Options

Beware black tank chemicals!

I had a free bottle of black tank treatment, that my dealer gave me, tip over on the counter in the T@b today. The top was not leak proof. It was the biggest eye and breathing irritant I have come across since I accidently discharged bear spray in my face. I will stick with Happy Campers (organic) after that incident! Since it was a hot day, and the T@b had been closed up, I think it was particularly potent.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Yuck
    And it took me a bit to figure out what the irritant  was and where it was coming from.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Aunt SueAunt Sue Member Posts: 15
    @jkjenn do you know if we can replace the toilet with Nature's Head Compost? thanks!
  • Options
    Aunt Sue said:
    @jkjenn do you know if we can replace the toilet with Nature's Head Compost? thanks!
    You'd have to check the dimmer signs, but I would imagine you could if it would fit.

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Uh… "dimmer signs" would be "dimensions"?   (Is this a case of spell-check strikes again, maybe?)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    When I first picked up my T@B, there was this horrid odor after it was closed up after the 1.5 hr drive home. I opened windows, sprayed air freshener, etc. It made my eyes water unless I aired out the camper before going inside for mods and trying to figure out storage (this was before my first trip). 

Found out it was the toilet deodorizer! I had no clue. Now I use the pods (can't rem the name), but that "free" bottle of blue stuff was the culprit. It went bye-bye. Our campers are way too small to handle such a strong chemical. Even the pods that are made for 40gal black tanks don't have that much irritant in them (the ones I've tried - I do a sniff test before I buy the pods due to allergies to many fragrances). 

Jenn, glad you found the irritant. Did it do anything to the counter?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited September 2016
    I, too, didn't like the smell of the liquid. I love those packets!  Just don't get the inside of the bag of packets wet!  The packet dissolve quickly. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited September 2016
    If you put a little water in the toilet (with dump slider closed), you also have a barrier to any smells escaping - kind of like a trap.
    Also, make sure your sink and shower traps haven't dryed out and have water in them or you can get oder from the gray water tank.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, Ditto on the sink & shower drains, had that happen to us, and poured water down both to alleviate the problem. Good tip on the toilet, thanks. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Had my shower trap dry out when I was staying at relatives. Took me a long time to figure out what the problem was - finally dawned on me. Then two weeks later my brother had the same problem. Told him to pour some water down his shower drain and I'd bet it'd go away. Never did tell him how I knew that :-)
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I keep a little water in the toilet tank also...but learned yesterday that if you speed out of the national forest for a pet emergency...that water will bounce out of there all over your only roll of toilet paper.  :-)  On the plus side, I did see how much of a beating the Outback can take and not damage a thing.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    For years we have only used liquid or dry laundry detergent usually scented along with a cap full of Calgon liquid water softener. The Calgon creates a slippery surface on the inside of the tank which helps prevent solids from sticking. It works the way soft water makes your skin slick. Every so often after dumping I add a couple of gallons of water and a cup of bleach for the trip home. This method was once called the Eco method. It's cheep easy and no harsh chemical smell. We never have any lingering odor problems.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I used pods and Happy Campers this summer. Both of them were great. I was out of pods and the Happy Campers was packed away do I thought I would try the free bottle. Wowzers. Never, again. I like to do an ocassional good backflush of the black tank, too. I think that is by far the most effective way to keep everything smelling rosy.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I learned my lesson on the black tank in the T@B this summer after giving it the "ultimate test" down at the rally.  After dumping the tank at Atwood I used up my last little bottle of Walmart liquid toilet chemical, drove home and parked the T@B until the next trip.  And the next trip out Linda and I headed up into Northern Michigan for a few days in the heat of the summer.  All it took was one flush after sitting a month and it about blew us out of the park the odor was so strong! :s:o  

I've since reverted back to my proven method of using the dry chemical powder packets as that kills any odor and eliminates the invisible bombs after the trailer sits for an extended period of time....  I also cleaned the black water tank diligently by spraying a garden hose with the jet setting into the tank for a long time and dumped it again just to be sure things were in order.  

Live and learn for sure!   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Hey Jenn...Happy Camper: $17 for a small jar, or $50K for the whole company!
    https://www.5starhappycamper.com

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Hey Jenn...Happy Camper: $17 for a small jar, or $50K for the whole company!
    https://www.5starhappycamper.com
    That's an interesting way to try to sell the company.