capacity.  As you pointed out, the bathroom is extremely convenient in the middle of the night.  The shower is great when camping where there are no facilities or where the campground has inadequate hot water or long lines.

How was Sebago Lake?  It is high on my places to go next.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    As a microbiologist, I'm always concerned with foot fungal infections in community showers (always wore water shoes). I love my T@B shower!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Now we know how Ratkitty spends her time - looking at foot fungus thru a microscope :-)
  • Options
    fuzzypinkbunnyfuzzypinkbunny Member Posts: 24
    @PXLated We were being really stingy with the electricity because we were worried about the battery getting too low without a way to re-charge. If we were dry camping for a day or two though, it seems like we don't have to be sooooo stingy. :) Now we know!

@lapowers57 Sebago Lake was pretty awesome. The beaches were beautiful and water was warm by this time in the summer. We stayed at the state park. Bathrooms and showers were nice; there was even a dish washing station which was great. I'd recommend spot 128 there (with hook-ups) for a sweet beachside property -- or 206 (without hook-ups) which is also very close to the beach and it's more secluded! Only sadness was that we couldn't bring the dog so he had to stay with the grandparents. 

@Ratkity We definitely used and will use shower shoes! We also have an outside shower hook-up, so that could be nice as well!
    Live. Travel. Eat. Repeat. 
    2013 Orange & Grey T@B CS-S: Villa Ar@ncia
    Follow my travels on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cookwithkerrydotcom/
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Now we know how Ratkitty spends her time - looking at foot fungus thru a microscope :-)
    I do *other* things!! Like try to create new germophobes by describing all the microbes living amongst us. Give me enough time and I'll have you ordering biohazard suits from Amazon. :lol: