Options

3-Way Frig - Grommet with Window on Burner

So how important is this (see pictures)? I was having a hard time lighting the unit on propane. I opened the side panel to see if my zip ties to the gas lines bumped anything (they didn't) and saw this little guy hanging sort of off the burner in the back. When I touched it, it rolled away. I captured it, tried to put it back in it's little tiny hole (I hate grommet washers) and had no luck. The grommet has a little glass window in it. How important is it to have that little hole in the burner plugged up? BTW, the frig started up perfected on propane after the little window grommet rolled onto the frig bottom. I couldn't get it back in, even taking the grill off and the bracket to get my arm in there. The window grommet is like what someone has on a hot water heater to see if the pilot is still on. The little sucker isn't more than the size of a dime. The hole is half the size of a dime.

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    It's important!
    Got it back in the little hole with some soap, holding my breath, and holding my mouth just so....
    I've never run the frig on propane except to test it. All is well now!
    I even tested the temp under the stove burner running on full and it just got warm to the touch. 

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    "It's important" <- Why, what's it do?
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, I was wondering the same thing! Ratkity, 'ya kinda' left us hangin' here! [intentional?] =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Yeah--do tell!

I'm gonna guess it's exactly what you suggested in your OP; a tiny sight glass for the fridge's propane burner. I would also think not having it in place would create an air leak that might interfere with the proper functioning of the burner.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited October 2016
    It's a tiny sight glass for the propane burner. Scott is correct: not having it place can cause a propane build-up when lighting the burner and when the burner is lit, it can aerate the burner instead of the vent hose. This can build up CO under the stove and eventually into the cabin. It can also cause the flame to burn "orange" - it should be blue. This causes soot build-up in the flue tube and burner. After looking at the cooling side of the frig, I can tell you that it is packed in there with little room to spare. Servicing the burner on our frigs are not as easy as on big rigs with outside access panels. 

I'd really hate to have to spend a weekend pulling the frig. I'd let a service center do it because of lack of experience properly connecting propane gas lines - those all have to be pulled, including the stove propane line, then deal with the outside fans most of us added and the electrical items. All just to get to the burner in the back. Ugh. 

PS - how it was originally not properly in place is a mystery. What matters is that it is securely back in place. I'm glad I saw it and glad I have small hands and am stubborn.