Options

Lagun pinch (carriage) bolts/nuts (in ratcheting handles, Elesa brand) need lubrication.

Installed Lagun system 6 months ago into our ’16 CS-S.   Very good modification.
Last week noticed one of the handles did not operate freely.  Total removal of handle required significant leverage but it finally came off.
Threads were damaged on pinch bolt and nut to a lesser degree. (ok, maybe I tightened it too much at some point).  Pinch bolt and nut in handle are both stainless steel (initially designed for boats…) which is more susceptible to galling which is what was wrong with my threads.
Lagun distributor said new lever available…for $35 plus shipping.  Disappointing…no goodwill replacement for extremely new product?   Did not try Pleasant Valley.  At Amazon least expensive Elesa replacement was about $11 plus $9 shipping…  So I went to local Ace Hardware.
I replaced stainless carriage bolt with new steel bolt (M8, 1.25 thread pitch, 2 inches long, match what comes out of yours if ever needed) and cleaned nut threads in handle as well as I could.  Even if mounted outside all but mounting plate travels inside trailer or TV, so stainless not critical.  
I reassembled with a healthy amount of lithium grease on threads and it works well, and when adding grease to other two bolts/nuts discovered a little galling.  With grease all seem to be ok.  Time will tell.   

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Vikings: please note many of us on the forum do not share your level of expertise. I have no idea what a "pinch bolt" or "galling" is. Some photos would be very helpful. Also, and perhaps related, I had a handle "seize up." It would not move in either direction. Called Elsie at NuCamp who sent me out a new arm.  I have been simply amazed at the level of customer service from the factory.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @OutbackAZ, was that your left or right arm. I know some of these parts cost an arm and a leg, but always wondered which side? :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I thought that was you on Comedy Central last night Ratkity!
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Outback AZ...top photo shows three ratcheting levers, 2nd shows one up close along with slot cut from arm so that when you tighten ratchet/bolt (ie pinch bolt)  the arm pinches pivot locking table in place, and 3rd shows ratchet and bolt removed next to one still installed.  See Wikipedia for Galling def.  Grease the threads of bolt and ratchet.   And now it is time for wine as Ratkity reminded me my arms are sort of sore...

• Options
    Outback AZ...ps...I bet what happened to yours was exactly what I had happen and have described,  thus perhaps this post will be helpful.  

• Options
    Yep - that's exactly how mine looked.  Will grease them all.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Vikings, what is that cording across the back of your clamshell in the first picture?  How is the table working mounted in that position?  I like how you modified the under bench area to support the mounting bracket.  It looks like you made a bigger table, too.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Sam,
    Cording is just bungee cord which holds up the two smaller bed slats in stored position when not in use.   Upper hook is into a brace as cover panel too flimsy, so I removed it to find brace and then reinstalled.
    Table works fine but if 4 people eating one in back drivers side position has to get in and stay put while table positioned in center. 
    Table actually smaller...29.5 inches square which was my choice, and it can spin to back or front against drivers side cushions freeing up space when not needed for dinner party of four.   Two smaller slats are wider at 14 each versus 12 inches. 
    Table and slats are 3/8 inch maple veneer plywood with 1 inch square edge pieces of maple, rabbited (3/8' groove on inside top) to accept plywood.  (Have to fiddle with ends of two to make those end joints fit.)  Just glued and clamped in place.  3/4 inch plywood block, glued only to bottom of 3/8" table plywood, accepts screws for Lagun mounting plate.  
    This 3/8" plywood with edges as described seems to be plenty strong to support us (150 and 130 lbs) while sleeping.  And overall table and slat weight reduced by over 20 lbs, probably more considering weight of collapsible metal frame of original table (which I never could get to work right...).  

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Nice.  Glue cuts down on the labor here!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    tabasco_jimtabasco_jim Member Posts: 54
    You could substitute the grease with never seize bolt lube.
    2017 T@B Max S, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Birmingham, Al