Options

We have a Zamp 20 watt panel. Can we chain two Goal Zero panels to the Zamp?

Seeing to see if I can chain all three panels together to max my energy. Since they're from different manufacturers, I wanna make sure. 
Can I connect all three?
What adapter(s) would I need?
Any help would be great. 
Sun Valley Idaho living, 2 restaurants, 2 labs, 1 helluva wife! 2016 T@B Max-S Outback towed by. 2007 Toyota FJ Crusier

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Which 2 panels? Is the 20w panel a solar trickle charger? what kind of solar controller are you using?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RlethbriRlethbri Member Posts: 38
    We have a 20 watt Zamp we plug into the T@B (so, I guess a trickle charger). I also have 2 Goal Zero 30 Boulders that I'd like to connect to the Zamp. 
    Sun Valley Idaho living, 2 restaurants, 2 labs, 1 helluva wife! 2016 T@B Max-S Outback towed by. 2007 Toyota FJ Crusier
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited September 2016
    You can't mix and match the Zamp 20w maintainer with the GZ panels. You can daisy chain the GZ panels, but you need a solar controller. GZ makes a Guardian solar controller that fits their proprietary cables. You can either use the alligator clips that come with the Guardian and connect them directly to the battery or you can create your own cable that goes from the Guardian to the Zamp connector. If you call GZ customer service, they might even make you a cable, just ask for a cable that goes from the Guardian to a 2 pin port (also called SAE.) One note, the wires from the Zamp port are reversed in polarity, so you will want to let GZ know that or just swap the positive and negative wires on the  battery from the Zamp yourself.

I had a few of those GZ Boulder 30w panels and they are very nice. 60w won't get you a ton of juice, but should help for a weekend of you are judicious with your power consumption.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The Zamp port on the tongue box is wired for the vendor Zamp's products, it is not wired reversed. Other vendors chose to wire their connections opposite of what Zamp does. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RlethbriRlethbri Member Posts: 38
    Y'all are confusing. I'll contact Zamp and GZ and see what they recommend. 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Confusing :-)
    As Verna says, the solar port on the T@B is wired for Zamp panels. Some others like GoalZero cables are wired opposite (reversed). What's negative on Zamp is positive on some others. Just have to make sure you get your GoalZero cable reversed (a reversing cable) or go into your battery box, disconnect the Zamp cable and reconnect the opposite way.
    The former is pretty easy. If the latter, just make sure you don't plug in a Zamp. If you sell your T@B make sure you reverse it back to Zamp standard as that's what it's advertised for.
    Make sense?
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited September 2016
    I'd change it back, it's got a Zamp sticker right next to the port so that's what's expected.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358

Not to confuse the issue even more, but to use the 12V Battery Tender with the Zamp outlet, I had to purchase this reverse polarity cord:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHCWGOO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has worked great for six months.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    OutbackAZ, I purchased the same one, and it works like a champ! I bought it to use with my Renogy Solar panels w/ controller. This part actually takes all the "confusion" clear out of the equation because you simply plug in one end, plug in the other end, and you're done! The two pin SAE plugs are also available on Amazon as well as cables. I would suggest getting someone on the phone for your particular application though Rlethbri, as you are mixing two different manufacturers products, and might be dealing with polarity issues from panel manufacturer to panel manufacturer [Goal Zero to Zamp, or vice versa]. Probably wouldn't hurt to call both, and get both perspectives on your issue to make sure it is even feasible. Only MY opinion, but that's what I would do in your case. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Rlethbri said:
    Y'all are confusing. I'll contact Zamp and GZ and see what they recommend. 
    I suggest using a multimeter/continuity checker to confirm exactly which battery pole connects to which pin on the Zamp receptacle (which is nothing more than a garden-variety SAE connector). If you don't have a multimeter, you could even do this visually. This will leave no doubt as to how you should wire the leads from your panels.

With all due respect to the solar gurus out there, references to "reversing polarity" are confusing. As Verna suggested above, you are NOT reversing polarity, only swapping which pin carries the + vs - leads on which end of the SAE connector.

In such a simple circuit, it's so much easier to just check it for yourself rather than hope somebody (either here or at tech support) gives you the right answer. 
    2015 T@B S