Options

Best Practices for Wetbath/Sewer Use?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
I have not seen much posted on best practices for using the wetbath, particularly in terms of the sewer tanks. Has anyone used theirs enough to establish best practices? I understand many try to use campground facilities when possible, but these tanks are small and would love feedback on:

1) Any problems people have had
2) How do you know how full your tanks are?
3) Cleaning and deodorizing your tanks
4) Anything that makes usage different than other RVs.

I have purchased a sewer hose, a Flush King elbow, Happy Campers Organic RV Holding Tank Treatment, disposable gloves and the risers for the sewer hose. I still need to pick up a hose for the Flush King.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Jenn -- I have not used my sewer hose yet, although I purchased the Rhino Flex. One thing to consider for shorter camping trips (weekend) so you don't have to bother with dumping, are the Go Anywhere disposable waste bags. They are sturdy and have "poo" powder in them to absorb the liquid and odor. I get them online when they are on sale through Camping World, and they end up costing about $2.00/bag. You can get a couple of "uses" out of them. ;) They fit under the lid of your toilet.
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Wanderoo said:

Jenn -- I have not used my sewer hose yet, although I purchased the Rhino Flex. One thing to consider for shorter camping trips (weekend) so you don't have to bother with dumping, are the Go Anywhere disposable waste bags. They are sturdy and have "poo" powder in them to absorb the liquid and odor. I get them online when they are on sale through Camping World, and they end up costing about $2.00/bag. You can get a couple of "uses" out of them. ;) They fit under the lid of your toilet.

Thanks, Beth. I have and use the Travel John products, which are similar, but I am looking for some advice using the hookups and best practices.

For example, how can you tell when you need to empty your tank? Do you make educated guesses and shine a light down the toilet with the gate open to verify? Do you have a system or process worked out for dumping the tanks? Are there things about dumping or using the wetbath set up on the T@b that would differ from other RVs?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    Hi, Jenn, We have a wetbath,also. We empty the tank each time we camp. Our trips have been short one night stays, so far. We will be traveling for a one week time period on an upcoming trip. I'll let you know how it goes. The black tank is not very big, nor is the grey tank. I really don't know how to tell when it is time to empty the black tank.
    I guess we'll figure this out together.
    Keep in touch.
    I did purchase a hose carrier and attached it to the side of the trailer. We put the sewer hose in the carrier. I store the connectors in a water proof bag and keep the bag inside the housing on the trailer. What do you do with your sewer hose?
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    Jenn -- In my new T@B, there was already a white PVC pipe installed vertically inside the front accessory box.

While the sewer hose is too long (15') to fit entirely in the vertical PVC pipe, the hose is stiff enough to fit across the top of the front accessory box and angle downwards. There is an anchor bar on the side of the accessory box which I affixed the rest of the hose to by putting together two "ball" bungee cords. I can't believe how secure this is, and I am very pleased with this solution for storing my sewer hose. The accessory cover can be closed easily and latched. I did have to take off one of the bayonette fittings on the hose. However, this doesn't cause me heartburn because I need to save on space!!!! =P~ imageimage
  • Options

Hi, Jenn, We have a wetbath,also. We empty the tank each time we camp. Our trips have been short one night stays, so far. We will be traveling for a one week time period on an upcoming trip. I'll let you know how it goes. The black tank is not very big, nor is the grey tank. I really don't know how to tell when it is time to empty the black tank.
    I guess we'll figure this out together.
    Keep in touch.
    I did purchase a hose carrier and attached it to the side of the trailer. We put the sewer hose in the carrier. I store the connectors in a water proof bag and keep the bag inside the housing on the trailer. What do you do with your sewer hose?

My T@b is due to arrive at the end of April...so this is all planning for now.

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Nice setup for the hose Beth.

Both gray and black water tanks should be cleaned regularly. Here is a great little article from Good Sam about keeping a black water tank clean.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Last message was cut off not sure what happens, but I apologize for it seeming so abrupt.

Beth, that is a great set up. I noticed the PVC pipe when I peaked into the unlocked T@bs at LG HQ on Sunday during my exploration of eastern OH on my way back to Pittsburgh. I would also like to install a floor into the accessory box so I can store set-up type of gear inside. I think poultry flooring might be a good option for that.

• Options
    Great set up. I'd also like to put a floor in the access. box.
  • Options
    I forgot that I snapped a photo of the accessory box. image

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited March 2014
    The factory is looking at the potential for a galvanized front cover storage area for their trailers, but nothing is set in stone as they are exploring this idea and do have a bid out. The question or problem with this is whether or not the diamond plate can be bent or formed into the same configuration as the current fiberglass covers on the T@B's and T@G units they are building. The cover would be built using the same specs as the current shroud and will also have an open bottom area. They are exploring this idea now and whether or not it is even feasible will be determined in the near future.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    That's an interesting tidbit, Mike. That would be a nice improvement.

• Options
    TABooTABoo Member Posts: 30
    Hi folks, Just bought a new t@b S and was wondering if I need a 15' hose or if I could go with a 10'. I got a viper 15', but am happy to exchange it. Also, any suggestions on brands? Any other pieces/parts I should invest in to make dumping less of a task?
  • Options
    TABoo said:
    Hi folks, Just bought a new t@b S and was wondering if I need a 15' hose or if I could go with a 10'. I got a viper 15', but am happy to exchange it. Also, any suggestions on brands? Any other pieces/parts I should invest in to make dumping less of a task?
    You might consider: a Flush King elbow, disposable gloves and the risers for the sewer hose. The Flush King will allow you to attach a garden hose to your black tank to rinse it out. The risers for your sewer hose will help everything keep moving during dumping.

• Options
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I went a 15' hose for that reason but not sure if it is quite long enough. What length did you find the most suitable?

• Options
    You need at least 15 ' of sewer hose. T@B comes with a hose, I think 10'. We found that you need 15' at min. Because we have a clamshell,, we move our T@b where we can have the most privacy and view of waterfront for our campsite. 5' can make a difference.
  • Options
    We store our hose in a pvc carrier that is I n stalled on the right side if the trailer. Called Easy Hose Carrier. Would be better on left side but black and grey tanks are on that side.
    We will put another shorter carrier on the left side soon. We store the connectors in a separate storage bag.
  • Options
    I was out on the lot checking out the inspection of my new T@B. I ask is that hose my hose, yes ma'am. I said put it my T@B. Thank you, sir.
  • Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    Nice! Someone got a free hose. Mine didn't come with one.
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    I didn't get a free hose, either.  I bought a 15'.  The storage lot where I store my ClemenT@B has a dump station that is accessible with a very short hose.  I'll see how that works for the first year. ;)
  • Options
    Anybody figured out a way to monitor tanks? The black water tank is so small that one can look, but fresh water tanks are trickier.
  • Options
    Monitor?  - 3 quick showers, 4 dishwashings - time to empty. 
  • Options
    stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
    I bought hoses (25ft worth), connectors, adapters and flexible hose supports...used 'em a couple times...and then I discovered the garden hose adapter for gray water tanks...and since my Q only has gray water and the garden hose takes up a whole lot less space...I have a bunch of flexible hose paraphernalia almost free to a good home. I plan on taking all this stuff to the Pacific NW T@B, Tada & Glampers Rally May 16, 17 & 18 in Salem OR if you are in need for your T@B S...
    Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback
  • Options
    Stan -- Where is your hookup from the garden hose to the gray water tank?  Now, you got me to thinkin' . . . I want one of those adaptors, but I can't remember where it hooks up to the T@B's gray water tank?  Is there another end with a garden hose adapter that screws onto the grey water dump outlet???? :-/
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You need the adapter to go on the sewer connection on the tongue of the trailer. Here's what I got:
    http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T1020-5VP-Water-Drain-Adapter/dp/B000HDIBDI

• Options
    Stan -- THANKS!  I'm heading to Camping World after work.  I'll look there for it.  I think this will be a slick set-up.  =D>
  • Options
    Beth, If you have the wet bath, then I don't know where your drain for the gray water is. The garden hose is NOT for use with Black water (toilet). I hope I didn't mislead you...
  • Options

Stan - No, I've no intentions of using it for the black water tank.  The 2014 T@B S M@zxx has both a black water drain and a gray water drain.  I want to use it to hook up my gray water tank so I don't have to empty it while I'm de-winterizing my T@B.  I'm going to use the disposable "poo powder" bags if I use the toilet.  I'm still new at all this, and using the dump station is a little further away down my learning curve.  Right now, I'm just trying to navigate the Alde system, de-winterizing, and making sure the refrigerator and stove work!!! 

I think I found the right components.  I'm going to try all this out next weekend.  Thanks for your guidance.

[-O<
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Wanderoo... we used disposables for our last outing, and it worked great. Good luck on the outing!
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    edited April 2014
    Beth ... just an FYI  .... using the dump station is a piece of cake. After doing it a couple times, it takes a couple minutes at the most. Most dump stations are designed with a drive up that allows left side access to the sump. You just unscrew the cap off the camper outlet (maybe 1/8 of a turn) and twist on the hose the same way. Plug the other end of the hose into the hole in the ground and pull the handle on the valve. That's pretty much all there is to it. If the sump is at ground level stuff flows pretty easily. If the sump is slightly elevated I usually just pick the hose up a few inches (near the T@B) and walk it along towards the sump in order to get the water to go downhill into the sump. The only word of caution .... don't forget to re-install the cap on the end of the discharge tube when you're done. From my experience, they don't travel well being dragged down the highway  ;)  I do not have a black water tank so all this is in reference to emptying the grey water. Also, not sure if you were talking exclusively about the black water disposal or not.