T@b camping

Hello,

An RV is good enough for camping as it is, especially a T@b but sometimes even the T@b is not enough. Me personally, I like sleeping outside. But if I have to drag the mattress out for the night that's going to ruin my experience. So I figured I need a mattress to sleep outside, you know, without having to endure exactly that. I don't want to replace anything, I just need an extra ai mattress.

Initially, I was looking for something like this Thermarest mattress but it's not cheap. Maybe I'm too slef-conscious about that and any Intex mattress would suffice?

Comments

• KlimserKlimser Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2016
    KaydenBen said:
    I don't want to replace anything, I just need an extra AI mattress.
    FTFY

Edit:
    On a more serious note, though, the first thing you need to consider is your budget. That particular mattress is not the cheapest one around, you know. The second thing you worth note is if you actually need a mattress. This sleeping bag would be a good solution to your problem, if you don't have to stretch your budget to purchase it, that is. And if you don't really need an air mattress.

As a matter of fact, that really depends on how you travel. Since this is a T@b forum, it's reasonable to expect that you are not quite as limited as a hiker is. The weight does not matter much, only the volume.

An air mattress is something that doesn't take much space and is relatively lightweight but they are too easy to damage. The first two things are critically important for those who move on foot and they outweigh other concerns but it's different for T@b owners. I'd recommend a different solution, thankfully, air mattresses are not the only options when it comes to camping. While I doubt a futon is such a good alternative, a foldable mattress that isn't really portable but much easier to handle sounds like a plan. 

• CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    @KaydenBen I am trying to figure out what you want to do here?  Are you looking to occasionally sleep in a T@B tent or simply under the stars? 

Maybe just a camp cot would do the trick?

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Take a blowup mattress.  They are quite comfortable and compact for storage.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • JacobyOJacobyO Member Posts: 35
    I use a Thermarest when tent camping and have used it for weeks on end. I can say that they are extremely comfortable and much less of a hassle than a blowup mattress. I found it to be more comfortable than a blow up actually. No sagging or deflating. 
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thermorest or other name brand is my choice. Roll it up, strap it so it doesn't open unexpectantly, fold up sheets and blanket and put those in my pillowcase and store it all behind the sofa during the day. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Remember to follow the instructions on the thermarest and leave a valve open when not in use. Don't keep it blown up because air expands in very hot temps if your T@B is left sitting in the sun :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    How about a Paco Pad?  http://www.nrs.com/product/2706/super-paco-sleeping-pad

If you are near the Four Corners region of the US you can swing by Jack's Plastics to see if they have any seconds at a discounted price.

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    After 50 years of camping in tents with various air mattresses, foam pads, Thermarests, and sleeping bags, I'd prefer to have a cot up off the ground. I slept on a cot for 2 months while on an extended camping trip in Minnesota some years ago and it was far better than any Thermarest! Folding Cot has my vote.....
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I second a good cot! After 50 plus years of tent camping I upgraded this summer to a Coleman cot with a small side table attached for glasses and such. I was afraid I would need a small mat on that, but it was very comfortable and very stable, even sitting right on the edge to put shoes on etc. Even though we will probably be in a T@B next season, the cot will come with us for outdoor naps I think.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red