Options

First Walmart stay-think battery will be ok with just running fridge on propane?

I'm at a Walmart and didn't want to haul out my solar panel. Want to keep food cold so turned on propane and started the fridge. With a Group 29 battery do you think it'll be okay for 1 night? Right now indicator says 12.52. I'm worried (don't want to run it if it pushes it to 50%).  Maybe I should leave it off and put a cold pack or 2 in the fridge. Thanks!
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    You should be fine based on my boondocking experiences.  the frig uses very little battery power while on propane (just the propane igniter and small computer fan).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I'm at a Walmart and didn't want to haul out my solar panel. Want to keep food cold so turned on propane and started the fridge. With a Group 29 battery do you think it'll be okay for 1 night? Right now indicator says 12.52. I'm worried (don't want to run it if it pushes it to 50%).  Maybe I should leave it off and put a cold pack or 2 in the fridge. Thanks!
    You should be fine. If it makes you feel better, you could turn it off.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Thanks. I'll see how it is right before bedtime and if it's dropped I may turn it off for the night. IF I can sleep. I called and they said I can stay but the Allstays app reviews said police may stop by. I'm more anxious abt it than I probably should. 
    On another note does anyone know if there are parking areas along Hwy 1 west of Santa Barbara? My reservation at Refugio has a ck in time of 2:00 and I'm supposed to leave Walmart in the morning. I've seen plenty of rvs parked along coast hwy near Oceanside and hoped there's such a thing I can do tomorrow in this area. 

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    Just a reminder to unhook the electric cord from the camper to the tow vehicle just in case something goes rogue and depletes both batteries.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    edited September 2016
    my process when staying at Walmarts is to run the fridge on 12 volt while driving and then disconnect from the TV and switch to propane for the night.  My last night out was so cool we even ran the Alde for part of the night.  I am running on a large group 24 battery but also have a large enough alternator to power the fridge while we are on the road.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    Yep, I got in the habit of unhooking 7pin when I stop at any place where I'll be gone for a bit. Hope I can sleep. Not used to this type of environment. But at least I can pick up Walmart's free wifi out here!

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Out of curiosity, are there any other campers or semis in the lot?
  • Options
    There was one and a larger one went by (didn't see if it was staying). I'm now inside with lights off. Saw a few semis on the side (deliveries?). I called and lady said it was ok as long as I left in the morning. That's why I asked abt parking along beach between here and the state park I have a reservation at tomorrow. It's only 35 miles away so I need to kill time before ck in. Both holidays now I messed up by not making reservations - learned my lesson!  Didn't see any BLM spots on app and even county parks were full. 

• Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    Refugio is my favorite campground!!! Stayed there many times. I'll be there again in November. Was there last month. Anyhoo, have you thought about heading inland to Solvang? Quaint Danish village. Bakeries and restaurants are great. Wineries too. It's about 15 miles from Refugio and is a fun little tourist stop. Worth the short drive. Refugio is also pretty lenient about letting people in early. There's also overflow parking and if the people in your site haven't left yet, you can park and wait there. Awesome campground. Steps from the beach. Enjoy
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    I do the same Michele - Forget about holidays ... Every day's a holiday in my book :-)
    Have had rain three out of the last four days and supposed to continue for a couple more so decided if I'm going to lay up it might be on water - got to a reservoir with a bunch of COEs forgetting about the holiday. Everything filled. As I was going to head out, he mentioned he had one non- electric site if I could use that...perfect. He said that by tomorrow afternoon the place will be virtually empty and I'll have my pic of the place.
    Dang holidays :-)
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Ditto comment about Solvang- Used to live in Monterey, and each trip down to Van Nuys to see sister, we'd stop in Solvang. Good eats there, too! (And if you'r into airplanes, Vandenburg is in that area as well…)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I typically run the fridge on LP, the fan and lights as needed, will shower (pump), and turn on the TV for news and weather at a Walmart. I would love to have it cold enough to turn on the heat.  =)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PXL - you lucked out the place had a site for you. I'm just not into driving around to multiple places only to be turned away. If there are many grouped together then that's doable but seems so many are way out of general direction and I'd be spending more on gas. You must have super luck in getting spaces!

Tabster and Irving-looks like Solvang is pretty darn close so that sounds like fun. Thanks!  Can either go today or shoot up there after Refugio. Good to know Refugio has an overflow lot so I could get in early while waiting for my space to clear. I'm also going to El Capitain and Malibu Creek. 

• Options
    Michele -I'd rather be lucky than good :-)
    There's 13 COEs and two SPs on this resevoir plus two Munis within a reasonable distance. 3-4 of the COEs are primitive/dispersed so I knew I'd find something. One of the reasons I headed to this area. Since I have no itinerary, don't mind a little scenic drive. Forecast was rain all night and today so the weekenders are leaving. Already have my choice of 40 sites and it isn't even noon yet :-)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, You're probably the most adventurous one here, as long as the Lego blocks work, you're there! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Probably not the most adventurous - I go in cycles but I rarely worry about finding a place to lay up. Helps being pretty self sufficient with both solar and generator.
    Not so lucky today - awoke to a flat T@B tire - On second thought, yes, I am lucky, it went flat in a campground and not out on the highway. Awaiting a AAA guy to show to change. Why do it yourself in the rain when help is just a call away :-)
    Note-1: Did you know that if you have the AAA app you can scedule the whole thing right thru the app - guess if you have location services enabled it pinpoints your location automatically.
    Note-2: If it's raining and your generator dies (surges and dies like it's out of gas), loosen the cap. The water vapor is screwing up the vent in the cap. No way to blow it out that I saw.

• Options
    PXL, Sorry to hear about your flat, but like you said, could have been worse, and on the highway, or a way out-of the-way back road! Can't say about the generator, don't use one. Have you tied to put a baggie over the cap to keep the moisture out? Try to dry it out with paper towels, or at least soak up some of the moisture. Good luck, and hope everything works out ok for 'ya!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I get the gen out so rarely - especially in rain - that I have only had this happen a couple of times. Only had it out to charge up the computer - T@B didn't need it.
  • Options
    PXL,   =)
    Spokane, Wa.