Options

The front wheel and my dumb move

For some reason the mechanics of putting the wheel on/off has me stumped. 99% of the time I use a foot. When I got to my son's house we wanted to push the trailer up into his driveway. I was able to put the wheel on while it was still hitched to the TV, then unhitched and we pushed it up into the driveway. But then I wanted to take the wheel off because with it on, the trailer wasn't level (had to come lower in the front) and put the foot on...well, yes, you can guess, we cranked it up to get the wheel out and of course nothing was holding the front end up and wham - it hit kind of hard...for now we cranked it up but neither the foot or wheel is on. So my question is, is the only time one can put the wheel on/off, is if it's hitched because nothing is holding up the front - correct? Boy did I feel like a dummy and hope it didn't damage anything.
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    edited September 2016
    Or, put a block of wood (2x4) or bumper jack to hold up the tongue while you change it.

Be sure it is steadied so as not to fall on you.  Might also chock the wheels.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I would stick with changing it while hitched. Help me understand the reason why you would need to switch to the foot?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    jkjenn said:
    I would stick with changing it while hitched. Help me understand the reason why you would need to switch to the foot?
    I've found a few places I can't get the front end low enough with the wheel on so I almost exclusively use the foot.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options

RZRBUG said:
    Or, put a block of wood (2x4) or bumper jack to hold up the tongue while you change it.

Be sure it is steadied so as not to fall on you.  Might also chock the wheels.
    Ah, yes,,,those are great ideas (will have to get a piece to keep in the truck for such occasions.  Thanks.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    I've found a few places I can't get the front end low enough with the wheel on so I almost exclusively use the foot.

Makes sense, thanks. I have nio had that problem, yet.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Like I keep saying - Blocks :-)
    You can put some under the TV wheels and raise the tongue.

See :-)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, Pure genius I say, pure genius! I just lift the front a little, and Liz switches from the wheel to the foot. Haven't dropped it.... yet. ;)  You might be convincing me to become a brother "blockhead". ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Slowly but surely you'll see the wisdom of my ways and become blockheads - It's a slow learning process I know but it's inevitable :-)
  • Options
    Does that mean :o I have to join "Blockheads Unanimous"?
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    No, that's a different outfit.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    For some reason the mechanics of putting the wheel on/off has me stumped. 99% of the time I use a foot.  So my question is, is the only time one can put the wheel on/off, is if it's hitched because nothing is holding up the front - correct? Boy did I feel like a dummy and hope it didn't damage anything.
    When my trailer is unhooked from the TV and I need to get the foot off off the trailer and the jockey wheel back on I use my 3 ton floor jack and lift the front of the trailer up, remove the foot and install the wheel.  

Image result for 3 ton orange floor jack from Sams Club
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Ya, I've got one of those in the back of my Jeep right next to my drill press :-)
  • Options
    razntwnrazntwn Member Posts: 26
    When I have to switch tongue foot when unhitched I stabilize the trailer and then raise the tongue for quick swap.  Basically I have the stabilizers holding the tongue from falling down; as suggested I chock the wheels as part of the stabilizing process.
  • Options
    Curious - Why a foot and not just the wheel?
  • Options
    razntwnrazntwn Member Posts: 26
    For me just habit and my driveway has a big slope so I use at the campgrounds too unless I expect to move t@b.  Foot or 2x4 but carry wheel in trailer too.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Has anyone used the Fastwat Flip Jack?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3nSzA2T7YW0
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    My brother had one - hung too low - bent it all up on a gas station entrance.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Thanks. Seems like a good thing that isn't T@B friendly.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Curious - Why a foot and not just the wheel?
    In some places the front end has to go lower than the wheel will allow - I can bring the tongue a lot lower with just the foot.

• Options
    Lesson learned and I will see about either a floor jack or if it's to bulky to carry in my truck (already have lots of "stuff" I carry), will at the very least remember about a brief "swap" using the stabilizers or a block of wood. Thanks all!

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,464
    I doubt you've damaged anything. I experience the same problem getting the tongue low enough on uneven ground, so I routinely use my jack without the wheel or a foot, just sitting on a piece of wood. I've also dragged it on pavement a time or two--it's pretty rugged.

I'm confused, though... How did you manage to get the wheel off in the first place, if the trailer wasn't attached to your TV? If it wasn't sitting on the wheel, something had to be holding up the tongue.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Michele, you can also use one of your stabilizer pads under your jack tube rather than putting it on the concrete or ground if you don't have your foot or wheel on. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    I doubt you've damaged anything. I experience the same problem getting the tongue low enough on uneven ground, so I routinely use my jack without the wheel or a foot, just sitting on a piece of wood. I've also dragged it on pavement a time or two--it's pretty rugged.

I'm confused, though... How did you manage to get the wheel off in the first place, if the trailer wasn't attached to your TV? If it wasn't sitting on the wheel, something had to be holding up the tongue. 

As my son was cranking the tube it moved out of the wheel and I pulled the wheel out - that's when it fell so the wheel was holding it up. 

• Options
    For some reason the mechanics of putting the wheel on/off has me stumped. 99% of the time I use a foot.  So my question is, is the only time one can put the wheel on/off, is if it's hitched because nothing is holding up the front - correct? Boy did I feel like a dummy and hope it didn't damage anything.
    When my trailer is unhooked from the TV and I need to get the foot off off the trailer and the jockey wheel back on I use my 3 ton floor jack and lift the front of the trailer up, remove the foot and install the wheel.  

Anything else that might be less expensive? I just looked these up - wonder if something else can be used - ???

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    You could probably use your TV's jack... 
    Glad it didn't land on your hand!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Michele
    From Blockhead International Headquarters... Here's how I do it...

Figure out what I need, lay down the blocks, get it all done in one shot.

In this case I needed to raise the drivers side of the T@B (a lot) and raise the tongue to get the wheel on so blocks under the TV. Back onto the blocks, put the wheel on, jack up, unhitch, drive ahead and lower the jack. I just leave the TV blocks there for when I need to get the wheel of.
    I do have the JAck-E-Up so I do have a little more vert adjustment than fixed but this would work for a fixed jack also.
  • Options

Anything else that might be less expensive? I just looked these up - wonder if something else can be used - ???

You can usually find them on CL a lot cheaper.

• Options
    Blockhead International Headquarters, 'Ya need some tires on your TV there mister, they're gettin' pretty thin! [just sayin'] ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Ya - I'm 250 miles from picking them up - Still not quite to the wear bars though but uneven wear on back two - The fronts are better :-)
  • Options
    Just concerned, two flats would NOT be a good thing! :o
    Spokane, Wa.