Options

Best Practices for Wetbath/Sewer Use?

2»

Comments

• Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    I know this is an older post, but I have some of the same questions about caring for the tanks and how do you tell if they are full.  I figured out on my own that the grey tank is full when it starts backing up in the sink and shower, but don't really want to have that experience with the black tank.  I've read that you should rinse out the tanks, but I don't know exactly how to do it.  Is there an intake for rinsing or do you just take a hose and flush water through the sinks and toilet.  Also, I see there is an access panel behind the toilet.  What is the purpose?  I was really excited to see the posts about the disposable waste bags.  I really won't need to use the black water tank very much, especially at first, so this will be a great short term solution.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754

I use the Valterra back flush capability to rinse out both tanks whenever we dump.  Since we've only been out 4 times in the 6 weeks we've had the T@B I haven't had to do a complete rinse...but I've read in this forum suggestions for doing a bleach/water rinse that makes sense (esp. at the end of the season).   I've also seen these "magic wands" (stick down the toilet and sprays round & round) at several RV places: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40074-Flexible-Swivel-Shutoff/dp/B0006IX7YC , so that may be an option depending on how much you use the tanks.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    p.s. rinsing is indeed just getting water into the tanks (through the toilet for black, through the sink or shower for the gray) and dumping them out through the gate valves.  The access panel in the shower is just for the water pump.  And I agree with Neil...that you shouldn't be afraid of the dumping process...it really is pretty easy.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited August 2014
    The only thing I have found a little tricky is the height of the grey tank, depending on the site. It sometimes sits so low that you really need to raise the tongue jack a bit to get a decent angle for everything to be able to run downhill.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RetAFRetAF Member Posts: 13
    i have read and experienced this and I hope it doesn't offend anyone.  If the holding tank isn't "washed" out properly, the material in the holding tank will soon solidify and turn to "rock" sort of.... and it can't be removed and the remedy as I read is to replace the holding tank.  It can't be chiseled out because of the lack of work area.
  • Options
    Bob_EBob_E Member Posts: 4
    I found that the excess sewer hose that hangs over the PVC pipe in the front storage compartment is subject to abrasion on the sharp edges of the PVC while on a trip. A rubber U-shaped gasket material glued over the pipe should help. My hose leaked so I cut it back so it doesn't extend over the top of the pipe. I'll find out soon if it's too short.