Options

Hello from Vancouver Island

SnapDogSnapDog Member Posts: 53

We’re very happy to have found this forum with all of its great information, interesting people and unending humour. I've been lurking for a while and always get a chuckle.

At last we’ve have decided the T@B Max-S is the right trailer for us. Now we have to decide on a colour (the truck is green but it’s old …). Then we have to order it. And then we wait. It will likely arrive in the middle of winter which means learning to tow in grey skies and rain. I’m sure it will amuse the neighbours but they already think we’re a bit odd, so that’s okay.

Love all the trailer and camp set-up photos and looking forward to when we can share a few of our own. 

Sn@pDog, 2017 Outback, Silver w/black trim

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Welcome aboard - Feel free to ask any pre-order questions you might have.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    SnapDog,Like PXL says, ask away, and don't be shy, as I don't think there are ANY shy folks here! Welcome, and happy T@Bbing!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    Welcome aboard! Based on recent activity it seems to be raining Tabs in the west lately :)

• Options
    Tommy, and SnapDog, the more westerners, the better! Keep 'em coming, and maybe, just MAYBE, nuCampRv will expand to the West Coast! Of course, a road trip is NEVER out of the question either!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Welcome!!! Odd is our middle name (no, I'm not plural.... you know who you are!) :lol: Can't wait until your new T@B arrives!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Thanks everyone! This is such a great resource. I realized after reading a battery thread that we could as our dealer for a larger battery, and based on one of Verna’s favourite modification, we have asked about the Outback axle and wheels for a Max-S. Seems like that’s possible. Now if we could only decide on a colour! 

• Options
    Jenn's the Outback axel mod gal :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn's the Outback axel mod gal :-)
    Oops! Sorry Jenn!!
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    SnapDog said:

Thanks everyone! This is such a great resource. I realized after reading a battery thread that we could as our dealer for a larger battery, and based on one of Verna’s favourite modification, we have asked about the Outback axle and wheels for a Max-S. Seems like that’s possible. Now if we could only decide on a colour! 

You can also get the larger propane cover (which will hold a group 27 battery) and platform (which you can mount a couple storage bins on) that's standard on the Outback. We also ordered ours with a Maxxair Maxxfan Deluxe which is awesome, although I remember reading somewhere that the factory won't do that upgrade any more.

We haven't yet found a use for the outdoor shower option and I wouldn't order it if I were doing it over.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    SnapDog said:

Thanks everyone! This is such a great resource. I realized after reading a battery thread that we could as our dealer for a larger battery...

Welcome SnapDog. You can shoehorn a larger battery box into the standard plastic tub, but it requires a bit of modification to the existing battery bracket that a dealer may or may not be willing to take on.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Photomom said: the larger propane cover (which will hold a group 27 battery) and platform (which you can mount a couple storage bins on) that's standard on the Outback. We also ordered ours with a Maxxair Maxxfan Deluxe which is awesome, although I remember reading somewhere that the factory won't do that upgrade any more.

We haven't yet found a use for the outdoor shower option and I wouldn't order it if I were doing it over.
    Hmm, we did ask if we could get the larger platform and the Outback axle and wheels. I'll ask if that means it comes with a larger propane cover. I don't think we're getting the outdoor shower but I'll ask about that as well. I can't imagine using it either. 
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I believe the platform and diamond plate Outback propane cover are two separate items.

A group 27 battery fits the Outback propane cover with tons of space to spare.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Standard dealer installed battery seems to be the HD24-DP. I just replaced mine with the SRM-24 and there seems to be a big difference in everyday use. I wasn't in a position to make the mods required for the 27 while on the road so the SRM-24 had the same dimensions. A Group 27 doesn't really gain that much for the mods required. Or am I reading everything wrong?

• Options
    PXL, Thanks for the chart! I think I will go with the SRM-24 as well when I need to upgrade as I really don't think with the solar panels I will have a need for the group 27. Not really enough gain for that particular modification for us. Is this an Interstate chart? Just curious because I have an Interstate dealer close by I can deal with directly rather than having to pay the additional mark up at the RV dealership.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ericnliz - Yep, Interstate.
  • Options
    PXL, B) Thanks our Happy wanderer!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Our Outback has arrived!

Our dealer was kind enough to deliver it to our house and it's been sitting in the driveway for a while now, plugged in using the adapter you all recommended. Amazing, the battery is at 13.2amps and hasn't changed for over a month. We've had some pretty lousy weather this spring so it's still winterized. I can take it to the dealer to de-winterize, but I'm hoping I can do it myself. 

So far the hounds approve. Can't wait to go camping! 

• Options
    Snap{og, To get a true reading on the battery, you'll need to un-plug, let it sit for a while and check again. You're seeing the charge rate from the inverter right now at 13.2 I'm pretty sure. That being said, congrats, time to do some driveway camping to familiarize yourself to everything.  ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    Love the dog!   I have a whippet also
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Sn@pdog congratulations! I'm a bit jealous that you got yours delivered, though. :-) We all love pics, the more the better. Your pup is adorable! If you ever head south of the border and east let us know as we have an active group going in the Spokane area. We plan to camp once a month together starting in April till we can't anymore in the fall.  There's owners in the Seattle area, too, that are starting to organize trips together. That would be closer for you. Did you order the outside shower?
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    tabascotabasco Member Posts: 23
    Hi SnapDog, congratulations, hope you enjoy yours as much as we do. We are one of two T@Bs in Sidney that we know of plus some more around the Island
    so you will see us around during the summer for sure! Where is your home base?
    Cheers, Jen and Bern in T@Basco.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Welcome SnapDog!  Vancouver island was one of the first places we camped after buying ours back in early 2014.  Nothing like a beautiful deep dark forest to soothe the soul. :)

I hope the (ridiculous) ferry fees for trailers don't hold you back any ! ;)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Thanks everybody!

ericnliz - thanks! I'll unplug and try again. Seems obvious now that you've mentioned it that the reading never changed.

rolltide82 - got a pic? Do you take your whippet camping? We have two of them and are not sure if both will fit on the bed a night. I'm thinking maybe a cave bed in the bath for one. 

Homebodyatheart - We would love to head south, spend a few months exploring your beautiful country. The desert in particular is a big item on the list. Hmm, I wonder if trailers are allowed on the ferry out of Victoria .

tabasco- we're in Ladysmith - haven't seen any other Tabs around here though. We were thinking of heading to the Living Forest for our first trip. Have you everyone there? 

• Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    I haven't picked up my camper yet...Few more days.  I have one whippet....It will pretty much be his bed....He just shares it.. lol. Amazing to be so small but yet he takes up our king size bed at home...He usually sleeps on his back with legs in the air so shouldn't be a problem...Not sure about 2 however.  I haven't figured out a picture in this forum yet
  • Options
    tabascotabasco Member Posts: 23
    Hi SnapDog, yes Blackball ferry goes from Vic. to Port Angles, we have us ed it but it is very expensive! Even worse at the moment with the exchange rate as it is,
    It is cheaper by far to go B.C. ferry to Tsawwassen then Peace Arch and down the I.5. The big problem with either ferry is the standard car rate is for the first 20ft.
    then about 6$ per ft. after that! That works out to 195$ Canadian one way on blackball for our 30ft. overall length! Yes we have been to Living Forest,  beautiful if you like lots of trees and shade. You might also consider the meeting at Port Townsend in Sept. at Fort Worden State Park. Looks like lots of T@Bs attending, we are hoping to go too.If you want to try a night dry camping the provincial park campground on the Cowichan river is close to you as well and very nice. Want to meet up 
    sometime?
    Cheers Jen and Bern.