Options

Fridge Fan - Elec vs Propane

Until my recent fridge problem, I'd never run my fridge on electric even when I had a hookup - Always ran on propane.
Since I was waiting on a part, I had no coice but to either treat it as an ice box (total pain in the rear) or find campgrounds with hookups. After five days and now back on propane what I found is that the fridge fan runs at least five times as often on electric. There are days - actually days on end - where I don't hear the fan kick on - especially in the cool of the night - when on propane. Not even close running on elec.
Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    Kinda sorta. I notice that when I'm pre-chilling the fridge in the driveway (on AC) the fan seems to run more that when I'm in camp running on propane. However, I never paid enough attention to it to determine if other factors like ambient temp, shade, etc. were at play.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL,  I have to agree. We noticed what you are describing to a tee when we camped with shore power on our last trip. Only having used the fridge on propane prior to this, I was actually shocked how often the fan not only stayed on, but "cycled" as well. From now on, while camping we'll be sticking to propane. The only time I plan on using electric [whether shore power, or battery] will be to pre-chill the fridge. The fridge is so miserly with propane, I often wonder why folks even bother with turning it on shore power, or 12V while camping, other than to each their own choice of keeping it running.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    So far today, 10 hours into daylight, the fan has kicked on but once and that didn't last long.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Yup, ditto.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    If I was doing hookups a great deal, I'd definetly replace the fans with quieter ones as some have done.