Options

Pet Owners Beware of Pot in the National Forests

Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
edited July 2018 in Camping & Travel
We had a really great campsite in Pike National Forest near Rampart Reservoir in Colorado. My little girl, Dakota, ate some form of marijuana. I did not see her do it, so I don't know how much or what form (vet thinks it was likely an edible), but she quickly went downhill getting so bad as to not be able to use her back legs and being incontinent!! I rushed her to a vet, where she tested positive for THC. Little did I know that illegal marijuana grows are a big problem in the national forests nor that pot heads like to hang out along the trails in the national forest and drop their stuff! Before anyone gets offended, I'm sure legal medical MJ users would not be out running around the national forest dropping their meds, and I do believe MJ has valid medical uses for both humans and dogs. This issue has become bad enough that the vet receptionist recognized the symptoms immediately! She was put on IV fluids to help speed the stuff thru her system. On a positive note, the cabinets in the back of M@bel, my 2017 Outback, make a good holder for the IV bag. She's doing better today, but still moving slowly and having trouble jumping up and down from things. I wanted to make everyone aware that, at least in Colorado, this is an issue for pet owners. It cut a impromptu overnighter short and put my sweet girl in danger!!

Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thanks, Sheila. I hope you don't mind, but I took a screenshot of you FB post and sent it in an email to my family, camping friends and dog owner friends. It is certainly not uncommon in the state forests to stumble upon growths of MJ while hunting (and back slowly away from any of the meth cookers you should find!), but I sure never thought of our four- legged friends as being at risk. 

Thank you for giving us a heads up. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    No problem, Verna.  Share away.  I'm posting about Dakota's progress on the Mullis Pups Facebook page, if you want to see more on her symptoms and such.

M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Northern CA, southern OR forrests are notorious for pot.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Here in UT backwoods there are many pot growers who have been uncovered by campers.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    It's everywhere - Had a farmer friend discover small plots hidden in his corn field.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited September 2016
    My brother and I were warned by a mushroom hunter to NOT go to a specific area of the State Forest. We did, and still do, stay away from there. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Glad Dakota is feeling better!
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I'm hoping your pup is well on the road to recovery. That you went to a vet and they immediately recognized the symptoms is a blessing. There are many risks in the woods to our little furkids. Everyone and their furkids keep yourselves safe!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks, Ratkity.  She finally started acting like her normal self early this morning...so it took nearly 2 days for her to recover from it.  It just saddens me that this is a problem in the first place.  I had someone post to the Mullis Pups FB page that there is a trail in Manitou Springs where dogs are testing positive for meth! 

• Options
    Do dogs learn their lesson?
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    PXLated said:
    Do dogs learn their lesson?
    When Max was a puppy, one of the dog training books I read said that a dog will only connect a consequence with an action if the consequence comes immediately. It's why it's counterproductive to discipline a dog if you come home and he's peed on the floor. If Dakota ate the pot and it tasted really nasty she would have made that connection.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Smullis7, First of all, we are glad your dog is doing much better! I guess from following this thread, I am a bit confused. I your initial post, you said she tested positive for THC [pot], and in your final one you said you had someone post on your Mullis Pups page that there is a trail in Manitou Springs that dogs are testing positive for meth. Either way is not good, but could you please clarify which occurred please. Thanks.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Both.  My dog tested positive for THC.  I posted about it on my dog's FB fan page to let others know of the issue.  One fan commented that, in addition to the issue of dog's running across pot, there is a trail in Manitou Springs where some dogs have eaten something that caused them to test positive for meth.  Two different drugs...same issue for dogs.

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Smullis7, Thanks for the clarification, you cleared up the facts for us. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    JustjudyJustjudy Member Posts: 75
    Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your poor dog. It is wonderful and alarming at the same time that the vet knew what to test for so quickly. I would NEVER have thought about this without your post. I'm so glad she is recovering well. Best wishes...and thanks.
    Larry and Judy. 2015 T@B S M@xx. Silver with black trim. Bell@. Towed by a 2005 Toyota Tacoma.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Horrible. Glad your dog will be OK. I will definitely be on the look out for it in the future.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014